Anticipated Fuel Economy

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markf17

Hello, new user and so my apologises if this question should have posted in a specific section.

I''m a company car driver looking to change from ny current car in early March 17 and am seriously considering the GX5HS model, can anyone tell me what I can realistically expect in terms of fuel ecomony figures please, I''m sceptical of this 156mpg claim. I won't be an electric user all the time, hence the question of course, moot point if I was to be, but will be clocking motorway miles using petrol.

Secondly, I have two requirements and wonder if they are all available options, running bars (I know these are) and rear seat entertainment - is anyone able to advise please.

Thank you for taking the time to read and for replying if you do.

Regards,
Mark - UK.

I too am a company car driving 'road warrior' though I have cut down by 20% to around 35,000 mile pa.

When I'm able, I cruise at a Sat Nav regulated 70mph and try to save battery power for the city or town I am heading to so use petrol when on the motorway for hour after hour. I use the performance of the car, but with the mechanical sympathy you would expect of a 52 year old that has driven more than 1.25million miles with only 2 accidents! I.e. When I accelerate, if the ICE cuts in I don't worry too much and life really is too short to be constantly changing a B setting to try and get a few seconds of recharge from braking - use the save function but otherwise, let the car do its thing.

The car is an 1800Kg brick that is very quiet, extremely comfortable with an excellent view over the bonnet, but the honest answer to your question is.......35mpg.

But the exceptionally low BIK rate, free parking in Westminster, pay£10 a year for free Congestion Charge and it really is good for your pocket.

You have seen the running bars, the car comes with darkened glass from the B pillar back anyway, and as for the rear entertainment - I'm certain a local auto electrical company (or your dealer) can help

Fuel economy is totally dependent on the distance you drive between charges. While you are within the EV range, petrol consumption is zero or close to zero depending on your driving style. As soon as the battery goes flat, petrol consumption is between 30 and 40 (possibly 45) mpg depending on your driving style. For any given distance, it is pretty easy to estimate the overall fuel consumption based upon this.

Thank you both for your replies. It seems the Phev is not going to return in terms of MPG what I am used to but when you consider the financial savings then on paper and in logical thinking terms it is a no brainer isn't it. My current car by the way is the Audi A6 3ltr V6 diesel and this regularly returns 50+ mpg, travelling through the south of france two years ago it clocked 60mpg, that is impressive. Thank you both again for your time.
Mark.

Markf17 said:
Thank you both for your replies. It seems the Phev is not going to return in terms of MPG what I am used to but when you consider the financial savings then on paper and in logical thinking terms it is a no brainer isn't it. My current car by the way is the Audi A6 3ltr V6 diesel and this regularly returns 50+ mpg, travelling through the south of france two years ago it clocked 60mpg, that is impressive. Thank you both again for your time.
Mark.

Really, unless your daily average mileage is below about 50, the PHEV is not going to save you much, if anything, in terms of fuel economy relative to a moderate capacity "normal" car. If, like me, your usage consists of trips of three or four miles per day, several days per week plus a long trip each weekend, then the PHEV probably works out more expensive in fuel than a moderate "normal" car. Where it wins big time is if you are self employed or a company owner - then the BIK and corporation tax flexibility can be very valuable.

My weekday commute is 50 miles on most days and 75 miles on some days.

I also have my occasional 'family trips' (between 120 and 180 miles round trip). Also, out of the 57000 miles I have done so far, more than 10% have been while towing a 1500 kg caravan long distance. Nevertheless, my overall MPG is 76.

As others already said, it all depends ;)

At the moment the BIK is low. If you are in the 40% bracket then, tax year 16/17 you will be paying aprox £88 per month (with fuel £140) next tax year 17/18 £114 (with fuel £180), tax year 18/19 £164 (with fuel £260) these figures are from "comcar.co.uk"

For me it was a significant saving over my last company car and I'm not doing the miles I have previously done. I live within the range of the battery for the commute to work and most other mid week journeys (shops, Town etc..) so I can go three weeks without a drop of fuel being used. On longer journeys just running on the engine it returns 36-38mpg (I have a heavy foot!) what makes things worse and it makes it seem you are returning a poorer mileage is the small (in my opinion) fuel tank at 45Lts. At the moment a have my fuel paid for by the company. Do you claim your fuel costs?

I based the above costs on my 64 plate 4h, the model you go for will alter the costs up or down, but it is not too far from mine.

Just come from a Land Rover Discovery Sport with claimed 53 mpg that actually got 35 mpg so decided it had to go - I gave up a Range Rover Sport which actually achieved around 30 mpg out of a 3.0 SDV6 so to say I was disappointed is an understatement :evil:

Only had the PHEV a week and done 279 miles usually within battery range but a couple of longer trips went on to ICE and fuel gauge still showing over 3/4 remaining of the £40 I spent on full tank when I collected - these are my figures -

normal_DSC_0571.JPG

By my reckoning this works out at 150 mpg equivalent on battery (10p a KW) and the petrol mpg is rising daily with short trips - the opposite of every vehicle I owned before :mrgreen:

This morning the timed climate warmed the vehicle while in the garage thanks to electric heater - I had pre heater on RRS but couldn't use it in garage as it was diesel powered :roll:

I'm looking at a cable for charging when out and about but at the moment not sure it will be worth the expense - for someone doing longer trips I can see the benefit though :?

This is my first company car thanks to the tax incentives - it really was a no brainer for me :cool:

Markf17 said:
Hello, new user and so my apologises if this question should have posted in a specific section.

I''m a company car driver looking to change from ny current car in early March 17 and am seriously considering the GX5HS model, can anyone tell me what I can realistically expect in terms of fuel ecomony figures please, I''m sceptical of this 156mpg claim. I won't be an electric user all the time, hence the question of course, moot point if I was to be, but will be clocking motorway miles using petrol.

