first long trip - UK to Sardinia and back

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweeds

We took a very fully laden phev down to Sardinia from the UK for a windsurfing championship - board plus a quiverack (long roof box) on the roof, plus loads of kit inside too.

I wasn't sure what to expect on such a long trip, but the car was an utter joy. Didn't have any opportunities to charge, so just tried to maintain charge at around 50%, and cruising at 60mph I was returning around 35mpg. Unfortunately I spent most of the journey cruising at around 85mph, so the economy was down to around 26mpg. Not great compared to my usual driving, but I think it is fantastic for a loaded up 2 litre 4x4.

On such a long run the ACC was invaluable and greatly reduced the physical and mental stress of driving; I did Genoa to Portsmouth in a day yesterday and don't feel too bad today.

A big eye opener was the acceleration from 70 to 85. Not what I (or the BMWs up my @rse) was expecting!

Sounds like an excellent task for the vehicle and from your report an almost excellent vehicle for the task - the time and facilities to charge being the exception. I have not really tried the ACC yet. Looking forward to a long motorway run to have a proper go.

I think the sound levels in a car maybe have a bit more to do with stress, and reducing it, than perhaps we realise. Given that the PHEV is pretty quiet I think that this should help the long-distance experience or did you find it noisier running for hours at 85mph.

There was a fair bit of wind noise from the stuff on the roof, but not horrific.

Phevourite said:
Sounds like an excellent task for the vehicle and from your report an almost excellent vehicle for the task - the time and facilities to charge being the exception. I have not really tried the ACC yet. Looking forward to a long motorway run to have a proper go.

I think the sound levels in a car maybe have a bit more to do with stress, and reducing it, than perhaps we realise. Given that the PHEV is pretty quiet I think that this should help the long-distance experience or did you find it noisier running for hours at 85mph.

I think you will love ACC once you get used to it - your first few days will probably see your foot hovering over the brake pedal "just in case" but then you will learn to trust it and relax with both feet in "armchair" mode! You can close your eyes knowing that if you drift off line the LDW will wake you gently with a nudge, and if anything stops suddenly in front of you while you are in the land of nod, the FCM will bring you safely to a stop. I love my 4hs! :D

ACC is good but I wish I could stop the infernal beeping!!! (Well I can't find it in the book) Also want the LDW to be off when I start the car but can't get that to stay off either.

Oh and even on the closest setting ACC is a little too sensitive for a busy motorway....think M25? It's really annoying to find the car slows down just as you pull out to overtake and then won't speed up until the road in front is clear. I now override it with my right foot to keep up with the traffic when overtaking.

Great car though and just a few little annoyances. :D Much better than my previous BMW diesel auto.

Tipper said:
ACC is good but I wish I could stop the infernal beeping!!! (Well I can't find it in the book) Also want the LDW to be off when I start the car but can't get that to stay off either.

Oh and even on the closest setting ACC is a little too sensitive for a busy motorway....think M25? It's really annoying to find the car slows down just as you pull out to overtake and then won't speed up until the road in front is clear. I now override it with my right foot to keep up with the traffic when overtaking.

Great car though and just a few little annoyances. :D Much better than my previous BMW diesel auto.

If it works the same, press the LDW button for 10 seconds when holding your foot on the brake in drive mode. The message LDW2 should come up on the central screen. It will then be off until you switch it on. As for the beeping with the ACC, not found a way round that one, I'm afraid.

Got a chance to try the ACC today. Too early to get much beyond the "this is shiny and new" feeling but I think you are all right - it is a great feature. I loved cruise control when I first started using it about 30 years ago and now I can see this doing the same again. Another step toward more relaxed driving.

Back