Cold comfort for diesel owners

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lyra252

There has been much discussion, particularly with GX3h owners (me) regarding the lack of an electric heater and having to burn (a comparatively small amount of) fuel.

While diesel may appear to be an attractive alternative, a few things to bear in mind.

1) Diesel is more expensive than petrol and much more expensive than electricity.

2) New diesel and many older ones have a wealth of technical parts to try and meet our friends in Brussels EU polution directives - EGR valves, Diesel Particulate Filters Add Blue systems, all of which are starting to earn a reputation for being unreliable (particularly on short journeys) and extremely expensive to diagnose and fix.

3) Diesels are fast going from Hero to Zero, with many places talking of excluding them.

4) Euro 6 emmision controls will demand even more technology to try to reduce the Nitrogen emmissions which have (suddenly) been recognised as extremely harmful).

While the PHEV may not be the perfect answer, I'm glad I didn't go for another diesel, and there wasn't and I still don't think is a petrol 4wd that will tow 1500kg. but return a reguar 60mpg when not.

The PHEV is probably the equivilent to the VHS recorder, in years to come it will be outdated, but in the meantime think of all the good stuff you watched on you VHS.

So two choices with PHEV, stay cool and squeeze the MPG, or press fast forward and burn a little fuel until the Digital PHEV comes out in a year or two.

Either way I think it's the begining of the end for our Diesel friends (Just my opinion)

Cheers

Chris

I tend to agree with you. I like diesel cars and I think they are getting a bad rap on some rather short-sighted grounds, but the world is turning against them so the future for larger cars seems likely to be petrol hybrids.

I'm glad I turned in my diesel Volvo for the GX4h, I never really believed all that economical nonsense we were talked into. Petrol cars are just as thrifty, and much cleaner. BTW, my Volvo is still on the dealer's Used Car sales area, from September last year. Methinks it'll be shipped to auction before long, can't see too many takers nowadays.

I see your point too.

But, When will we see hybrid trucks (and I don't mean E Stobbarts LPG one) that can pull 44tons??

Farm machinery? As I work on one, I know what kind of horse power you need to do land work, so I can't see electric
machines in the field for some time yet....

And then in years to come, just like the diesel... The government will be spouting petrol's are bad.

Basically, they say things like this just to keep the so called 'economy' going...

Rate X - so people buy it, shortly after slate it and penalise the ones for buying it as it's now bad for whatever reason...

Then rate Y...... Get the idea...??? :roll: :evil:

Diesels have had their day. The eurocrats have their eyes firmly on emissions and more specifically local air pollution.

Ironically the manufacturers efforts to satisfy the demands of environmental legislation will also be its downfall.

A modern diesel engine seems to be a massively over engineered piece of machinery, which gets massively expensive very quickly if things go wrong.

Buying a modern diesel outside of its manufacturers warranty is a financially risky proposition, fuel injectors and diesel particulate filters can all run into thousands of pounds. I can see this seeping through, as time goes by, for the resale value of diesel cars losing their premium.

I think the clamp down on diesels will be coming round pretty soon, with the chances of them being banned from major cities within the next decade.

So, regulation, complexity and drop in resale value will all contribute towards the death knell of the mass market modern diesel car over the mid to long term future.

Wonder what the manufacturers will say / do between now and the end of the diesel car....?

Anko, I knew someone would say something like that.... ;)

Goldfinger said:
Wonder what the manufacturers will say / do between now and the end of the diesel car....?

Anko, I knew someone would say something like that.... ;)

They will modify their business plan as circumstances change, or end up in a long line of vehicle manufacturers overtaken by technology and fashion.

Change can happen quite quickly when it is nudged along by government.

On a regulatory basis they'll keep applying pressure on the acceptable thresholds for nitrogen oxides, at both manufacturing and at MOTs. Urban areas will become increasing unfriendly to diesels.

The real way to push people out of diesels is to wipe out the fuel efficiency by pushing up fuel duty for diesel, insert a nitrogen oxide (and dioxide) component to car tax boundary, and add a penalty to company car tax.

It aint hard to do, and i could very easily see all of the above being done within the next three to four years. The tide has turned against diesel.

Hypermiler said:
Now on Radio 4 re plans to get rid of diesels in cities (Paris/London) - You and Yours
H
Only the cleanest new diesels are allowed in the green zones in Germany, and in the centers of some Dutch cities, and some other countries as well, I think. Not long before they will be totally banned in urban areas.

But good news for us :mrgreen:

http://smartertrends.co.uk/articles/2015-3-23/electric-vehicles-second-hand-value-similar-to-die/

Back