Car VIN serial number

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tipper

My 2015 (March) registered UK car VIN ends in 0464 which logically makes it number 464 off the line. Seems a low number for some 12 months or more into production, or is this just the UK spec number?

Or maybe it's been hanging around before being registered?

I note the PHEV is not on those lists but it does tell me that my car is number 464 off the line which I still find surprising for a Japanese mass produced car being built since early 2014. I presume the cars are still being built quite slowly and production had not fully ramped up during 2014.

Tipper said:
I note the PHEV is not on those lists but it does tell me that my car is number 464 off the line which I still find surprising for a Japanese mass produced car being built since early 2014. I presume the cars are still being built quite slowly and production had not fully ramped up during 2014.
When you say your car is 2015 (March), what do you mean by March? Build or delivered?

anko said:
Tipper said:
When you say your car is 2015 (March), what do you mean by March? Build or delivered?

1st registration by Colt Car Co (aka Mitsubishi UK)

Where can I find the build date?

Hi anko, not a problem at all just intrigued by the low serial number of my car.

With around 50000 having been made worldwide by the end of 2014 and over 5300 or so sold in the UK to that date (source Wikipedia) I find it surprising that my car has such a low number. As it was a Mitsubishi UK car maybe they had some early cars that they have only recently, ie March 2015, registered and now sold on? (I bought it with 5k miles on the clock in September.)

Maybe a low number PHEV will be collectible in the future... :lol:

For info: my GX4h was ordered on 17th July 2014, delivered on 30th September 2014, and the VIN ends in 01568. What it all means - who knows?

The number will be preceded by a "d" for 2013; an "e" for 2014 and an "f" for 2015 - each VIN number has a specific model code and a specific country code. The Technical highlights manual has the details.

Ah, got it now, should have looked there in the first place! Thanks. Mine's 2015 no. 464.

Interesting that other cars I have owned have serial numbers starting at the first production car and roll on with no year code associated with the serial number hence my confusion.

Back