Do all PHEV owners sufffer

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dilski

Hi All,

Been reading a few posts and considering a new Outlander PEHV, VRX trim here in NZ. I already own the 2.4ltr Petrol version and generally get 9.0l/100km.

What I have noted here is that is seams everyone drives around with the heater or aircon off just to save battery? Are you not lowering your driving comfort just in the vain of saving battery?

Auckland has really high UV radiation so even on a relatively cool day of 22degs were experiencing interior temps of the car can be hot. I don't want to sit in my own pool of sweat just to save power.

So does anyone actually just leave the climate control set to 22deg regardless?

I'm really struggling with the switch to PHEV, we have no tax breaks, congestion charges, use of transit lanes and limited charging points (those we do have are rapid charge and MMNZ wont import the rapid charge version like the UK gets). My commute to work is 27km each way and my boss will let me charge at work so in theory should be home and back on full EV as congestion will keep speeds to around 30km/h avg.

Love the forum and welcome some feedback

Cheers
Dale

Rather than save battery, it's to stop the engine firing up. Whether people do it to save a few pence/cents worth of fuel, or just they don't like the engine continually firing up - who knows?

Your pattern of use sounds ideally suited to an electric vehicle.

Sound like where you are your concern is more with a/c than with heating. Turning up (or down ;) ) the A/C will not cause the engine to start (as cooling is always done electrically), where the heater might (as heating sometimes uses engine heat). I would think in a warm climate, the battery capacity should be sufficient to drive 27 km AND run the A/C on a single charge.

I agree - you should find, even with full aircon on, that you can easily handle your commute on electric only.

BTW, I don't think the amount of UV has much effect on the internal temperature - it's the fact that Auckland is on the same latitude as Athens (relative to the equator) that means the insolation is so high.

Personally, I don't bother maximising the battery on a normal daily journey by turning off comfort features - the only difference is that when driving between my home and my apartment on the coast is that I use battery until 75% is used per the display, hit "save" at that point out of town and use the battery again when I arrive at the coast so as not to pollute - doing my small bit for the environment (which is one of the reasons why I got the car in the first place) (**). I recharge when I am there by dropping an extension lead out of the upstairs (first floor to us) window and plugging in the charger that came with the car.

Otherwise, I look at it as a car to get from (a) to (b) and drive it accordingly - which is why my milage is not as good as others, but still way better than my last (smaller) car.

Jeff

(**) Mind you, when I found out the tax benefit for a self-employed company owner and the benefit-in-kind allowances, it was stupid NOT to buy the car. The U.K. Government will offset the first year of the car against my corporate tax so it was a no-brainer.

Thanks for the replies people.

Yes I couldn't drive without the A/C on for probably 200 days of the year. When its colder and 10-15 deg is winter with the odd maybe 5 deg id be using the pre-heater function anyway. So good to know the AC runs off electric.

I'm sure its UV that gives us the high heat factor, I'm a pomme at heart and my skin need factor 30SPF compared to 5SPF in a European climate... Aren't they designed to filter out UVA and UVB to stop you burning.. Anyway back on topic.

Got a 24hr demo lined up Friday so will pick up on the way to work, have some warranty work done on my petrol version and then drive to work, charge at work, and drive home, charge overnight and then return to dealer Saturday morning.

Ill keep you posted.

Cheers
Dale

Not heat, you can burn worst over snow, well below zero. A completely different mechanism from heat.

http://www.scinote.org/blog/feel-the-burn-how-uv-rays-can-damage-our-skin

Back