Charge timer issue

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seaneb

Hi. My car charges fine if I just plug it in but I want to try partial charging to save the battery a little. I only need half a charge a day on workdays.
However as soon as I've set the timer it will not charge and the charge light flashes on the dash and the charger. This happens even on a day where the timer has not been set. As long as the timer is set for any time during the week it will not charge. On days where it has been set the charge light flashes but the charge start time passes by without it beginning the charge.
Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

I use an electical timer - not sure if one should - This on home power 10 amps
and use the plug provided for domestic plugin It works and I get off peak on and off It is pain to set up though

got it at Bunnings
https://www.bunnings.com.au/hpm-7day-digital-timer-1min-increments_p7030060

Timer on the socket is more convenient ... I'm using this WiFi with energy monitor:
https://www.banggood.com/BroadLink-SP3-SPcc-Contros-Mini-WiFi-Smart-Home-Socket-Timing-Switch-Plug-Timer-Wireless-Remote-Controller-p-1033142.html
And I'm quite happy with it
So far 100% reliable ...only chinese server which store energy consumption is sometime off (or login need to be forced and repeated), but this does not impact on the functionality, only delay the view of energy monitoring

About the MMCS not working, when setting the timer ... I had the same issue

I suggest to reset the WiFi module, this did help on my PHEV .. for reset WiFi . there is 5x2 times click of lock/unlock button while sitting in the car ... a procedure that is visible on the Mitsubishi web site

elm70 said:
Timer on the socket is more convenient ... I'm using this WiFi with energy monitor:
https://www.banggood.com/BroadLink-SP3-SPcc-Contros-Mini-WiFi-Smart-Home-Socket-Timing-Switch-Plug-Timer-Wireless-Remote-Controller-p-1033142.html
And I'm quite happy with it
So far 100% reliable ...only chinese server which store energy consumption is sometime off (or login need to be forced and repeated), but this does not impact on the functionality, only delay the view of energy monitoring

About the MMCS not working, when setting the timer ... I had the same issue

I suggest to reset the WiFi module, this did help on my PHEV .. for reset WiFi . there is 5x2 times click of lock/unlock button while sitting in the car ... a procedure that is visible on the Mitsubishi web site

If I were installing a new outside socket in the UK, what would any of you guys/gals recommend please? - A smart outdoor socket? (as I can't find one!) Or one with a built in timer?
https://cpc.farnell.com/bg-electrical/wp23tm24-01/ip66-timer-controlled-skt-outdoor/dp/PL15556?mckv=sPBFj5zUQ_dc|pcrid|224681503328|kword||match||plid||slid||product|PL15556|pgrid|47203068935|ptaid|pla-369072016493|&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-SHOPPING&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzP7o_8Oh3gIVDw8YCh02JA2iEAQYASABEgIYUfD_BwE

I have the wifi power switch indoor.
And I use a garden extension cable to connect the PHEV charger.
Still the plug from extension cable to the car charger is outdoor, but under a roof, so protected from rain .. also my charging box I prefer to keep under the roof

Only the PHEV and the J1772 plug are fully exposed to the elements

PS: I strongly suggest to get a WiFi switch ... it is so convenient to program from the mobile phone when to start and stop the car charging ... I was having a simple timer before, but it was quite a pain to reprogram via the little LCD ... having the energy monitoring function, it also show up when the charging process is terminated ... also is a nice tool to know how many kwh are consumer every week or month due to the PHEV usage.

I normally cancel the ‘delay’ of my charger (by double clicking the side keys on the fob). This initiates the change immediately. But my question is, if I LET it do the delayed start, how long will it delay before it begins charging? 2hr? 4hr? Trying to time it perfectly so it’s charging during my 3-6am free hours of power.

Why don't you schedule the charging through the car? If you schedule it for 2 hours or less, it won't charge fully.
I didn’t even know it was possible to schedule the charge through the car. My car is all In Japanese (as it’s an import from there), but I only speak English, so it’s a bit tricky haha..

If you point a translator app on your phone, at your screen in the car, you can translate on the fly.

For Android: Google Translate App

I'm pretty sure Apple has something similar.

Ideally, you'd be able to navigate to a system menu, and set your system to use English.

I have a Hive active plug which I use - plugged into garage then cable runs out of door. Find it easier to control via my phone but I imagine any active wifi plug will work.

I didn’t even know it was possible to schedule the charge through the car. My car is all In Japanese (as it’s an import from there), but I only speak English, so it’s a bit tricky haha..
Kind of sounds like the timer was still set when you got the car. There is no delay built in, so you are cancelling the timer with the fob..

I just checked mine (2018 NZ). Changing the language on the settings menu for driver multifunction screen only changes the language for that screen so no help there.

Have a look at the main screen functions ans scroll around looking for the icon of an electical plug above a clock, that's the charging timer, tap that and the current timer set up should appear. It will have days of the week ticked and time of day for on and off. Fullcharge etc.. have a play with that.

If you manage to get a result and set up a timer, just be aware of a couple of things, it may be locked into Japanese time regardless of what your clock says and even if not, it will undoubtedly mess up at daylight saving changes. Even my NZ new 2018 screws this up for a few weeks 2 times per year. It seems as though Mitsubishi never realised NZ changed the schedule in 2006, so the car has the earlier schedule in it's software..

Jap used import, yeah who knows? My wife's 2016 Nissan LEAF still shows Japanese time, the minutes can be corrected but not the hours. I found it can be fixed by pulling out the radio system and disconnecting the GPS input and going through some hidden menus but she said don't worry about it.

Back