First Post - impressed

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MackV12

Bought the car 3 weeks ago. Just over 1k miles later - very impressed. Found the the car to be almost silent and beautiful to drive.

From an economy perspective been a bit annoyed. If Mitsubishi advertise a car that does 148mpg, why does the mpg dial only go up to 99.9mpg? :shock: Made the mistake of filling the petrol tank. Only used £22 of petrol in the 1k miles since purchase. :D

Day 1 I used the car to shift a small sofa, chair, wardrobe and tomorrow off with the family carrying 4 bikes. Bit like a Swiss army knife, the car is very versatile - with my family - it has to be.

Other car in the family is a Prius. After 4 years not a single thing has gone wrong with it. Averaging 50mpg has been good, but no where near the promised 70+mpg. When making up my mind on the next car I visited the Toyota garage to look at their PHEV. Firstly they had none and the sales men laughed at me. Why would I want a more expensive car than the standard Prius....on to the Mitsubishi garage and the rest is history.

So anyone thinking of taking the plunge into PHEV, I can highly recommend it.

Hi.
Congrats and glad you like it. We have a Prius too and have done approaching 150,000 miles in it - never had a problem (tyres, brakes, the odd bulb - that's it). No problems in nearly 10,000 miles in Mitsu... and the continental European owners on here seem very largely happy after a lot longer than that!

Versatility - is what we like about the car too- you get the versatility without having to drive a guzzling 3 litre diesel. If it could have squeezed a couple of extra seats in it really would be perfect. We have a tow bar bike rack and a small trailer which we can tow at the same time so really do have all bases covered luggage wise!
Cheers
H

£22 petrol used for 1000 miles :shock: :shock:
My company was told there's no need for charging points 'cause the car's ICE charges the batteries : I'm getting approx 28mpg & my 2 associates are getting approx 25mpg :shock: We have runs of about 25 miles into London & back.
If we run the cars without charging, ie on petrol alone we are all getting approx 32mpg !!
We spoke to a member of service dept' of a North London dealer who said if the PHEV was plugged in every night we could only expect approx 50mpg which tallies with a UK motoring mag who has one on long term test.
They say that even with the PHEV on charge at the office all day they are only averaging between 42 - 50mpg depending on the outside temperature.

Regards ..... Gary

stickfly said:
My company was told there's no need for charging points 'cause the car's ICE charges the batteries : I'm getting approx 28mpg & my 2 associates are getting approx 25mpg :shock: We have runs of about 25 miles into London & back.
If we run the cars without charging, ie on petrol alone we are all getting approx 32mpg !!
We spoke to a member of service dept' of a North London dealer who said if the PHEV was plugged in every night we could only expect approx 50mpg which tallies with a UK motoring mag who has one on long term test.
They say that even with the PHEV on charge at the office all day they are only averaging between 42 - 50mpg depending on the outside temperature.

Regards ..... Gary

Wow.. this is pretty bad eventhough it's a 2 tonne car :( I wonder what's sucking up all the juice. I thought MiVEC engine at this time of the era should be more economical and quite powerful.

stickfly said:

Regards ..... Gary

There seems to be some misinformation coming out of some dealers! The fuel economy achievable is extremely dependent on pattern of usage - if you are able to charge frequently and your usage is almost exclusively short journeys, then the 148mpg is certainly achievable. But if you cannot charge between journeys or regularly travel well outside the 25 mile EV range, then the fuel economy will fall off rapidly. That said, if you are getting 25mpg you must have a rather heavy right foot. Running as a pure petrol hybrid, it seems to return figures approaching 40mpg.

Agree with previous post. If I drive the car a long distance ie past the battery range, I get late 30's.

Even with zero battery and around town I get mid to late 30's, so not sure what u r doing to get late 20's.

I put the car in Eco mode and never use the brake paddles. Rarely use the aircon, but leave temp set at 20 degrees. Other than smooth driving and observing the speed limits, I let the car do its thing.

To be honest I have found that even nursing the car only gets about 32mpg.
Mitsubishi should be sued for the outrageous claims they made!
They actually said that you do not need charging points. One report says that a company car driver without access to charging points, who averages 300 miles per day should be able to get 100mpg.
It's a nice car to drive but if you can't charge it during the day and then the night, it's just a normal petrol car and needs to be driven as such. Forget all the EV gimmicks, just accept the fact that it's just a nice, large gas guzzling car and enjoy it 'cause it's never going to be as cheap on the fuel as my previous diesel was. I parked in a London NCP car park this week and hooked up to the " Free " charge point. After 2 hours I returned to find I had 14 miles on the battery. The cost of the parking ? £18. I then checked the on road parking rate & found I could have parked for £8 on a meter. So £10 for 14 miles of motoring. :shock: :shock: My previous diesel would have given me around 80 miles for £10 not 14.
Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great car to drive with a good boot area but if we were in the wild west we would be able to string the salesmen from trees for selling these on the grounds that they will travel for months without filling up with petrol. About 250 miles for a full tank.
Amazing.

