Does the auto button on ventilation always start AC?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone experienced cases where Auto button on the ventilation system does NOT start AC?

Must put the choice of AC to manual to prevent AC always switched on when the Auto button is pressed.
Whatever weather and temperature, it seems.
What experiences do you have?
Estimated mileage of El only drops dramatically when AC is switched on.

Any time that you turn "Auto" on with the thermostat set to a temperature that is significantly different to the cabin temperature, something is going to consume power. That may be either the heating or the aircon depending on whether the cabin is colder or hotter than the thermostat, but something is going to start consuming your charge!

PhevWestNorway said:

Estimated mileage drops too much ... The real mileage is higher than the estimated with AC*. It's easy to verify ;)

* excepting perhaps at high temperatures > 30 ° C (didn't tried yet, but will try this summer)

PhevWestNorway said:
Has anyone experienced cases where Auto button on the ventilation system does NOT start AC?

Must put the choice of AC to manual to prevent AC always switched on when the Auto button is pressed.

If you hit Auto, doesn't matter what the conditions are it will start the A/C.

ufo said:
PhevWestNorway said:

Yes, that is my experience so far.
Even in cold weather when heat is needed it also start the AC.
Was just wondering why?
And - can the AC run on various power? (Normally AC is on or off).

PhevWestNorway said:

Yes, that is my experience so far.
Even in cold weather when heat is needed it also start the AC.
Was just wondering why?
And - can the AC run on various power? (Normally AC is on or off).

Most cars with modern climate control systems will run the aircon at the same time as the heating on occasions in cold weather to dehumidify the air in the cabin and reduce condensation. The power drain of the AC does vary pretty dramatically - if you have the GX4 specification, you can view the AC power consumption on the power management screens.

PhevWestNorway said:
ufo said:

You can have Auto without A/C. Hold down the snowflake button for 10 seconds and the default toggles on/off.

is this mentionned somewhere in the Manual ? If not, maybe it is then the same for ECO, SAVE etc ? Should give it a try!

JKL said:
is this mentionned somewhere in the Manual ? If not, maybe it is then the same for ECO, SAVE etc ? Should give it a try!

It is documented and can be changed by MMCS menu (if you have), by mobile app. and as described above.
The same goes for the resirculation button.

What do you want to do with the Eco, Save etc?
There is no auto button involved in those.

The Auto Button does not ALWAYS start the AC. The windscreen Demister does seem to start the AC.

In AUS, we only get the temperature range of 18C to 32C. Today the ambient was 15C and the AC refused to start when auto was selected. Did come on with the demister though. The setting for the aircon in the systems setting menu did not seem to have any effect. May have to wait for warmer weather or someone in DARWIN may be able to test this.

gwatpe said:
The Auto Button does not ALWAYS start the AC. The windscreen Demister does seem to start the AC.

In AUS, we only get the temperature range of 18C to 32C. Today the ambient was 15C and the AC refused to start when auto was selected. Did come on with the demister though. The setting for the aircon in the systems setting menu did not seem to have any effect. May have to wait for warmer weather or someone in DARWIN may be able to test this.

Makes me wonder if there is a humidity sensor?
Why wont Mits. document how this work?

PhevWestNorway said:
gwatpe said:

Makes me wonder if there is a humidity sensor?
Why wont Mits. document how this work?

I am also in Norway, and heating is an issue. AC is not used often even at summer. I have gotten a feeling there is a humidity sensor affecting the AUTO operation, but who knows? Also the dealer recommended using the AC regularly to "keep it in shape", oiled etc. Actually he said keep it on at all times. I use it now and then. It is a good idea to preheat the car while still connected to the grid with the electrical heater, event now in May in the morning is about 10C. Then you can then use the heating without the ICE starting. I have also noticed that the calculated EV range is cut down dramatically by operating the AC, but I have yet to see how dramatic it is on the actual EV range obtained.

Operation of an AirCon once a month is all that is normally required to maintain seals. The PHEV may actually have an hermetically sealed unit, so no actual external seals. Still I would operate at least once a month, even if to check that all is working. There is an AirCon filter in the cabin that will need to be replaced periodically at service intervals.

BTW I have seen the electrical power of the AC up at the 6kW mark, during demisting with max temp set at 32C. My PHEV is Aspire model, so Petrol motor is not always needed for this task.

I think the impact of both the heating and AC on the EV range is quite dependent on the road conditions. You have around 10kWh available in the battery which is both moving the car and running the heating/AC... If you reckon on an EV range of around 25 miles, then you will run the battery flat in around half an hour at 50mph - if the heating/aircon is drawing 2kW at the same time, then it will have consumed 1kWh and pulled your EV range down by 10%. If, on the other hand, you are driving in urban traffic and averaging 25mph, then you might expect to consume the charge in one hour, but the heating/aircon will have time to suck 2kWh and reduce the range by 20% instead.

Am I not right in remembering that you can set if Auto should include a/c or not, in the ETACS settings in the app?

Like was mentioned earlier - it's in the manual - once the aircon is running hold down the AC button for 10 seconds. It will flash twice and beep three times for "off by default" and then if you do it again will flash twice, beep twice for "on by default".

Back