Charging via Caravan

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caz

Hi, New PHEV due at the weekend. We will be towing a caravan with it and am aware of weight limits, limitation of towing on EV etc. But I am wondering if anyone can advise me if it is possible to charge the car when we are on a caravan site,via one of the 3 pin electric sockets on the van ? Would it depend on the amps provided by the sites electrical system ? Thanks for your help, Alex.

Using the Mitsubihi (UK) supplied plug in box and cable it draws about 10 Amps. How that might be accommodated by either the caravan system or the sites distribution Will depend on their designs.

If the socket in your caravan will boil a (modern high-power) electric kettle without anything going 'pop', you should be OK.

Thanks for both of your replies.

Yes, use a normal kettle, microwave, tv, iPod dock and other such appliances. Not all at the same time though.

From what you have both said, it sounds as though it will be ok. I would ensure that the charger was the only thing on, probably during the night.

Cheers, Alex.

Just check at the reception of the camp site. Many sites have 6 Amp systems, which can only charge your car through a box that is switchable to 6 A.
The capacity of your caravan's system should be in its specifications.

Hi jaapv thanks for that. Ideally, am I looking for a minimum of 10amps from the sites electrical system, without having to employ the switchable box you describe ? Cheers, Alex.

You'll be wanting 10A plus whatever else is in use in the caravan at the same time. Fridge? Heating?

You'll find out easily enough. Any overload on the supply source will trip the fuses in the site's supply box, any overload on the wiring of the caravan will result in smoke. (Well, I suppose it's fused as well ;).)

Thanks Tipper, most of the sites I use are at least 10amps, so should be OK, but will need to ask.
Jaapv, yes I thought that would happen. Thanks. Don't fancy incurring the wrath of my fellow campers by tripping them out too. But thanks you and everyone's help, I know what to watch for.
Thanks again everyone,
Alex.

Will do PHEVhappy. We have the van on the drive at the moment, so based on the helpful advice so far, I plan to try to charge the car, via a 3 pin socket in the van, that it is hooked up to the mains supply in the garage. It won't confirm everything due to being on mains hook up, but it's a start.
Might then hitch up and take it for day out, before taking back to storage. Will report back.
Our main holiday isn't until July too.
Cheers,Alex.

Hey, interesting conversation and very pertinent to me. I got my GX4HS last week and have been charging each night via the caravan external 3 pin socket each night. I haven't got access to my garage without getting in the way of neigbours in the communal carpark. The caravan is hooked up to the garage via the 25m cable, and the car to the caravan. I was a little concerned about it initially but figured that the caravan has more modern electrics than the garage - with rcd etc. To be safe though I have the caravan cable plugged into the adapter in the garage into an RCD also.

Anyway, next week will be my first attempt at towing with the PHEV and I hope to be able to charge on site as I do at home. The question will be whether the site which only has 10amp electricity supply will cope. Suspect I will have to charge overnight, with the fridge off! We'll see, I'll let you all know how it goes :-D

Thanks for the info Albacore. Good to know that charging via the van works.

We use both commercial sites and Caravan Club sites. I phoned the Club today to ask what their policy was on charging hybrids via site electrics / caravans. It appears that they don't have one. I was advised to call or ask the site wardens if it was ok. The different levels of current was mentioned and seemed to be the only barrier to charging onsite. So I'll be interested to hear how you get on with your 10amps.

Cheers, Alex.

No problem Alex, I'll keep you updated. We were originally due to be going to France, but in light of the petrol shortages over there I decided it was probably a tad too risky with the small tank, first time out with the car & van! Instead we are going to Cornwall, (Carnon Downs) and Devon (Modbury caravan club site) - so it'll be interesting to see what they have to say. Fingers crossed they will not object.

Cheers
Clare

As a matter of fact, the car will draw 10 Amps only at the beginning of the charge and ease up as it progresses. Just make sure that you have full power when you hook up, after some time you can put on the kettle.

jaapv said:
As a matter of fact, the car will draw 10 Amps only at the beginning of the charge and ease up as it progresses. Just make sure that you have full power when you hook up, after some time you can put on the kettle.
This applies only to the last 30 - 45 minutes of the charging process at best.

anko said:
jaapv said:

Agreed, I see a constant 2.26kW being drawn until the last little bit.

NAPpy

anko said:
jaapv said:
Well, it doesn't take me longer than that to have a cuppa.

jaapv said:
anko said:
jaapv said:
Well, it doesn't take me longer than that to have a cuppa.
But are you willing to wait 5 hours before you can have it? :lol:

Here's an update for you Alex!

We are into week 2 of our holiday, second campsite. The first campsite were more than happy for me to plug in, even though the supply was only 10amps. I was surprised that I was able to charge the car, run the fridge,heat water the low power heater and run the TV on the 10amps without any issues. The microwave however was a step too far. I also managed to trip the switch when I unplugged the car, but not the 3 pin plug first.

Second campsite are also happy for me to charge. I think they are possibly taken aback by me asking if I can charge the car....they hesitate briefly in response then say 'umm yes?'

Overall I have been extremely pleased with the performance of towing with the Phev. My previous tug was a 2007 2.2icdti diesel CRV and to be far it had 145k on the clock and was starting to age. Blew a turbo once whilst towing (that was an expensive week away) and the clutch was starting to slip - which prompted the change.

I was very apprehensive about towing but on the trip down to cornwall it handled the van admirably. I just set the ACC to 55mph on the dual carriage ways/motorway and off it went. Such an easy drive. It is rather disconcerting to hear it trying to take off when in serial mode, but once in parallel it sounds perfectly normal. Over 165miles on the way down to Truro I returned over 25mpg which I was more than happy with. We then moved to South Devon yesterday, via the St. Austell road - with some serious hills. Again the Phev took it in its stride and pulled the van effortlessly up the 17% hills. MPG dropped to 23 mpg but that's OK - I reckon the CRV would have struggled to achieve that with my heavier van.

So more than happy now to take the van to France in August. Can't wait :)

Back