Warning - PHEV System Fault - Power Reduced - Service Required

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewPHEVowner

Hi Aussie Outlander PHEV team

I just picked up a brand new Mitsubishi Outlander Plug-in Hybrid EV EXCEED this morning on the Sunshine Coast. The sales rep advised he omitted to charge the car and he set the car up to drive home in the charge mode. I drove literally 200m down the road and an error message came up advising Warning - PHEV System Fault - Power Reduced - Service Required. I took it 200m back and their Mitsubishi Servicing Manager advised that the diagnostic report indicates that the error occurred because the battery had insufficient charge, and that it should be now ready to go again. I took it out again and a similar error occurred after 200m i.e. Warning - PHEV System Fault - Power Reduced - Stop Safely. I took it back again. I now have a loan car whilst the Dealer charges the vehicle and looks into the error further. Has anyone else had an experience like this? Should a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV be charged before a customers first use? What is a reasonable customer's expectation in this circumstance – they don’t seem at all concerned about the time/inconvenience to the customer. Thanks.

Attachments

• warning photo 1.jpg
    warning photo 1.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 131
  • warning photo 2.jpg
    warning photo 2.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 131
  • warning photo 4.jpg
    warning photo 4.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 131
First you shouldn't have this error message if the main drive battery is near empty. Second it shows 6/7 km electric range so it's not even empty.
You can get this message if the 12V auxiliary battery is depleted though. But then putting the car in charge mode won't change anything, the 12V auxiliary battery is always charged by the car whenever it is on, even without selecting the charge mode. You were right to take the car back to the dealership, they need to check this out and clear the error. I hope they will think to top up the 12V auxiliary battery and not just charge the main drive battery.

Thanks for your comment Daixiwen, I appreciate it. The Mitsubishi Dealer service department sent me advice late yesterday advising;-
'PHEV service required light on dash
  • Found vehicle to have no charge in the electric drive battery -this was the cause of PHEV system service light on dash.
    Carried out full battery charge over 24 hours.
    Scanned on workshop diagnostic computer and found no codes or faults to be present.
    Test drove car on all drive modes, all ok
    Retested on workshop diagnostic computer on return and again no codes or faults were found and vehicle operating as per normal.
  • '
Bizarre that everywhere I read, it indicates that the car can be driven without the electric drive battery being charge yet Mitsubishi advise that it was the cause for the fault.
I guess I try to pick the car up again and hope for the best.
Thanks again.

I hope it will work out! If you can, ask them to check the 12V auxiliary battery voltage before you pick the car up.
If you get the error message again during the next few days take the car back for a new check, you really shouldn't have this with a brand new car.

The 12v battery, if it was allowed to run completely flat, will have a much shortened lifespan so worth getting them to check that, tho after an overnight charge it may not tell much now.

As to the fault, I wonder if the shipping connector under the bonnet wasn't fully seated so gave some intermittent connection?

Yes it's possible... but in that case I suppose there would have been some fault codes recorded?
For that matter, that the dashboard shows "System fault" and that the service department didn't find any fault code in the system is rather... odd

Of course they found a code. They just don't want to deal with it hoping it is just from deep discharged battery that will sort out itself once charged.

Unfortunately, I continue to experience problems with this Mitsubishi Outlander Plug-in Hybrid EV

I experienced another PHEV system fault message a few days ago as per the photos which were the same or similar to the PHEV system fault messages I received when I attempted to pick the car up last week. Apparently, they have, or are investigating the auxiliary battery rather than the drive battery as suggested by Daixiwen.
Picture3.jpg
Picture4.jpg

The car has had difficulty charging since we received it last week. I estimate that it took over 30 hours to charge the car from 0 to 100%. It seems to draw 7.4A and then continuously jumps down to 0.4A as per the photo. We have had an electrician check the power points and they are 100% fine. Is this related to the PHEV system fault?
Picture1.jpg

The Dealer Service Department has now had the car for a couple of business days. I just chased up the Dealer Service Department as I hadn’t heard from them, and they have advised that they are working on it now as they were waiting on some input from Mitsubishi technical. I assume this means it wasn’t just a simple case of charging up the auxillary battery.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

You should be able to find those fault symbols in your manual.

They look like they're indicating problems with the parking sensors.

The charging problem could be indicative of issues with the Battery Management System.

Note that it is usual for the rate of charging to drop to a trickle at the end of a charging cycle.

So, really stretching here... If there is something causing high resistance somewhere in the connection, that may be interpreted by the charger as being near completion.

This is pure speculation on my part. I have no idea how the electronics and communications between the BMS and the charger work.

At this stage, you're probably much better off with Mitsubishi dealing with the problem.

Repairing Faulty/Damaged Car

The Dealer Service Operations Manager has confirmed that Mitsubishi Australia HQ want to be involved in understanding and solving the problem for the damaged/faulty car as it is a brand new car. The Dealer Service Operations Manager advised that the Drive System for the car needs to be replaced, the parts need to come from Japan, it will take approximately 6 weeks. The Dealer Service Operations Manager advised that the Drive System is essentially the computer system that runs the car. They have not advised of any issues with the 12v auxillary battery.

Hi NewPHEVowner, we've just experienced this problem today as well while driving out in the country. We've had the car 8 weeks (2023 Exceed) and have travelled 10,000kms without any issues.

Car is now waiting to be towed. :(

Attachments

• signal-2023-07-25-170547.jpeg
    signal-2023-07-25-170547.jpeg
    237.3 KB · Views: 122
NewPHEVowner said:
Repairing Faulty/Damaged Car

The Dealer Service Operations Manager has confirmed that Mitsubishi Australia HQ want to be involved in understanding and solving the problem for the damaged/faulty car as it is a brand new car. The Dealer Service Operations Manager advised that the Drive System for the car needs to be replaced, the parts need to come from Japan, it will take approximately 6 weeks. The Dealer Service Operations Manager advised that the Drive System is essentially the computer system that runs the car. They have not advised of any issues with the 12v auxillary battery.

6 Weeks seems a bit long.. there are daily flights from Japan.

Car was towed to the dealership where they discovered a rock has punctured the radiator and dropped all the coolant. :eek:

Hence limp mode was activated to protect the engine and traction battery from overheating.

Waiting for a new radiator and insurance claim to be approved.

Good to know there is a good reason for your fault. My Mitsubishi PHEV was dead from when I first tried to take it out of the Mitsubishi showroom. All the best!

PerthPHEV2023 said:
Car was towed to the dealership where they discovered a rock has punctured the radiator and dropped all the coolant. :eek:

Hence limp mode was activated to protect the engine and traction battery from overheating.

So the coolant tank was empty... and nobody even checked and saw that!?
Not to mention all dripping coolant from the radiator... you never noticed!?

The traction battery is not cooled by a coolant BTW

Which of both coolant radiators was damaged for the engine or for the rear motor, power drive unit and onboard charger?
Overheating should lighten up on the dash immediately at least for the engine!

AndyInOz said:
Note that it is usual for the rate of charging to drop to a trickle at the end of a charging cycle.

My car actually does that several time during charging, not just at the end

PerthPHEV2023 said:

Radiator and coolant, or A/C Condenser and refrigerant? Given that the Condenser is in front of the radiator, that's the more probable, especially as it's a thinner material. Also, the battery is cooled by the A/C system, the engine is definitely not.

Back