Android Remote App Problems

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cividan said:
What version of android are you running and on what brand of phone?

Its an unbranded cheap Chinese tablet running Android 4.4.2 - I don't know what version of Android it starts failing at but I suspect 7 and above (not tested!).
It is connecting to the original PHEV I app (I think there are security issues with this version) using the older 9 character password.

To be honest it really is not a great experience but that said, being able to de-ice/de-mist the car without going outside is pretty cool.

I can't help you diagnose the problem, because I don't know what steps you've followed and how far you've got.

So this is more general advice.

When trying to establish connection via the app for the first time, there is a point in the middle where your android device will auto connect to your home network by mistake.

There are a couple of ways around this:

1. Perform the steps somewhere that you have never connected your android device to wifi.
2. Forget your local wifi settings before starting the procedure.

I lucked on to this after a lot of experimentation at home and monitoring access to my home wifi.

AndyInOz said:
I can't help you diagnose the problem, because I don't know what steps you've followed and how far you've got.

So this is more general advice.

When trying to establish connection via the app for the first time, there is a point in the middle where your android device will auto connect to your home network by mistake.

There are a couple of ways around this:

1. Perform the steps somewhere that you have never connected your android device to wifi.
2. Forget your local wifi settings before starting the procedure.

I lucked on to this after a lot of experimentation at home and monitoring access to my home wifi.

That's a good suggestion, I will try that. I had try to forgot the phone bluetooth from the car also but didn't help. I'll try over the week end and write down all the step i'm doing wether it's success or fail and report back.

In order to connect your SmartPhone with the PHEV app to your Outlander, you must first disable Data and Bluetooth on your smartphone. Other communications network disrupt the communications between the Car and the Smartphone.

Once I figured that it worked ok. However the range is still very very limited and you cannot do much with the app.

good luck

JP

I think there's something 'flakey' in the system. I managed to link my new Android to the car when I got it. I could turn the lights on and exciting things like that...
Then it seemed that the car might be out of range, but didn't even connect (connection error) when in the car.
I removed the app and reinstalled it (maybe a newer version now?)
Sadly, i seem to have mislaid the information I need to be able to register.
As i never know what time I'll need the car, the app would be useful to warm the car up before I get in. Timed heating is not much good unless you work to a schedule.
What am I looking for to find the key-fob details?

Ok I was able to make it work on 2 different phone, Blackberry PRIV (Android 6) and Motorola G6 Play (Android 9) after reading a from this thread and from the official mitsubishi diagnostic page
here's an update on my test and how I made it work:

1- Turn on "Air plane mode"
2- Reactive WiFi
2b- "Make sure location service is on" (at least for the initial pairing)
3- Launch the "PHEV app"
4- use the app all you need
5- VERY IMPORTANT - leave the app by using the "back button", if the app spin for more than 2-3 secondes re-open the app and close it again using the "back button"
6- Deactivate the "air plane mode"
7- close the app like you would close any other app as the app stays in background.
8- user your phone like you would normally do.

Repeat when you need to use the app,
I know that this is a real pain but at least it work. I will try to install an app that was suggested earlier in this thread to have wifi + cellular data working to see if I can avoid using air plane mode each time I want to use the app.
I just sent this information to my sale guy as apparently not many people know how to make this app work.

edit: added step 2b as the app now seem to require location service "ON" at least for the initial pairing.

This is how I managed to connect a Huawei P10 lite (Android 8) and a Huawei Mate 20 lite (Android 9) to my 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV in 3 not-easy steps:

1. went to an authorized dealer to update the car software to get rid of "Error 2104: no security update"
2.1. reset the car's wifi (see below)
2.2. uninstalled and re-installed this app on my phone
3. disabled mobile data (3G/4G) on my phone, disabled WiFi calling, NFC, bluetooth. Left only WiFi and Location Services on. Opened the app the followed the instructions

WiFi Reset Procedure ( copied from https://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=38426#p38426 )
1. Get in the car and Fully close the Drivers door.
2. IMPORTANT - All steps below must be performed within a total of 30 seconds.
3. Without pressing the brake pedal, press the power button once so that it glows orange (ACC mode).
4. Turn on the Hazard lights.
5. Now quickly alternately press and release the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the key fob 5 times, i.e. 10 presses in total. This must be done within 10 seconds of pressing the Power button ON as in (1) above.
6. Listen for one BEEP, followed by 0, 1 or 2 more beeps.
7. Now quickly alternately press the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the key fob another 10 times each within 10 seconds, i.e. another 20 presses.
8. Listen for one BEEP, followed by 0 more beeps.

Back