Are Outlander PHEV shocks the same as other models?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunder

I've reached 130,000km with the shocks. They're not terrible yet (I am a gentle driver and the roads here are pretty good) but am noticing a bit more undampened rebound lately.

Trying to get information on compatibility is next to impossible. For exact same part numbers some sites say it is compatible, others say its not.

Does anyone know if we can just use the same parts as our petrol/diesel counterparts? I have a 2014.5 model if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi.

I've been researching rear shocks for my 2020 PHEV because I don't like the OEM ones. They are okay ride and the roll is well controlled, but pitching back to front is terrible - mine kicks like a mule going slowly over speed bumps and others. Only 34,000klms.

So I've researched a large number of makes, and everything is the same between models except the PHEV spring base is about 20mm lower down the length of the shock to allow for the longer spring of a PHEV - presumably because they are heavier.
*This is all based on my 2020 ZL model.

I've had no luck finding anyone with a PHEV replacement. They are only available for standard ICE models it seems with the higher placed spring holder.
Seems we can only go OEM or wait until the after-market segment starts supplying as the models age.

If anyone has a solution I'd love to hear it.

SS2115 said:
Hi.

I've been researching rear shocks for my 2020 PHEV because I don't like the OEM ones. They are okay ride and the roll is well controlled, but pitching back to front is terrible - mine kicks like a mule going slowly over speed bumps and others. Only 34,000klms.
You are looking for a harder or softer ones to control the pitching you don't like?

Actually, the oem shocks feel like they are single acting, or at the very least have little effect in one direction. (probably rebound). I say this because as mentioned, the ride is very acceptable, the springs seem correct for loaded and unloaded conditions, but going over small speed bumps or anything raised the back comes down and then seems to spring back into the air (almost violently) and the front dips slightly and then this pitching oscillates once or twice more.
The best description is the front drives over nicely and normally, and then the back goes over and has a kick back up which pitches the vehicle front to back a couple of times.
The vehicles only done 34,000 klms, the shocks (entire rear suspension) is very clean with no oil leaks which is in keeping with the cars ownership as a family wagon in suburban environment - ie: no signs of long country trips or off-road excursions etc.
Feeling the dealer would not provide warranty, and even if they did the OEM shocks being the same, I set about to find my own upgraded performance rear shocks to no avail. No, they won't be covered under warranty, but Mitsubishi experience and reputation is that they don't discard the warranty on things unaffected by the replacement unless they can prove a direct correlation to a replaced component causing a problem. They are one of the sensible and fair dealerships - unlike say Ford or Mercedes which have dreadful reputations for squirming out of anything they can.

littlescrote said:
Springs are "hard" or "soft" - dampers are "fast" or "slow"
OK same stuff... you got the meaning.

SS2115 said:
Well of course they wont change the shock under warranty jut because you don't like how it goes over speed bumps.

SilverD said:
How does it handle the bumps with a full load in the cargo area?

I've had a small machine of 105kg in the back and the effect was much the same - perhaps a little less violent but then knowing the machine was there I crept over any speed bumps anyway.

I had my wife in front and two adult kids in the back seat for Mother's Day lunch and went over a speed bump in the car park at low speed to a "whoa" from the kids and dirty look from the wife as if it was my fault.

kpetrov said:
littlescrote said:
Springs are "hard" or "soft" - dampers are "fast" or "slow"
OK same stuff... you got the meaning.

SS2115 said:
Well of course they wont change the shock under warranty jut because you don't like how it goes over speed bumps.

You say that as if I'm dirty on them for it. I've never approached them - I agree they would frown on me asking for warranty. I stated that. It's my choice to try alternative shocks because I think it's a poor choice by Mitsubishi and not faulty shocks.

What I did say was that with Mitsubishi enjoying a reputation of fair play that replacing the shocks was unlikely to negate my warranty unless it could be proved that whatever the fault occured was a direct result of the upgraded shock change or workmanship.

SS2115 said:
You say that as if I'm dirty on them for it. I've never approached them - I agree they would frown on me asking for warranty. I stated that. It's my choice to try alternative shocks because I think it's a poor choice by Mitsubishi and not faulty shocks.
My mistake, didn't got your point.
For it's weight I find it very stable but with aftermarket shocks you may made it worst on the speed bumps and overall.

kpetrov said:
SS2115 said:
My mistake, didn't got your point.
For it's weight I find it very stable but with aftermarket shocks you may made it worst on the speed bumps and overall.

Yes. I'm aware it's a bit of a gamble. But I'm working on the premise that an aftermarket shock is going to be an upgrade in performance in some way rather than just a replacement. If worst came to worst I could put the OEMs back in as I don't think they are faulty but just a poor choice of characteristics by Mitsubishi.
I'm a mechanic by trade so can do my own work and keep the costs down to just purchasing.
But got to find the right ones first!

SS2115 said:
...pitching back to front is terrible - mine kicks like a mule going slowly over speed bumps and others. Only 34,000klms.

Same thing here. Going over speed bumps even with 20 km/h results in a very bad feeling and noise from the backend of the vehicle.

Structurally everything seems fine, with no leaks, etc.

nrayanov said:
SS2115 said:
...pitching back to front is terrible - mine kicks like a mule going slowly over speed bumps and others. Only 34,000klms.

Same thing here. Going over speed bumps even with 20 km/h results in a very bad feeling and noise from the backend of the vehicle.

Structurally everything seems fine, with no leaks, etc.

I don't have any particularly bad noise like looseness or fault as such, but its very unsettling to the car as it kicks back into the air and the body jostles around before settling.
I'm convinced the rear shocks are only single acting or very least -poor settings in the rebound.

It could be that you have faulty damper(s) as that is not a common complaint. Having said that, I went over a speed bump last night with my cycle carrier on, and the it sent the rack upwards and the bike handlebar into the rear screen. Luckily the grip was well padded with a rubber bar end.

Literally going over with 20 km/h while the speed bump is designed to be taken at 30 km/h.

Was taking the same bump with my petrol Outlander with 30 km/h and totally fine.

Also taking the same speed bump with my 2005 Toyota Corolla like a champ.

Only the PHEV is bouncing.

nrayanov said:
Literally going over with 20 km/h while the speed bump is designed to be taken at 30 km/h.

Was taking the same bump with my petrol Outlander with 30 km/h and totally fine.

Also taking the same speed bump with my 2005 Toyota Corolla like a champ.

Only the PHEV is bouncing.

Agree - not even our Mitsubishi ASX behaves as badly. Nor the BMW wagon, nor the 1996 Rav4 wagon. And its only raised bumps. Potholes and dips are handled quite ordinary and okay - quite well in fact. But anything raised throws the back end into the air to more or less an extent depending on the width of the bump.
Of course, anything over a slow reasonable speed makes it worse, but even 15 - 20klm/hr is not handled well at all.

Still looking for/hoping for a solution.

I was under the impression that all speed bumps were 'designed' to be taken at 5 km/h.

Certainly my previous car (hot hatch) thought so.

Of course, that car had only 10 cm ground clearance, unlike the 20 cm claimed by the Outlander PHEV.

:)

AndyInOz said:
I was under the impression that all speed bumps were 'designed' to be taken at 5 km/h.

Certainly my previous car (hot hatch) thought so.

Of course, that car had only 10 cm ground clearance, unlike the 20 cm claimed by the Outlander PHEV.

:)

They put the same speed bumps in parking areas and driveways and roads in speed zones of 5 - 25klm/hr.

Back