Electric consumption in a jam

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tun

Can I ask if anyone notice any reduction in mileage on battery when you were styled in a stationery jam?

Im about to buy this bad boy but on a daily basis I'm always stuck for at least 10-15 mins of stationery jam in my 90 mins commute :(

Thanks...

I get more km out of the battery in a traffic jam. Just keep a big gap between yourself and the guy in front of you. And you get to coast more.
Keeping the car moving albeit slowly or not and avoiding having to brake or accelerate saves battery quite a bit.

Off course having the AC on will always use a bit of power.

tun said:
Can I ask if anyone notice any reduction in mileage on battery when you were styled in a stationery jam?

Im about to buy this bad boy but on a daily basis I'm always stuck for at least 10-15 mins of stationery jam in my 90 mins commute :(

Thanks...

When it's doing this, have you got the blue arrow from the drive battery to the wheels showing? If so then it's using charge. ;)

Knock it into neutral or press the brake pedal a bit harder and the arrow will go... :)

Other than this I don't know why this would be. Is it a significant drop in mileage?

Kaboom said:
When it's doing this, have you got the blue arrow from the drive battery to the wheels showing? If so then it's using charge. ;)

Knock it into neutral or press the brake pedal a bit harder and the arrow will go... :)

Other than this I don't know why this would be. Is it a significant drop in mileage?

That's an important point. When I first got my PHEV I noticed the blue arrow when stationary and couldn't understand why it was showing. It was a dew days before I realized pushing harder on the brakes cut it off. Now I ensure I'm either in neutral for long stops or I press harder on the pedal for shorter stops.

Not all traffic jams are created equal! As someone has already posted, the energy efficiency is better at constant low speeds than it is at high speeds - if you are crawling at 5 to 10mph with few stops, you will probably get more range out of your battery. Repeated starting and stopping is going to hit your power consumption much the same as it would hit petrol consumption. With both our old Prius and the new Outlander, we got our record fuel economy while the roadworks were in progress round the M25 and we were cruising many miles at around 40mph.

And what B setting of Regen you are using. High settings will slow you down quicker between stops but you won't recover all the energy used getting you up to speed in the first place. If you use B0 in stop/start traffic then you can use less energy getting moving and then coast "for free" up to the next stop - where the brakes give you some Regen, as well. :mrgreen:

In really slow traffic just let it creep under its own steam, just like a normal auto, which will almost certainly be more economical than you can manage with your right foot.

Back