Australian heating

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAPpy

Odd, I read that you guys in the colder climates have the ICE starting for heating. The other morning I was popping down to the shops on a cold morning of 10c but the heater was set on 22. The A/C was using power.

Turned the temperature down to 18 and the A/C compressor turned off.

Do we ave RC A/C down here?

NAPpy

NAPpy said:
Odd, I read that you guys in the colder climates have the ICE starting for heating. The other morning I was popping down to the shops on a cold morning of 10c but the heater was set on 22. The A/C was using power.

Turned the temperature down to 18 and the A/C compressor turned off.

Do we ave RC A/C down here?

NAPpy

What is RC?
You can manually stop A/C anytime in heating mode even if the temperature is set to highest level, just hit the A/C button then it will only use electric heater to heat and will not reduce the EV range.

RC = Remotely Controlled ?

Engine starts only at temperaturen around approx. 7 deg C or below.

Electric Heating does impact EV range, as it takes its power directly from the drive battery. And quite a bit of it. More than A/C does. At least, as long as you are not using A/C for cooling.

I'm not so convinced by this 7 degree figure any more, you know. Morning temperatures round here have tended to be around 12 degrees recently, but I've still had the petrol engine fire up as soon as I start the car - even with a full battery. I generally keep the climate control set to 20 degrees and it seems to be the heating that is bringing the engine up - if I turn it off, the engine stops soon afterwards.

RC = Reverse Cycle A/C like we have in the house.

The AC * was not on but the AC unit was consuming power so I can only guess it is what you guys call an electric heater, we (I) would call it RC AC :mrgreen:

NAPpy said:
RC = Reverse Cycle A/C like we have in the house.

The AC * was not on but the AC unit was consuming power so I can only guess it is what you guys call an electric heater, we (I) would call it RC AC :mrgreen:

I assume that "Reverse Cycle A/C" means a heat pump? If that is the case, then no, the Outlander heating is not a heat pump, it is an immersion heater in the engine cooling circuit.

anko said:
RC = Remotely Controlled ?

Engine starts only at temperaturen around approx. 7 deg C or below.

Electric Heating does impact EV range, as it takes its power directly from the drive battery. And quite a bit of it. More than A/C does. At least, as long as you are not using A/C for cooling.

Sorry to disagree but electric heating without A/C running impact EV range so little it is negligible. With single full charge I can drive to work and come back twice with 1-2 km EV range left both electric heater on or off again no A/C running. If you keep A/C running during heating yes it will impact the range a lot.

Sorry, that seems simply not possible. When preheating while hooked up, even to a 16 amp source, you loose SOC and therefor range. How in earth name would you not loose SOC and therefore range when heating while not hooked up?

But ufo, you are in Sydney. What outside temps are you seeing when you are running your heater? Or were you just joking?

anko said:
Sorry, that seems simply not possible. When preheating while hooked up, even to a 16 amp source, you loose SOC and therefor range. How in earth name would you not loose SOC and therefore range when heating while not hooked up?

But ufo, you are in Sydney. What outside temps are you seeing when you are running your heater? Or were you just joking?

Explanation for that is when you run programmed heating, it runs it with A/C on then you suck up a lot of battery juice same as if you hit Auto button on the climate control and let it run A/C while heating. I've tested and observed it many times, if you turn off A/C during heating you loose very little EV range it is almost negligible. If any body wants to see it with his/her very own eyes, I am happy to meet with anybody in Sydney and show them.
Outside temperatures I experienced are around 10-15 degrees in the morning and I run heating set to 24 degrees without A/C.

The heater has four elements, one rated 1.7 kW and 2 rated 0.85 kW. If they are all active, energy consumption from the heaters itself is 3.4 kW. Many times, I've seen the energy consumption of the aircon (left most dial yellow in MMCS) show 4 - 4.5 kW. With the A/C turned off.

When difference between what you ask and what you already have is little (in terms of degrees), energy consumption will go down.

