Extending/improving wifi range

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichM

It seems that the wifi is weaker when trying to transmit on the drivers side. Unfortunately that is the side that points towards my house when I have it on charge in the carport. Thought i would try one of these cheap repeaters (£17).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E95C2BC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Took 5 minutes to read the instructions and 2 minutes to set up. Just locate it as close to the car as you can. You then connect your device (iPhone etc) to the repeater and not the car. I can now pick this up throughout the house.

RichM said:
It seems that the wifi is weaker when trying to transmit on the drivers side. Unfortunately that is the side that points towards my house when I have it on charge in the carport. Thought i would try one of these cheap repeaters (£17).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E95C2BC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Took 5 minutes to read the instructions and 2 minutes to set up. Just locate it as close to the car as you can. You then connect your device (iPhone etc) to the repeater and not the car. I can now pick this up throughout the house.
Hi,
Can you state what settings you chose to get it working with the PHEV? i.e. A simple stept through?
Kind regards,
Mark

Hi Mark

It was simple

Switched off main house wifi
Plugged it in in the kitchen quite near to the car
searched for it with my iPad and connected to it (its password was in the instruction book that came with it)
Clicked the repeater option on the screen that came up
It looked for and connected to the car
Entered the car password
Done

Then just connect to the repeater and not the car itself from then on

Works a treat

Regards

Richard

RichM said:
Hi Mark

It was simple

Switched off main house wifi
Plugged it in in the kitchen quite near to the car
searched for it with my iPad and connected to it (its password was in the instruction book that came with it)
Clicked the repeater option on the screen that came up
It looked for and connected to the car
Entered the car password
Done

Then just connect to the repeater and not the car itself from then on

Works a treat

Regards

Richard
Hi Richard,
Thanks for that. I have just ordered one so fingers crossed.
Kind regards,
Mark

Can we have a follow-up confirming success in a few weeks time please? I tried a TP-Link extender as recommended in another thread on this forum and it seemed to work ok for a few days after which the car wifi locked up so completely that I had to do a full system reset before I could connect to it even with the extender powered off and sitting in the car!

I extended the wifi signal with a TP-Link Repeater near my charge wallbox...

P1260112.jpg

P1260128.jpg

gwatpe said:
I would not be advertising an unsupported cord like you have.
The schuko plug? Thats my scooter charging (6A only).
The PHEV wallbox installation is 2.5mm single-core non-armored cooper cable that supports up to 32A.

t3lmo said:
gwatpe said:
I would not be advertising an unsupported cord like you have.
The schuko plug? Thats my scooter charging (6A only).
The PHEV wallbox installation is 2.5mm single-core non-armored cooper cable that supports up to 32A.

I think he was referring to the charging cable running the length of the car suspended in the air just by the plugs at each end...

maby said:
I think he was referring to the charging cable running the length of the car suspended in the air just by the plugs at each end...
Not that bad but yes, 4 meters is short for our SUV. Still waiting for a 6 meter long to change.

10832175_356985747819821_1046839225_n.jpg

I am with my Outlander PHEV in the same condition of Mark; so I tried with a repeater TP_Link TLWA(%=RE but is not working.
Could You say me the brand and type You used, because the data You entered, now are not reflected in Amazon.co.uk.
Thank You Very Much Roberto

I have recently bought a net gear extender, and even though it hooks up to the car fine and stays connected etc. when I launch in to the app, it basically says that I'm not connected... Any one have any idea on how to get around this? It's white frustrating as it was quite expensive and really hope it's going to work...

Think the steps are
1. Connect extender to your computer with Ethernet cable.
2. Using browser, navigate to http://mywifiext.net. Range extender will then scan for networks and give a list.
3. Select the PHEV's network and click continue
4. Enter passphrase/key and continue. Extender will then join network.

Then select the network in your iPhone and enter the key, then launch the app.

Titan said:
Think the steps are
2. Using browser, navigate to http://mywifiext.net. Range extender will then scan for networks and give a list.

That's exactly the steps I've followed, and everything says it's all connected, but when I go to connect the app it comes with the screen that 'the device is connected to a network other than the vehicle' which while correct shouldn't be... I'll have a play over the weekend as I'm home, but I'm not confident...

Titan said:
Think the steps are

That's exactly the steps I've followed, and everything says it's all connected, but when I go to connect the app it comes with the screen that 'the device is connected to a network other than the vehicle' which while correct shouldn't be... I'll have a play over the weekend as I'm home, but I'm not confident...

thegurio said:
I have recently bought a net gear extender, and even though it hooks up to the car fine and stays connected etc. when I launch in to the app, it basically says that I'm not connected... Any one have any idea on how to get around this? It's white frustrating as it was quite expensive and really hope it's going to work...
I did not get my Netgear extender to work so I bought an Asus instead. Pls look here: http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7637#p7637

Back