Boot Failure

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moomoo

Writing on behalf of my husband. The vehicle was purchased on a motability contract and today whilst my hubby Steve was trying to retrieve one of his walking sticks the boot completely collapse on him, more or less pinning him between the number and boot.

I struggled to lift the boot as it was so heavy but eventually we managed to get him out, the force of the impact struck him between the base of the skull and shoulder blades and he is extremely sore at the moment.

The boot pistons seem to have failed and the boot is extremely hard to lift, can anyone advise if they are aware of this issue on the vehicle.

Wow that sounds serious. I assumed they had an anti-trapping mechanism. I'm not litigious but you need to report this to the dealer and have them sort it and come back with some good reasons for you.

Did someone do some modifications for motability?

Goodshot said:
Wow that sounds serious. I assumed they had an anti-trapping mechanism. I'm not litigious but you need to report this to the dealer and have them sort it and come back with some good reasons for you.

Did someone do some modifications for motability?

Thanks for your reply, Steve has survived being disabled out of the Army and faced some pretty scary stuff, to be taken out by a defective car. But to answer the question there has been no modifications to the car and there was no anti trap mechanism.

It came down hard and fast!

I believe there's an anti-trap mechanism when the boot is operating under power, but if the mechanism fails completely (as it appears has happened in this case), there's no way to stop it closing under its own weight.

Is this about PHEV? It has a very sensitive anti trapping sensor , even mild resistance will reverse it .Definitely speak to dealer and email mitsubishi uk

Kesto said:
Is this about PHEV? It has a very sensitive anti trapping sensor , even mild resistance will reverse it .Definitely speak to dealer and email mitsubishi uk

Yes it's the Phev and even now it's very difficult to lift.

Not all models have a powered tailgate. If this was a non-powered model loss of pressure in just one of the gas struts would be sufficient for the tailgate to come crashing down.
Hope he recovers quickly. Make a record of the date, time, how it happened and take pictures of any injuries, even bruising as you may be able to make a claim against Mitsubishi for the failure. It would certainly help with any warranty claim.

Not seen any mention of similar failures - I guess you have just been unlucky.

Back