NAPpy said:
We run about 25c in the winter and 24 in the summer. Normal for here I think.

That's amazingly hot! I set to either 20 or 21 degrees all the year round. I do find that the Outlander aircon is a bit slow off the mark on a hot day - when I first get into the car, it may be necessary to turn it down to 18 for a few minutes to get the temperature down quickly, then back up to 20. The aircon in the Prius would go into overdrive as soon as the cabin temperature went more than a couple of degrees above the thermostat setting

anko said:
The heater has four elements, one rated 1.7 kW and 2 rated 0.85 kW. If they are all active, energy consumption from the heaters itself is 3.4 kW. Many times, I've seen the energy consumption of the aircon (left most dial yellow in MMCS) show 4 - 4.5 kW. With the A/C turned off.

When difference between what you ask and what you already have is little (in terms of degrees), energy consumption will go down.

With all due respect to your detailed figures, what I am reporting is my experience in real life. That experience indicates, when heating is on while A/C turned off, power consumption by heater is negligible. To be more precise, how I use it is; I just turn the fan on at minimum speed and set the temperature to 24 degrees and always keep it in recycle mode, no air suction from outside.

greendwarf said:
ufo said:
I run heating set to 24 degrees without A/C.

That's hotter than I have the central heating in winter :eek:

All the figures quoted are relative to the environment and A/C system. Such as that I set my climate control A?C in my other vehicle to 21 degrees in winter and 24 in summer.

ufo said:
greendwarf said:
ufo said:
I run heating set to 24 degrees without A/C.

That's hotter than I have the central heating in winter :eek:

All the figures quoted are relative to the environment and A/C system. Such as that I set my climate control A?C in my other vehicle to 21 degrees in winter and 24 in summer.

This sounds more reasonable and I agree it is all relative. When it is hot in mid-summer I sometimes run the A/C at 15c especially to combat solar gain in traffic but 24c heating in winter without A/C in Sydney seems rather warm to me - I'd probably fall asleep - although up in the Blue Mountains, I agree it can get cold at night.

Had a closer look at this as I was dropping the wife off at the train station this morning. OAT 11c, temperature set at 24c, A/C off and the heater was consuming 4.5kW :shock: :shock:

That is way more than we ever see in summer running the A/C.

Hit the off button and put on the seat warmers!

Cheers

NAPpy

NAPpy said:
Had a closer look at this as I was dropping the wife off at the train station this morning. OAT 11c, temperature set at 24c, A/C off and the heater was consuming 4.5kW :shock: :shock:

That is way more than we ever see in summer running the A/C.

Hit the off button and put on the seat warmers!

Cheers

NAPpy

I suppose the figure you quote as 4.5 Kw is 4.5 Kw/hour. In that case it makes more sense. Because my trips to work take about 15 mins. So I am consuming 4.5Kw/4=1.125 Kw only. I think that explains why I found power consumption by the heater not that prominent when A/C turned off. Irony here is that MM considers A/C usage much more important than heating because as soon as you turn A/C on, it chops a big chunk out of the EV range but turn only heating nothing happens :!: :?:
How much A/C consumes as Kw/h ?

The figure is 4.5 kW, as 4.5 kW relates to power, not an amount of energy. This figure would translate to 4.5 kWh / h or 1.125 kWh / 15 minutes. This is more than 1/8 of your usable battery capacity. The car can do about 4 to 5 km per kWh, so you could loose 4 to 5 km EV range in 15 minutes.

But this much would only happen when the heater was running at max power all the time. And only if not at some point the engine would kick in and provide heat. But engine power cannot replace battery power when it comes to A/C. I can imagine this is why they let A/C power consumption impact predicted EV range but not heater power consumption.

NAPpy said:
I guess "up here" this is quite normal to us. And looking at how fast the cabine heats up, using electrical power, it is not even that strange. The heater is a serious device.

Back