Extended Test Drive (UK)

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteH

Hi all - first post here - so ... hello !

I'm considering changing our 2012 Skoda Yeti for an Outlander PHEV (probably a GX4h from the research I've done so far) We mainly drive in town - 10 mile school run twice a day, plus a few 20 mile round-trips (my wife is a physio working in the community). We also do several longer trips a year - mainly camping holidays with a trailer tent. We have off-street parking with an easily accessible socket - so a PHEV seems the ideal choice for us. But ideally I would like to try one out to see how the reality matches up to the marketing.

Before I registered on the forum, I did a fair bit of reading and saw a couple of people mentioned extended test drives of 2-3 days (or even a whole week in some cases) But having just contacted our closest Mitsubishi dealer (Brighton) they knocked me back straight away. "Not enough cars sir" I will try the next closest dealer (Gatwick) but suspect it may be the same answer.

So, anyone who has had an extended test drive - can I ask if you went through a specific dealer or was it arranged directly with Mitsubishi UK ?

Many thanks

Pete

Had a 3 day test from my dealer this time last year which confirmed its performance (Dealer is Chandlers of Grantham)
Excellent service, we acquired a 3+ last February.
I suspect that UK stock has run down waiting for 2017 spec.
Big John :D

PeteH said:
Was just reading about MY17 ... any idea when deliveries start ?

Just to follow up on my question - from a conversation with a dealer - MY17 deliveries are expected to start late November, but there's still no official details on spec changes they are expecting a £1.5K price increase

PeteH said:
But having just contacted our closest Mitsubishi dealer (Brighton) they knocked me back straight away. "Not enough cars sir"

I had pretty bad customer service from the Brighton branch. They implied they would charge me more for maintenance/repairs if I bought my Outlander elsewhere, and when I declined to buy saying I had a cheaper quote elsewhere, the guy sent me a shirty email saying I was "rude" and "frustrating" because I'd wasted their time doing a test drive when I didn't intend to buy from them (I would have bought there if they'd matched the lower price), and winged that I was buying from a large franchise that could afford cheaper prices. As a consumer, as far as I'm concerned a Mitsubishi dealer is a Mitsubishi dealer, I just want the best price I can get. I don't get Tesco Express staff complaining I'm going to a big Tesco because milk is cheaper.
(Sorry, that was somewhat off topic :roll: )

Hi. How often do you do the 20 mile round trips and with what gaps between. Need to think about the charging time - you would presumably look to get. A 16 amp charger... Great car for camping with a trailer (as we do) - can charge at campsite. You should just about manage a 20 mile round trip on battery in winter if you preheat/use seat heating.
Cheers
H

endsofinvention said:
I had pretty bad customer service from the Brighton branch. They implied they would charge me more for maintenance/repairs if I bought my Outlander elsewhere, and when I declined to buy saying I had a cheaper quote elsewhere, the guy sent me a shirty email saying I was "rude" and "frustrating" because I'd wasted their time doing a test drive when I didn't intend to buy from them (I would have bought there if they'd matched the lower price), and winged that I was buying from a large franchise that could afford cheaper prices. As a consumer, as far as I'm concerned a Mitsubishi dealer is a Mitsubishi dealer, I just want the best price I can get. I don't get Tesco Express staff complaining I'm going to a big Tesco because milk is cheaper.

Thanks - yes I only had a brief telephone chat with them - but they did not seem overly interested in my business.

Hypermiler said:
Hi. How often do you do the 20 mile round trips and with what gaps between. Need to think about the charging time - you would presumably look to get. A 16 amp charger... Great car for camping with a trailer (as we do) - can charge at campsite. You should just about manage a 20 mile round trip on battery in winter if you preheat/use seat heating.
Cheers
H

It's my wife who does those trips - a couple of times a week. It's usually to patient's houses for 1 hour before coming home - so no chance of charging on those trips unfortunately.

The school run would bring the biggest savings. Tempted to hold out for a 2017 model if it will have the capability to force electric mode for those trips. We already have a 13amp socket in the car port - so would start with that initially for overnight charging

If your a fleet customer with a large enough fleet or opportunity a demo car can be arranged. If your a private buyer your in the hands of your local dealers. Most dealerships are franchised independent business's so I can understand their side. If people go into a dealership for a test drive and state the vehicle will be supplied elsewhere it probably wont go down well - at least give them a chance for the business if they cant compete at least you gave them the opportunity.

endsofinvention said:
PeteH said:
But having just contacted our closest Mitsubishi dealer (Brighton) they knocked me back straight away. "Not enough cars sir"

I feel I must put in a good word for the Brighton branch!
I booked a test drive and the salesman was very helpful and informative. They offered the same trade in as my local toyota dealer on my rav4 and also offered to include the 3 year service package on one of their cars. Since taking the test drive I have been distracted with some health issues but would have no reservations about going back to Brighton once they are resolved.

In the early days of outlander the dealers were ok with 2-3 days trail. But now with being well established there could reluctance from dealers. I borrowed it for a day in early 2016 and again on a separate day. They were happy with it. As far I am concerned you dont need for more than a day . Lots information on this site and no more free charging on EH

I got an extended test drive last month from my dealer in Colchester. I had the usual 5 minute test drive and once they had worked out I was serious I asked for an extended test and it wasn't a problem. Booked in a few weeks ahead, I had it from 4pm on Saturday to 10am Tuesday. That gave me a day with the family in it and a day of my commute which gave me lots of opportunity to drive it without making (many) special trips.

Back