Cleaning the Chrome on the 2016 model

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowrunner

I've had the car since Nov, and as spring is in the process of springing I thought I'd wash the car (I know its less than a year, but what the hell). The bodywork has come up lovely and you can see all the scratches and chips (white under the black ? ) but the silver bits don't seem to respond to washing.

When I was a kid I used to clean the wheels of my bicycle with 'chrome cleaner' - a sort of grey toothpaste - but is this trim actually metal ? I suspect its plastic of some sort.

What if anything do others use ?

If you hadn't guessed it already I'm more a value end of the market person that a 'detailer' (though I'm thinking of washing the car again in less than a month so perhaps I've caught the bug ? :lol: )

I think most of the "chrome" is plastic which won't respond well to "toothpaste". Ask your dealer for the proper cleaning stuff.

I've only washed mine twice since last September and each time it has cleaned up really well including the shiny bits.

The car was treated with some fancy body coating when delivered so I suppose this has helped so maybe it was worth it even though I thought it a waste of (my) money! :lol:

I shan't be polishing it either as I haven't found the need to polish a car for over 20 years!

Mine has some kind of space age magical coating on it and the paint shampoos up great (using the same product shampoo) but at least the first time the chrome plated plastic dwas still very grubby.

The solution for me was simply to persevere with a bit more 'elbow grease' and whatever film was reluctant to leave the shiny bits came off and the chrome looked as it should.

JimB

jaapv said:
I think most of the "chrome" is plastic which won't respond well to "toothpaste". Ask your dealer for the proper cleaning stuff.

I don’t spend a lot of time cleaning my car, take it for a wash every couple of months or so, but I totally understand those who do want to spend more time on it.

However, I’m not sure that I would ever think about asking a dealer for any cleaning products. I’m pretty sure that anything they would provide could be picked up either online or in Halfords for a fraction of the price that a dealer would charge !

Valeted mine inside and out at weekend so it looks like new again but the silver trim to cills will not come clean and is all mottled - looks about 10 years old :shock:

Only had it 7 months and bought new - this can not be right - neighbour has a Jag X-type which is at least 11 years old and silver trim looks like new :roll:

Any suggestions before I face the dealer and go down the unfit for purpose route :?

geoffshep69 said:
However, I’m not sure that I would ever think about asking a dealer for any cleaning products. I’m pretty sure that anything they would provide could be picked up either online or in Halfords for a fraction of the price that a dealer would charge !
That is my gut reaction as well to dealer prices, but having said that I have just had to replace the rear wiper and Halfords wanted £11 but didn't have any in stock so I thought I would give the Mitsu dealer a go as it was just down the road, very surprised that the Mitsubishi rear wiper only cost me £9.71.
I doubt they will be the best price for other parts (especially the ones only available from them) but don't automatically write the dealer prices off.

I have used Autoglym polish for some dried on marks on the chrome trim and paintwork that didn't come off with a wash and it has all come up gleaming. I wouldn't recommend anything very abrasive like T cut or other types of metal polish though as this trim will be from Mitsubishi only and not only will they want an arm they will take a leg as well for any replacements. Mine is a 2015 pre-facelift car, I am assuming that the trim is the same, does anyone know if there is a difference?

If it's chrome plated rigid plastic then any mildly aggressive polish like Solvol - which is perfectly fine to use on chrome plated metal - could remove the plating from the plastic, if it actually is chrome plated and not some other process. I'd have thought on a car it would actually be chrome. Try Mr Sheen or WD40, or as already suggested car polish. If the car isn't cleaned very often I would think any winter salt deposits could easily cause permanent damage if left to fester. I expect Mitsubishi would say that this was wear/tear/neglet, and not a material fault.

I've used Mr Sheen as a car polish for the last 20 years with no problems - is easy to apply and doesn't leave a furry white deposit around trim like proper car polish can. I especially polish the front of the car with it as this keeps the muck/salt off in winter and makes the flies easier to remove in the summer when you wash it. Probably saves fuel too. I do hand wash my PHEV around every two weeks, and it's always parked in a garage. I even take the wheels off to clean the inside of the rims thouroughly and also clean the suspension - no really I do. I don't take the wheels off every two weeks though, obviously.

I used to take my wheels off every 6 months and clean and seal them on previous LRs as I had winter and summer sets

I never had problems with trim looking like this though after 6 months or 5 years even

Back