Charging cable, weatherproof?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulF

Can anyone confirm if the control box on the charging cable (near the 3 pin plug) is weatherproof?
I'm wondering if I'm just need a weatherproof 3 pin socket (the type with the large cover so you can close it with a plug in), or one of the bigger waterproof boxes that will protect the plug socket and the control box?

It probably is meant to be, tho if its a used vehicle/charge cable I'd consider if it has been apart for repair at any point, in which case it likely won't be.

It certainly looks weatherproof, however, I would not recommend submerging it in water.

Mine has been used 'outside' under a carport for eight years so far, and has not developed any issues.

Note that the carport means that it is rarely receiving rain directly, the power point is near the open end of the carport, so it only gets wet, when the rain is from that direction.

I have considered mounting a metal box around the power point, just so that I can leave the cable permanently set up, and coiled up in the box. Laziness has prevented me from doing this so far...

:D

Note: Suspending the charger box from a string rather than from the cable is important, protecting the cable from abuse is also important. For example, NEVER tightly wind the cable around the box because bending and flexing in that manner will damage the cables over time.

Thanks both. I noticed when I unplugged mine last night the three pin mains plug was very warm. I know the charger is potentially pulling close to the maximum current that domestic mains can supply, but is that normal?
I'm concerned that using a small, enclosed outdoor socket may be a problem as the plug could get much warmer on a small enclosure.....

I'm now wondering about some kind of hole or access point through my garage wall big enough for the car plug to pass through, I could then leave the cable plugged in inside the garage (and the control box) and just have the cable outside ready for use. This partly depends on if I can either get the app working, or some kind of timer for the charger. (I also need to see if cheap overnight electricity is available to me).

I fixed mine to an external wall and it has been out there in all weather conditions for the last 3 years with no issues whatsoever.

PaulF said:
Thanks both. I noticed when I unplugged mine last night the three pin mains plug was very warm. I know the charger is potentially pulling close to the maximum current that domestic mains can supply, but is that normal?
I'm concerned that using a small, enclosed outdoor socket may be a problem as the plug could get much warmer on a small enclosure.....

I'm now wondering about some kind of hole or access point through my garage wall big enough for the car plug to pass through, I could then leave the cable plugged in inside the garage (and the control box) and just have the cable outside ready for use. This partly depends on if I can either get the app working, or some kind of timer for the charger. (I also need to see if cheap overnight electricity is available to me).

In terms of current draw, yes mine gets very hot as does the short cable from the mains plug to the box. The unit draws around 10A when providing full charge so the moulded plug heats up a lot. I did initially have it plugged into an RCD adaptor but decided best not to and go direct to the socket since the circuit is RCD protected anyway. I'd be wary of trying a timer adaptor for that reason, how long it'd last switching that sort of load, would melting inside cause a short, etc. Likewise an extension cable you'd need good quality that is suitably rated else it may melt and damage the plug. My daughter did that with her one, oops. Melted the plug on the EVSE cable too so they replaced with a 16A commando and fitted a suitable outlet inside the garage for it.

For my use case, I can't drill thru the walls (renting) so to make life easier I opened the EVSE box and detached the charge cable, fed that back in via the letterbox and reconnected. So the box is inside and out of the weather. Unfortunately its not long enough by a couple meters but that was solved by buying a 5M EV extension cable from 4EV. Cost around £150 but means I just hook that up when I need to charge, plug in and power up. If charging overnight I fit a couple padlocks to secure the cable and of course the front door can be closed and locked while I sleep. This does mean that I can't then carry the EVSE charger when out on a trip but doesn't matter as I'd not charge on the move anyway, that's what the petrol engine is for after all ;-)

I can feel that my 3-pin plug is warmer than ambient during charging, but I wouldn't describe it as 'hot'. I'd be a bit concerned that there could be a poor connection between plug and socket, causing additional resistance and therefore heating.

The cable itself is waterproof, however, the charging "brick" is not and will die if used in heavy rain or submerged in water.

FWIW, I have left my charging cable and brick outside exposed to the elements and the afternoon sun since the start of the winter in Ottawa. So far no issues.

I have left my brick the other night and we had some rainfall, yet to check if it still works. It should, without issues, hopefully.

Back