Electric Heating Issues

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macaulays

Afternoon All, I have a 2016 UK Outlander 4h which doesn't heat at all using the electric heating system. AC seems to cool fine in the summer and engine based heating works (if not necessarily 'toasty hot'). I'm aware that two areas of common intervention include the engine bay coolant like filter which can get obstructed and a mysterious 'four way valve' which similarly can get stuck. Does anyone know if heat from engine being moderately okay but nothing at all from electric heating whether driving or app requesting suggests either of those areas is the more likely culprit? Are either likely to affect electric *and* engine with the fact I am only having an issue with one providing any clues?

Any thoughts most appreciated.

Sandy

Last edited:
To diagnose and fix your heating issue, you need to carry out some steps:

1. There could be stuck airflaps. To reset/fix this, you need to put the car into ACC2 mode, push AUTO on the HVAC controls, and then press the MODE button 20 times, pausing for about 5 seconds between each press.

2. If this doesn't help, the cabin temperature sensor might be blocked with fluff/dust, and/or other stuff. It's located behind the gashes on the dashboard near the steering column. You can clean that with a compressed air can.

3. The cabin heater matrix might be blocked. You can check on YouTube to learn how to fix this or find a garage to do it for you.

4. The 4-way valve might be blocked. You can check on YouTube to learn how to fix this or find a garage to do it for you.

5. If none of the above fixes the issue with heating, you are probably looking at a broken electric heater or electric pump, especially if it heats fine from the engine.

Back