Disconnect the AVAS (Acoustic Vehicle Alerting Speaker)

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paa451843

Hi
The AVAS may be a safety issue but if you want to disconect it once for all is`t very easy.
The ECU for the AVAS sits just beside the brakepedal ( a small Box with a white Connector).
You have to loosen the cover under the dash, just pry up the Clips (use a small screwdriver to lift up the centerpart of the clip)
You can then reach the white connector and just pull it out.

Enjoy a really silent car....

//PAA

jaapv said:
Enjoy a silent car. And flattened pedestrians? :shock:
There is no demand for a AVAS (yet), a lot of EV doesn`t have it, eg Nissan Leaf, Tesla S, BMW i3. Drive gently...

paa451843 said:
jaapv said:
Enjoy a silent car. And flattened pedestrians? :shock:
There is no demand for a AVAS (yet), a lot of EV doesn`t have it, eg Nissan Leaf, Tesla S, BMW i3. Drive gently...

I doubt that a AVAS makes things much safer.

I think it's mostly habitual. Having visited some cities with trolleybuses, I noticed that it takes only one really close encounter with a trolleybus coming out of nowhere before you are fully trained at looking around you properly before walking into the street ...

The scenario where it might matter is in narrow streets, garages and parking lots, but I am normally worried about toddlers walking out between cars anyway
so I tend to drive rather slow. Some people are clearly not as imaginative as I am, but I doubt nothing short of a big pneumatic siren or sheer luck would stop them running over someone someday anyway.

Bilbo59 said:
How about a solution for the seat belt beeps!!!!
That was the very first thing I turned off after I picked my PHEV up from my dealer....
Connector is under your seat.

I did mine earlier, seems to be the connector next to the yellow one under the driver's seat. Don't touch yellow as i would imagine it is the pyrotechnic trigger for the seat airbag.
Latch on connector was a little fiddly, it is underneath the connector and needs lifting with a screwdriver (or it did with my fat fingers)

Since we are on a roll - how about the bongs for door open, car on, heater running but I am outside scraping the ice of the windsreen with the keys in my pocket!! Yep - ice on windscreen this morning in the North East, joy!

Bilbo59 said:
Since we are on a roll - how about the bongs for door open, car on, heater running but I am outside scraping the ice of the windsreen with the keys in my pocket!! Yep - ice on windscreen this morning in the North East, joy!

Ah, you wait till you've forgotten your keys in the morning and the car has started on the strength of the second key fob in your wife's handbag as you take her to the station one morning. You'll be really glad of all those bongs as she disappears into the station, leaving you with a car that would be stranded in the station car park! Believe me - I've done it!

I wouldn't disconnect the seat belt warning sensor, what if it tells the car your wearing the belt so then it need to fire the pre-tensioner in a crash. If that doesn't go off and pull you tight you risk hitting the airbag so hard it bottoms out (and what if the airbag failed, the pre-tensioner is all you have to save you).

i don't mind most the bings and bongs, the one that annoyed me most was the boot opening, and rather than disconnect it I just put some tape over the sounder so its muffled. Its so slow you still need something just to tell you its got the command or you end up pressing the remote again and closing it just as it finally decided to open.

oh yes, forgot the AVS, I can't really hear mine. Tried driving slowly listening out the front window and in a multi storey car park. If its working its very subtle! I need to get some one to drive by whilst I am stood outside. Can't imagine it being a nuisance.

i just had a look at my car but even after removing the lower trim panel I could not see the small box with a white connector. I did disconnect one box that had a black connector, but that gave me lots of RGB error messages on the dashboard so I reconnected it!

Whilst I had my head under the dash I could hear the door open/seatbelt warning sound very clearly so the speaker must be under there somewhere, but I could not find that either.

maby said:
Bilbo59 said:

Ah, you wait till you've forgotten your keys in the morning and the car has started on the strength of the second key fob in your wife's handbag as you take her to the station one morning. You'll be really glad of all those bongs as she disappears into the station, leaving you with a car that would be stranded in the station car park! Believe me - I've done it!

Single user car - the other half drives to work in her own car during the week and is nowhere to be seen when I'm scraping the ice off to go to the gliding club at 7.00am on a Saturday morning!!

I understand that the bongs may help some but they are an irritation to others. Best solution would be to make them optional via software, like many other features the PHEV is missing. It is impossible to hard code a car to please everyone and providing software options would go a long way to making the car much more user friendly. For such an advanced vehicle, the MMSC seems years behind the drive train in terms of functionality and usability!!

jkh112 said:
i just had a look at my car but even after removing the lower trim panel I could not see the small box with a white connector. I did disconnect one box that had a black connector, but that gave me lots of RGB error messages on the dashboard so I reconnected it!

Whilst I had my head under the dash I could hear the door open/seatbelt warning sound very clearly so the speaker must be under there somewhere, but I could not find that either.

Try the passenger side next to where the brake pedal would be on a LHD car.

Bilbo59 said:
Try the passenger side next to where the brake pedal would be on a LHD car.
I did look there but there is no trim panel, it seems to be full of heater unit.

BobEngineer - if you press the boot release button on the boot lid twice rapidly it will open like a normal boot quickly and without beeping. You will risk getting dirty fingers of course.

Back