Secondly, I have two requirements and wonder if they are all available options, running bars (I know these are) and rear seat entertainment - is anyone able to advise please.

Thank you for taking the time to read and for replying if you do.

Regards,
Mark - UK.

Hi Mark
I supply this product and there is a new 17 model coming out soon. So keep your eyes peeled for information when released as at this stage we dont know anything at all except it will be slightly more expensive.
From experience with this product your not commutes are not ideal but you will gain some benefits if you charge as much as possible at home and office, if you drive in a style and choose roads that suits the product. Plus of course you will enjoy the BIK savings. It really comes down to the more you charge the more you subsidise your petrol bill. I have some clients who go months without using petrol (well over the 156mpg) whilst others never charge, bomb up and down motorways and get 30-40mpg.
You need to do your sums and drive the new product to see if its for you.

maby said:
Markf17 said:
Mark.

Really, unless your daily average mileage is below about 50, the PHEV is not going to save you much, if anything, in terms of fuel economy relative to a moderate capacity "normal" car. If, like me, your usage consists of trips of three or four miles per day, several days per week plus a long trip each weekend, then the PHEV probably works out more expensive in fuel than a moderate "normal" car. Where it wins big time is if you are self employed or a company owner - then the BIK and corporation tax flexibility can be very valuable.
It is not really the daily average, more like the average distance between charges. If one charges both at night and at work the sums work out better.

jaapv said:
maby said:
Markf17 said:
Mark.

It is not really the daily average, more like the average distance between charges. If one charges both at night and at work the sums work out better.
Indeed. When plans for the weekend don't change, I will hit the '4000 km on a single fill up' mark (almost 2500 miles) early next week, and hopefully pass it. Last stop at the gas station was August 7th. So, about a month and a half. To be able to reach this point, I have taken a full charge more than twice a day in average.

Mitssupplier said:
I supply this product and there is a new 17 model coming out soon. So keep your eyes peeled for information when released as at this stage we dont know anything at all except it will be slightly more expensive.

Well my dealer, when he came to pick up the car for a service on Monday told me that the new model will have a range of up to 90 miles. When i said that would mean more batteries and so more weight, he said no, because they are going to use Lithium ones :lol:

That doesn't sound right - I read the next gen are looking at 70 mile EV range on another thread :?

The only thing I can find about MY17 on web is this from USA http://handi.tech/2017-mitsubishi-outlander-phev-specs-price-release-date/ and although I know it's been postponed again there it seems logical the information will be relevant here - looks like 32 mpg range still, EPB and bigger cleaner touchscreen :cool:

2017-Mitsubishi-Outlander-PHEV-dashboard.jpg

2017-Mitsubishi-Outlander-PHEV-release-date.jpg

greendwarf said:
Mitssupplier said:

Well my dealer, when he came to pick up the car for a service on Monday told me that the new model will have a range of up to 90 miles. When i said that would mean more batteries and so more weight, he said no, because they are going to use Lithium ones :lol:

Ive not seen anything that relates to this :?: at this stage there is still an embargo as it wouldn't be in Mitsubishi UK's interest to release information whilst there is still a large quantity of current product in stock. 90 EV range would be nice but I dont think there will be any change if honest.

Possibly not in the international version. There are quite a few countries archaically requiring a mechanically operated second brake system.

Yes...

Clearly quite ridiculous to have a manual system that still works after the computer locks up in a race condition.

:roll:

I'm quite happy to live in such an archaic country.

Yesterday I had my first decent trip of 165 miles - I started with full battery and when we stopped half way for lunch was showing

normal_DSC_0572.JPG

We couldn't recharge so came back totally flat on petrol and the final figures were

normal_DSC_0575.JPG

I'm on my first tank of petrol and still half full after 480 miles - this is my third trip over battery range as I normally charge between trips :mrgreen:

According to the computer my EV driving was 56% which is 92 miles - well over the 32 miles range presumably thanks to regeneration and charging on the move if I understand this correctly :?:

I'm pretty impressed for a 2 tonne petrol SUV - my LR Discovery Sport claimed 53mpg combined and best I ever saw was 38 so I have no complaints - I also found it very comfortable after 4 hours driving which the DS wasn't :roll:

I thought people (especially potential owners) might be interested in my experience after a year of ownership. I've been tracking fuel consumption based on actual fuel used and distance driven, and it tallies pretty well with the overall number shown by the MMCS. My overall mileage for the year is just below 19,000 miles, and the car is charged at home, at hotels and on street chargers when possible.

My driving pattern is pretty steady. Each week I start off with a 100 mile drive between home (Cambridge) and Coventry. I then work in Coventry for 2-3 days staying at a hotel where I can charge the car and also making use of on-street chargers in Coventry. (So my local mileage once in Coventry is nearly all electric). Mid week I usually do the 50 mile drive to Derby, followed by a return to Cambridge via Leicester (around 100 miles). Since the Chademo chargers started to cost money I haven't used them (but I was using them at the start of the year). I also do local mileage around Cambridge and have the odd trip to London and Durham at weekends.

Overall fuel consumption is just below 50 mpg, and on my graph I can see it gradually improving in the warmer weather and then declining in the cold - although this probably also shows the demise of free Chademo chargers. (If someone can tell me how to paste a graph in here I'm happy to share).

Cheers

JSC

Save it in an image format (JPG, GIF) on a sharing site like Photobucket or similar and use the "Img button to post the link in your post".. Some sites provide the img-tagged link and you can post that directly. Make sure the image is maximally 1024 pixels wide.

Back