Discounts available?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickp

Hi All,
First time poster, few month 'guest' viewer ;-)

We are looking to purchase a PHEV in hopefully the next few weeks, but I'm wondering what sort of discounts are realistically possible on list price and if anybody has had any recent experiences on getting an exceptional deal.

Looking on some of the 'discount' new car sites, they go from the extremes of "you'll pay more than list price" to around a supposed 3k discount!

Is there any realistic discount available at present or is it a case of try to get discounts on additional dealer services and/or accessories?

Any tips and advice would be wonderfully accepted.

Rick

We've just been round this path. Be aware that most of the Internet car discount sites treat the £5000 government subsidy as a "discount" so you probaby need to be looking for a headline discount of £6000 or more before they really are offering anything that you cannot have over the counter at any Mitsubishi dealer.

Our experience was that none of the local dealers would offer anything, so I went to Car Wow and they did come up with a dealer in the back of beyond who was prepared to offer a £2000 discount over and above the 5k. We went back to the locals armed with this information and they suddenly found room for manoeuvre.

So there is the possibility of a discount...
Maby...
Did you have to have a formal quote, or was just on-line evidence enough to get them to shift on price?
The 3k was above the 5k government grant point (I've been using the base price and grant discount as starter price, as I'd noticed that when we looked to pricing for an Ampera last year, when they played the same tricks)

Does anybody think it could be possible to get a 4hs for 4h money? Or even 4h spec for 3h money?

I had an email offer which I showed my local dealer and which he agreed to match. It was just over 2k off a GX4h - not quite enough to come down to the GX3h list price, but close enough. Another dealer did tell me that Mitsubishi have a standard (but not widely publicised) 8% discount on company car purchases subject to some conditions and that this was not strictly policed. Strangely enough, the discounts I was being offered were just a little less than this figure.

rickp said:
Would that notional 8% also extend to private buyers?
Or could private get a bit more (or does private normally mean less discount)

That 8% is, I'm told, Mitsubishi sponsored (so it's not costing the dealer anything) and limited to company purchases with some strings attached. Ours is a company purchase but we didn't strictly speaking satisfy the conditions - but the dealer telling us about it said that Mitsubishi didn't bother to check up on them.

I'm not aware of any Mitsubishi sponsored discount for private purchases, so you are dependent on the dealer reducing his profit margin. The fact that other dealers seemed to be willing to offer a similar discount for private purchases and the report that Mitsubishi don't check up on the company purchase discount got me wondering.

hi - you will find posts elsewhere on this forum but to recap on my experience, i had a £2k discount on top of the £5k, with a couple of little extras (different alloys, boot liner). I am a company car buyer, but my co is buying it outright off local dealer, so dont know why a private buyer couldnt get the same...?

byrnehj said:
hi - you will find posts elsewhere on this forum but to recap on my experience, i had a £2k discount on top of the £5k, with a couple of little extras (different alloys, boot liner). I am a company car buyer, but my co is buying it outright off local dealer, so dont know why a private buyer couldnt get the same...?

The discount I was referring to is specifically for company purchases and seems to be targeted at encouraging bulk purchases. The conditions attached seem to be trying to select companies that will purchase several cars over a period of time. We did not really qualify but the dealer was not inclined to ask too many questions.

I will see what the best prices I can find and post up anything that could be useful for others buying from a private angle.

You never know what you can get, if you don't at least try. :D

Yes I got over £3k off a 4h. As others have suggested trawl the internet,get the best deal confirmed in writing and approach your chosen dealer,they do not like this,but it is a cruel world.
My dealer said no and would not even consider the quoted price,I left fully intending to buy on line,before I got home the dealer rang and agreed to the internet price.
I have bought new cars on line before at excellent discounts and with no problems at all,maybe I was lucky,do your own research.

The dealer I used asked me not to publicise the internet source,and I have agreed,so do not ask.
Main dealers have yet to fully appreciate their business model is broken by online sales with minimal overheads.

Delivery due mid September.

I didn't get a Discount of Mitsubishi Cheltenham,

But they did reduce the cost of some of the extras i wanted and put a full tank of fuel in it.

Cands2008 said:
Hi iansjones,

Just wondered what the footwell lighting looks like?

I was tempted but didn't go for it as it didn't look that good in the brochure.

'fraid I don't understand this fixation on putting blue LEDs on everything.

Firstly...
Disclaimer: I do not have any link to any website listed below. All data below taken from each website this evening.

Criteria:
First 5 companies in Google with search term " discount car deals". All comparisons based on PHEV GX4h pricing, list price on Mitsubishi uk website (£32,899.00) and no options, EXCLUDING first reg fee, tax etc

Websites listed with claimed saving.

Enjoy the ideas that some companies claim are discounts...

https://www.uk-car-discount.co.uk/vehicle/59072
£34,246.12 - Save £3,707.88

http://www.drivethedeal.com
Mitsubishi not listed

http://www.new-car-discount.com/car/mitsubishi/outlander-estate/4x4/petrol-plugin-elec-hybrid/automatic/2.0-phev-gx4h-5dr-auto/14/
£28,928 - save £9,025 (23%)
(including first reg fee, road tax, warranty, and any selected factory added options)

http://www.nationwide-cars.co.uk/cars/mitsubishi_outlander_r759.asp#rangeModels
Diesel outlander only

http://www.autoebid.com/buy-new-cars/MITSUBISHI/OUTLANDER/2.0-PHEV-GX4h-5d-Auto/59072.asp
Auto e-bid max price £38,637 Minimum saving -£683

:shock: That new-car discount one stands out - way cheaper than anyone on here has mentioned so far. Would be very interesting to see if anyone has actually bought or can actually buy one at that price?

maddogsetc said:
:shock: That new-car discount one stands out - way cheaper than anyone on here has mentioned so far. Would be very interesting to see if anyone has actually bought or can actually buy one at that price?

It's a bit misleading - their £9000 includes the £5000 that everyone gets. Still, the genuine discount of around £4000 is good.

maddogsetc said:

That's what i was thinking at the time I found their quote. They looked to be least adding the government grant and still giving a discount on top of that!

We havernt taken delivery of the car yet but it's on order. We managed to get an extra £2500 off above the £5000 government discount. We used carwow and was excellent. I showed the details to my local dealer and he said he wouldn't match the deal. His loss I guess because we placed an order from the dealer we found on carwow.

I think it really depends on how the sales targets are going for the specific dealer. If they are on target they wouldn't need to discount.

Cands2008 said:
Hi iansjones,

I got it in the UK having seen the Ausi brochure and thinking it looks real good.

In actual fact in the UK it is rubbish. Instead of the lights being in the footwell as well as under the footwell it is only under the footwell. Only comes on when you open the door. It really is nothing anyone would notice and think "Wow" which is what I was hoping for. Not worth it; trust me.

apyds said:
Cands2008 said:
Hi iansjones,

I got it in the UK having seen the Ausi brochure and thinking it looks real good.

In actual fact in the UK it is rubbish. Instead of the lights being in the footwell as well as under the footwell it is only under the footwell. Only comes on when you open the door. It really is nothing anyone would notice and think "Wow" which is what I was hoping for. Not worth it; trust me.
Agh - not good news. Looks like I'll have wasted £200 to have these fitted :(

Kev.

Back