Being towed - something to remember...

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webbo73

Started ploughing my way through the manual the other night and found a page about being towed - hopefully somethnig none of us will ever need, but just in case it happens and you or yours haven't read the manual, it states that you must be towed with all 4 wheels off the road (e.g. cannot be towed with just the front wheels elevated and the back wheels on the road). Apparantly this is common for all 4WD's, but as I've never had one before it was news to me. I hope I will remember this (and whoever else drives the care) and hope that a recovery vehicle driver also knows about this and has a big enough truck... should the worst ever happen.

Thought I'd share this for those who haven't yet got their cars or people who can't face reading the War & Peace like manual..!

webbo73 said:
Started ploughing my way through the manual the other night and found a page about being towed - hopefully somethnig none of us will ever need, but just in case it happens and you or yours haven't read the manual, it states that you must be towed with all 4 wheels off the road (e.g. cannot be towed with just the front wheels elevated and the back wheels on the road). Apparantly this is common for all 4WD's, but as I've never had one before it was news to me. I hope I will remember this (and whoever else drives the care) and hope that a recovery vehicle driver also knows about this and has a big enough truck... should the worst ever happen.

Thought I'd share this for those who haven't yet got their cars or people who can't face reading the War & Peace like manual..!

Not sure how being on the back of a truck is being "towed" but can the car be safely towed with all 4 wheels ON the road?

Not sure how being on the back of a truck is being "towed" but can the car be safely towed with all 4 wheels ON the road?

humblest apologies for using incorrect terminology.. it's how they refer to it in the manual - p9-18... :roll:

It's a bit contradictory in the manual as it says you can be towed with all 4 wheels on the ground (but it looks like only to get you out of mud etc) - see page 9-19 & 9-21 of the owner's manual. It shows a diagram on the preceding page to say you shouldn't be towed by a recovery vehicle with all 4 wheels on the ground (so assume that's for transporting the vehicle away rather than you get you out of mud etc.).

I would suspect that the towing problems relate purely to how far the vehicle would be towed rather than allowed to be towed. Towing is not really any different to the car rolling down a hill, as long as the ignition is ON. The only difference is when the battery becomes full. I suspect that if there was an electrical problem, and not just out of GO stuff would there be a problem.

webbo73 said:

humblest apologies for using incorrect terminology.. it's how they refer to it in the manual - p9-18... :roll:

It's a bit contradictory in the manual as it says you can be towed with all 4 wheels on the ground (but it looks like only to get you out of mud etc) - see page 9-19 & 9-21 of the owner's manual. It shows a diagram on the preceding page to say you shouldn't be towed by a recovery vehicle with all 4 wheels on the ground (so assume that's for transporting the vehicle away rather than you get you out of mud etc.).

Thanks, apology not needed (I'd assumed it was a quote) but you have the advantage over me BECAUSE I STILL HAVEN'T GOT MY CAR! :evil: Sorry for shouting but the waiting is starting to get me down and I can't get a delivery date out of my dealer despite being told 2 weeks ago that it had arrived in the UK :cry:

webbo73 said:

Somewhere in the manual that I read, it said that it should not normally be towed with any wheels on the ground, but could be towed short distances at low speeds in an emergency.

Back