Annoying Rattle From Central Console

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neverfuel

I keep hearing a rattle when going over bumps from somewhere in the drivers central console area. I have tried to locate it, and first thought it was the handbrake button or the glovebox. I have tried holding them when I hear the noise to no avail. Emptied glovebox, and central armrest console, still the same. I haven't dropped anything down the hole before anyone suggests that.

Any ideas?

What about the tray in the central armrest, assume you removed it?

Have you tried driving with the lid up? Same with glovebox, lid open.

Hate squeaks and rattles, they are sooo hard to find.

I have a diesel ZJ Outlander, which, for months has been driving me crazy with an annoying rattle emanating from the dash/console area. It is almost impossible to pinpoint such ratles when driving. Wives are no good at finding them for you. ;)

Now I don't know how different a PHEV dash is to a diesel dash, but I'm betting they use similar or identical components. I fixed my rattle just a couple of days ago, and here's how-

The dash panels are held on by white plastic peg-like clips that are slipped over flat posts on the back of the various dash trims. When the trim sections are pushed into position, the white plastic clips click in to mating sockets in the dash skeleton. It is THESE plastic peg-like clips that rattle, especially with a vibrating diesel at low revs/high torque.

By pulling off two of the dash panels - one above the centre console, and a shiny black one surrounding the radio/multimedia player, I found that the white clips vibrate profusely when the removed panels are lightly tapped. I was able to remove the peg clips and put a thin layer of silicon sealer onto the flat posts, then reinstall the clips.

Having reinstalled the panels onto the dash, the rattles have completely gone. I am stoked.

If you think this might be your problem please PM me if you need guidance about removing the dash panels.

Back