Dreaded "EV system service required" message

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pasquinade

Hi all,

Just a report that I was going down the road when out of nowhere I get the "EV system service required" message and the motors stopped working. Had to use inertia to get the car to the side. I was doing around 50kph at constant speed in one of those "constant speed congestions" (i.e. not slamming the accelerator). After restarting I no longer had the message, but the "P, D, B5" indication on the LCD panel behind the driving wheel was flashing, but otherwise seemed to be working. I switched off and on again and everything was back to normal. I did not release the brake while the indications were flashing so I don't know if it would have moved in that condition.

As mentioned in this thread http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3096 I've had this before, but always related to faulty OBD2 adapters. This time there was nothing plugged in.

I was carrying a lumber beam inside the habitat (long beam going over the parking brake and almost touching the front. I put a soft pillow in front to prevent the beam from hitting the console, but I cannot discard the possibility that some climate control buttons might have been inadvertently pressed (e.g. minute-long presses, most likely the AC "auto" button). I fail to see how this could affect EV driving, but who knows (I'm out of other ideas).

My car is due for the 1 year service in about a month, I'm planning to bring it up then. If it happens again before that I'll contact them sooner.

I would invest in the Torque PRO phone app. This allows for clearing those nagging messages. If there really is a problem the message will soon come back

gwatpe said:
I would invest in the Torque PRO phone app. This allows for clearing those nagging messages. If there really is a problem the message will soon come back
Have you tried this? Typically, Torque Pro only knows about the standard ICE and gearbox ECUs, and these are not the ECUs this message originates from. I have a commercial tool specific for the Outlander PHEV (http://www.icarsoft.com/web/icarsoftus/allproducts/mazdascantools/2012/201212/2012122912256kg3yn_1.html) and it clears messages per ECU. There are more than a dozen of them.

Hi gwatpe,

I have the Torque PRO app, but it was not required. When I turned the car off and back on the message was gone. The main issue was the loss of power going at around 50km/h until I did the reboot procedure....

Back