Regards .......... Gary

If every car manufacturer who could not hit their quoted MPG figures were sued , there would not be very many who were not :lol:
That said it is a well know fact that the way the figures are calculated does play into the hands of Hybrid makers.

What I am struggling with, is why you were told you did not need a charging point.
Even if you only get 25miles from a charge.. 10kwh at 12p per KWH still works out as a significant saving over a gallon of fuel :eek:
Yes the car has the ability to fully charge the battery using about 3litres (while not moving) , but why would you choose to do that :?:

If you are going to run a PHEV then a charge point is a must as far as I can see.
I think the biggest fault sits with the person who told your company not to bother with charge points :roll:

Gary,

I think you either bought the wrong car or you bought it from the wrong person :)

I would think based on your usage pattern a diesel version would save you more in the long run...

Just my thought :p

I can't agree more. This vehicle is not for everyone. If you don't have right usage/driving profile, you should not get a PHEV.
Being a 90% urban driver with short trips in a day and after 10000kms, I've spent $150 on fuel which is app. 100 litres of fuel. This means 100 kms per litre or 282 mpg :) Can't be happier :D

ufo said:
I can't agree more. This vehicle is not for everyone. If you don't have right usage/driving profile, you should not get a PHEV.
Being a 90% urban driver with short trips in a day and after 10000kms, I've spent $150 on fuel which is app. 100 litres of fuel. This means 100 kms per litre or 282 mpg :) Can't be happier :D

You are falling into the trap of not taking the cost of electricity into account there, you know! I see that you are in Aus - gwatpe tells us that the cost of electricity there is so high that the running costs in EV mode are not that much better than on petrol. In Britain, taking into account the relative costs of petrol and electricity, the running costs on electricity translate to something like 180mpg for most people.

stickfly said:
Regards .......... Gary

Your definition of "nursing" must be rather different to mine! I have no difficulty getting 35mpg on pure petrol and I've seen it return 43mpg on cruise control on a flat road at 50mph - with a completely flat battery.

Car manufacturers have been sued over this issue. The only one ever to lose (to the EU) was Mercedes for using the figures for the small Diesel in an ad that featured the big V8 Petrol...
The reason is that these figures have to be the ones -by law in most countries- that are achieved in the official test run. Thus they are for comparison between similar vehicles only and bear no relationship to real life. These test runs tend to produce extremely good figures for PHEV type vehicles.
stickfly said:
They actually said that you do not need charging points. One report says that a company car driver without access to charging points, who averages 300 miles per day should be able to get 100mpg.
It's a nice car to drive but if you can't charge it during the day and then the night, it's just a normal petrol car and needs to be driven as such. Forget all the EV gimmicks, just accept the fact that it's just a nice, large gas guzzling car and enjoy it 'cause it's never going to be as cheap on the fuel as my previous diesel was. I parked in a London NCP car park this week and hooked up to the " Free " charge point. After 2 hours I returned to find I had 14 miles on the battery. The cost of the parking ? £18. I then checked the on road parking rate & found I could have parked for £8 on a meter. So £10 for 14 miles of motoring. :shock: :shock: My previous diesel would have given me around 80 miles for £10 not 14.
Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great car to drive with a good boot area but if we were in the wild west we would be able to string the salesmen from trees for selling these on the grounds that they will travel for months without filling up with petrol. About 250 miles for a full tank.
Amazing.

Regards .......... Gary

tun said:
stickfly said:

Regards ..... Gary

Wow.. this is pretty bad eventhough it's a 2 tonne car :( I wonder what's sucking up all the juice. I thought MiVEC engine at this time of the era should be more economical and quite powerful.

Note he is driving 25 miles into London & back. He doesn't give the journey but at "rush hour", speeds will be low with stop/start jams. Without any charge this will be as thirsty as any other ICE driven vehicle and produce equally poor consumption figures.

Anybody who takes manufacturers figures as gospel is naive.
There is plenty of info on the web about real life figures. I have had mine since November and the economy is pretty much as I expected based upon that info.
Any savvy lease consultant should be aware of the actual economy expectation also and advise accordingly.
The biggest losers are the companies who allow their high mileage employees to switch from your average diesel car. They pick up the huge increase in fuel cost whilst the employee is laughing all the way to the bank.
It works for me :D

MarkShelley said:
The biggest losers are the companies who allow their high mileage employees to switch from your average diesel car. They pick up the huge increase in fuel cost whilst the employee is laughing all the way to the bank.

Yes, but they can boast about their "green" credentials in the annual report, whilst it is their customers who actually pay the extra fuel costs :lol:

Back