Extension cables

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tippers

Hi all, taking delivery of my new gx4hs on the 25th Nov. Hoping someone who has experience with charging via an extension lead can help. I am debating between these two leads: Masterplug CT1510P or
Masterplug CT1513P. Both are a decent price on Amazon, but +£5 for the 13amp vs the 10amp version. Would people recommend going for the 13amp version or will the 10amp be okay?

I've also seen numerous posts about securely charging using an extension lead (i will be using a padlock on the trigger at least). Some people drive over theirs it seems (not sure i can be faffed with that) but i've also seen a post on here where the lead is connected to the EVSE in the boot! http://myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1695

Don't either of these damage the cables? Does anyone else shut theirs in the boot while charging? What if the cables overheat while in the boot? The cables i am looking at are splashproof, so should be okay in the rain, especially if i put them on the wheel arch as i've seen someone suggest. interested as i guess shutting in the boot makes them extra tamper proof as long as the boot properly shuts!

If I used the provided charge cable I have a lock that will take 2 widths of the cable so I loop it through the Alloy and then apply the lock. Works find for me.

productTemplate

http://www.diy.com/search/results/?question=padlock&prodNum=64&fromUtil=true&fromFacetForm=false&searchMode=and&sortOption=&pageSize=64

Are you really going to use an extension lead in circumstances where theft it a serious concern? Most people using an extension are doing so at home where they are off the public road, but do not have a power socket available near where they park the car. Is it really a significant risk that someone is going to come onto your private property to steal an extension cable worth twenty quid? Obviously it would be more of a risk in a public car park, but I can't see any conceivable need for an extension cable in those circumstances.

maby said:
Are you really going to use an extension lead in circumstances where theft it a serious concern? Most people using an extension are doing so at home where they are off the public road, but do not have a power socket available near where they park the car. Is it really a significant risk that someone is going to come onto your private property to steal an extension cable worth twenty quid? Obviously it would be more of a risk in a public car park, but I can't see any conceivable need for an extension cable in those circumstances.

maby, I don't think its the worry of the £20 extension cable, it's the £150-£200 charge cable that people are concerned about and try to secure.

Tippers said:
Hi all, taking delivery of my new gx4hs on the 25th Nov. Hoping someone who has experience with charging via an extension lead can help. I am debating between these two leads: Masterplug CT1510P or
Masterplug CT1513P. Both are a decent price on Amazon, but +£5 for the 13amp vs the 10amp version. Would people recommend going for the 13amp version or will the 10amp be okay?

Personally I'd pay the extra for the 13amp on the basis that the car wants to draw 10amps so with a 10amp cable you are at the limits of its capacity.

Tippers said:

I've also seen numerous posts about securely charging using an extension lead (i will be using a padlock on the trigger at least). Some people drive over theirs it seems (not sure i can be faffed with that) but i've also seen a post on here where the lead is connected to the EVSE in the boot! http://myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1695

Don't either of these damage the cables? Does anyone else shut theirs in the boot while charging? What if the cables overheat while in the boot? The cables i am looking at are splashproof, so should be okay in the rain, especially if i put them on the wheel arch as i've seen someone suggest. interested as i guess shutting in the boot makes them extra tamper proof as long as the boot properly shuts!
How are you going to put it in the boot with the plug on the outside? :?: Cut a piece out of the edge?

Ozukus said:
maby said:

maby, I don't think its the worry of the £20 extension cable, it's the £150-£200 charge cable that people are concerned about and try to secure.

True, but the OP has already said that he intends to put a padlock on that. He seems to be concerned about how to secure his extension cable.

jaapv said:

How are you going to put it in the boot with the plug on the outside? :?: Cut a piece out of the edge?

I think the assumption is that the cable will fit between the tailgate and bodywork with the rubber seal deforming. I have not tried this - but I'm not dependent on using an extension cable.

maby said:
Ozukus said:
maby said:

True, but the OP has already said that he intends to put a padlock on that. He seems to be concerned about how to secure his extension cable.

Aha, didn't read it thoroughly enough, my padlock would have enough room for an extension cable as well, so that would work, the thread he posted showed the extension and main part of the charge cable in the boot, with the boot closed over the two leads.

maby said:
jaapv said:

I think the assumption is that the cable will fit between the tailgate and bodywork with the rubber seal deforming. I have not tried this - but I'm not dependent on using an extension cable.
The rubber seal incorporates the automatic reopening sensor, deform it and the tailgate will open automatically. The gap is less than 4 mm on my car.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm settled on the 13amp cable :)

On shoving it all in the boot, was only interested as a means of stopping someone thinking oh I'll unplug that what fun - not sure how likely it is in practice. Not worried about theft of the extension cable, only the EVSE one - for which I'll either padlock the trigger or to the wheel.

I don't have off street parking, so might need the extension cable if I can't park directly out front but still within a certain range (e.g not planning to drag cable round other cars or over the road). But most of the time I expect I'll be able to charge using the standard cable, my outdoor socket and a well placed drainage channel which is the perfect width for a cable to stop unwary pedestrians from tripping.

Tippers said:

A few points that you maybe should keep in mind Tippers. The loss in cables is proportional to both their length and the current you are drawing. Ten amps is a lot so the combination here makes charging an electric vehicle close to a worst case. Hence, I guess, why the manual states that you shouldn't use an extension lead at all. So you are right to consider the lower resistance 13A cable if you are going to try one at all. Keep in mind as well that coiling the cable is a no-no as it can increase its impedance (causing more heat) and concentrate the heat so make sure it is fully uncoiled before use.

Copper is fairly soft and suffers stress damage easily so trapping the cable in a car door is a really bad idea. The plastic insulation is even more vulnerable of course and a stripped cable can simply kill you. So for all those reasons I would not contemplate trying to trap any current-carrying cable let alone one carrying as much as 10A. You talked about the water hazard. I am not sure if there are such things as waterproof extension cables but standard ones are a real risk in the rain or where there is any moisture. Protection can be provided by an RCCD trip but these are not a perfect solution.

Having said all of that the most likely risk of cables statistically I believe, if not maybe the most lethal risk, is the trip hazard and, as you pointed out, you need to think carefully about how you run the wire to avoid any chance of anyone falling over it.

I don't mean to be negative Tipper - just trying to think through everything you should keep in mind. Good luck with it all.

Back