Angel Eyes Fitted

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jthspace

The rain stopped, so I was able to fit the Angel Eyes. It was very easy, I took a fewpictures, but not really necessary; just makes the post more interesting.

First, the plastic surround has to be removed - very easy. With a plastic tip (insulation tape) on a small flat bladed screwdriver, I gently pushed it in about a half inch / 1 cm in the top gap about the 10 o'clock position. Gently pushed away from me and the unit popped off.

I removed the whole unit - three screws, so I could fit the Angel Eye in comfort.

The 80cm Angel Eye was glued to the glass using a standard domestic glue. I heated the spotlight with a hairdryer and put some glue carefully around the back of the Angel Eye ring. I left the glue to get tacky (about 20 minutes in this temperature - 12C). At the same time, I made sure there was an extra blob over the wires where they are soldered to the Angel Eye ring.

There is a tiny box which is a small printed circuit and is the controller for the LED's. These did not look waterproof, so I glued the box together instead of relying on the clips and filled the hole where the wires protrude with glue to make them waterproof. Probably unnecessary, but took a few minutes and it kept me occupied while the glue on the rings went tacky.

I aligned the ring equally on the glass and left for 20 minutes to start to harden. After that time, I then went around the outside edge and put a bead of glue all the way around. This was necessary as the curve of the glass meant that in some places, the ring had lifted from the glass.

I connected the wire to the existing plug and refitted everything. The original and the LED ring are lit - I am not sure yet whether to remove the original bulb or leave it on as well. The next photo is the unit refitted and switched on. Unfortunately, the camera does not do the lights justice, the LED's are very bright. They are the ones from the link below.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281595738517

Jeff

Did you glue the angle eyes onto the outside of the DRL and fog light?

PHEV November 2014
4hs
Polar white
Protection pack and dog guard

mikehep said:
Did you glue the angle eyes onto the outside of the DRL and fog light?

Yes, he did, It's the only way to do it. I think. That's what I did too. It's a very easy and worthwhile upgrade, IMO.

I only glued the Angel Eyes to the glass of the fog light. When the cover goes back on it just touches the led ring so no need to glue anywhere near that. It is a a simple job. Also, if you ever had to remove the led ring, the Bostik will come off the glass with a craft knife and some solvent.

Jeff

I opted for the more expensive version that has the LED where the chrome ring is on the plastic cover. I suspect that when you glue to the glass lens, the gap that allows access to clips that hold the plastic cover to be removed is not as accessible. Will make changing a fog lamp more difficult.

I am very happy with the angel eyes. I notice that the plastic surrounds on EU models seem to be alittle different to the AUS version. The new ones with angel eyes installed I have are the same shape as the ones shown on the pics above.

Us poor relations don't have a chrome ring! The mod as described doesn't affect later access, the plastic cowl still pops off from the outside.

Now if I can get hold of an Aussie type cowl (and it would fit), I could have double angel eyes! How cool would that be? Got a part number, gwatpe? or even a pic?

I can confirm that the covers still pop off easily, the Angel Eyes do not, in any way, affect the cowl. I am very happy with the result, and for the cost, (minimal), a very cheap and effective modification.

Ah, that's a shame. Looks like you wouldn't be able to have both. I thought it would be a plastic cowl only, with a built in angel eye, not a complete combined light unit. Never mind.

That's more the thing I was thinking of. Where did you pick up the supply? The ones I fitted are individually wired, simply connect to the original DRL connectors.

Funny you should ask about powering the DRL on an AUS shipped PHEV that is not supplied standard with a DRL function.

The is a lack of access holes between the engine bay and the passenger bay. I did not find any easy access switched wires under the hood, so I routed a temp wire in through the drivers door and into the cigar lighter. This is a switched GP outlet.

The LED's are not recessed, but are in the same relative position of the chrome ring on the plastic pressed in cover panel.

The LED's consume very little current. Mine had a flicker, so I added 10ohms to the feed wire,and all is good. I think the power supply is rated to 13.8V, and the 14.3V the PHEV seems to operate about is a bit too high, so the resistor drops a volt or so and the flicker stopped.

Thanks, gwatpe. Has anyone found a spare electric connector anywhere? There must surely be some. If not, I'll have to go looking for myself!

I read a post about camping a few weeks ago and in the post it stated that to emergency start the car, attach a jump lead to a connector in the main fuse box under the bonnet. It also assumed that this has a feed directly to the battery in the boot. So, it would be possible to take a feed from here, I would assume.

If you buy a DRL kit, it comes with a controller that switches the LEDs on when power is connected and off when headlights are on. You could, maybe, control this with a wire to the parking lights but that would mean switching them on when you drive. They won't automatically come on as the controller is usually connected straight across the battery and senses when the engine is running/charging the battery and turns the lights on and off accordingly. Unfortunately we don't have the luxury (ha ha) of having an engine running all the time.

So, there probably is power available under the bonnet, I think you would have to find one of the fused circuits in the fuse box that is only live when the ignition is on. Sunroof maybe? That way, the lights would come on when the car has ignition on and off when on ACC or shut down. Just a thought.

Do not tap or cut wires. Use this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Add-A-Circuit-Fuse-Holder-Standard-20amp/dp/1550063146

Do not assume that the fuses are on a switched cct. The relays are controlled by the power button, and the fuse protects the relay and the load, and is in most cases directly connected to the battery main line, unswitched.

I did find a switched fuse in the smaller fuse block, one for a motor, I think battery cooling pump. Trouble is this is also activated by the corded recharging. For the moment the cigar lighter socket is OK.

Have a pic of installed lights. Don't look as bright in daylight.

halo_rings.gif

PS edit : there is plenty of room for a second ring glued to the glass lens of the Fog lamp.

Back