Breakdown - unable to select drive or reverse

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have exactly the opposite experience. I tanked the wrong fuel (90% Bioethanol) The AA (Dutch equivalent) bloke who ccame to pump it told me : "These cars are amongst the most reliable ones - they rarely if ever break down.
Over here we have a very high density of PHEV-s*, so I think he is in a better posittion to judge

* On an average drive I meet one about every five to 10 Kms..

The reports that we've had around here don't seem to indicate a car with major reliability issues, but the number sold to date is probably too small to come to any definitive conclusion. The design does eliminate many of the most troublesome components in a conventional car and the hybrid systems will even out the wear on the engine, so one might hope that reliability will be better.

maby said:
The reports that we've had around here don't seem to indicate a car with major reliability issues, but the number sold to date is probably too small to come to any definitive conclusion. The design does eliminate many of the most troublesome components in a conventional car and the hybrid systems will even out the wear on the engine, so one might hope that reliability will be better.

I must admit, If I was buying one used I would be using the mileage and asking lots of questions of the owner to try and guess how many charging cycles it had been through. Rather than worrying about how many 'miles' the ICE had done.

duplo said:
maby said:

I must admit, If I was buying one used I would be using the mileage and asking lots of questions of the owner to try and guess how many charging cycles it had been through. Rather than worrying about how many 'miles' the ICE had done.

I would not disagree with that - the number of cycles on rapid charge would be an important consideration too! Mine gets charged three or four times per week, so the battery should last quite well.

I am wondering if the advice re rapid charging is because the "intelligence" is in the rapid charger and so while the internal 240V charger can do balancing to the "official" spec while the rapid charger is more flat and basic? Or does the balancing happen inter and intra cell pack anyway when the charge reaches near full?

I think the issue with fast charging is that a significant voltage gets dumped in a very short space of time, although recent research has suggested fast charging isn't an issue for Lipos. However, with Mitsi themselves suggesting not to rely upon fast charging as it may impact battery life (note, they only say "may"), and the jury still out on long term life, it's not one I'm risking.

Titan said:
I think the issue with fast charging is that a significant voltage gets dumped in a very short space of time, although recent research has suggested fast charging isn't an issue for Lipos. However, with Mitsi themselves suggesting not to rely upon fast charging as it may impact battery life (note, they only say "may"), and the jury still out on long term life, it's not one I'm risking.

And don't forget that recent experiences posted in this forum show that there is a known incompatibility between PHEVs and some rapid chargers which can disable the car, requiring a trip to a Mitsubishi main dealer. Apparently they have billed at least one owner for this because they consider it to fall outside the scope of the warranty. The rapid chargers currently out in the world were really designed for cars with far higher capacity batteries than the PHEV - perhaps they are a bit too forceful for the small PHEV battery?

maby said:
Apparently they have billed at least one owner for this because they consider it to fall outside the scope of the warranty. The rapid chargers currently out in the world were really designed for cars with far higher capacity batteries than the PHEV - perhaps they are a bit too forceful for the small PHEV battery?
That I didn't know but if they'd tried to bill me, I know I'd have taken legal recourse. No way I'd expect to pay for damage from using a fast charger. Of course, there's no way I'd use a fast charge anyway but that's a different story :)

Titan said:
maby said:
Apparently they have billed at least one owner for this because they consider it to fall outside the scope of the warranty. The rapid chargers currently out in the world were really designed for cars with far higher capacity batteries than the PHEV - perhaps they are a bit too forceful for the small PHEV battery?
That I didn't know but if they'd tried to bill me, I know I'd have taken legal recourse. No way I'd expect to pay for damage from using a fast charger. Of course, there's no way I'd use a fast charge anyway but that's a different story :)

I guess they would claim that, in much the same way that the warranty would not cover damage from putting diesel in the tank, it doesn't cover damage done by plugging up a rogue charger. There seems to be a disagreement between Mitsubishi and Ecotricity at the moment as to who is at fault.

maby said:
duplo said:
maby said:

I would not disagree with that - the number of cycles on rapid charge would be an important consideration too! Mine gets charged three or four times per week, so the battery should last quite well.

Mine's getting charged twice a day, with the odd rapid thrown in on top of that. :eek: that's weekday driving only though, it gets a rest on the weekends.

Back