Gen-3 Glasscoat "Ceramic Paint Protection"

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claymore

The dealer I'm buying from (Luscombe Mitsubishi in Leeds) is offering treatment with the above for around £160.

They say it helps them offer better trade in deals when the cars come back eventually(?).

The proprietor is also a Suzuki dealer. The reason I mention that is because I found a thread on the Dutch forum on this subject which mentions a Dutch dealer offering the same product on Mitsus and that dealer is also a Suzuki dealer. Apparently Suzuki offer a 5 year guarantee on this treatment. If that is indeed the case Suzuki must have some faith in the product.

The cost seems very reasonable and is stated to be little above cost (which involves several hours of prep and application work) but I still can't make up my mind whether to opt for it.

Has anyone had this done and if so what is your opinion?

Jim B

Seemed to be a standard promotion when I bought mine last summer. To be frank, I can't tell and neither could the dealer, whether it was, in fact, done or not - I had an issue, as I wasn't sure what I had paid for :( . I've got the basic white, so it is very difficult to see any "extra" gloss.

However, others have commented that the paint is rather thin and have complained about stone chips and I have to admit I haven't got any - but I've only done 6,000 miles mainly in Lundun with no "off road", so perhaps I'm just lucky so far. :p

Though, having spent £28k+ of my own money on the car, another £160 just in case, doesn't seem to bad. :lol:

Having spent many more hours trawling for info I found a 'detailers' forum :ugeek: and it certainly appears from that that the treatment is excellent as long as it's applied by pros rather than amateurs.

So it will be done.

I suppose if there's even the faintest chance that it will help reduce the number of chips that'll be a welcome bonus.

Man! You are lucky!
I would've booked it without hesitation.
My Outlander here in Switzerland was CHF 53.000 (GBP 37.000), so the treatment would be a super bargain!

I'm planing to coat mine an soon as the temperatures are perfect again in spring.
Just the chemicals alone did cost me more than GBP 60...!
I'll use Koch's 1k nano sealing stuff and sxpect many hours of work... :(

Just to add my own experience. I would be very wary of dealer paint protection products. They are the classic "upsell" - "to protect such a valuable purchase, sir" and in your case the trade-in comments. They are very high margin and pushed hard for that reason.
My thoughts -
1. The products typically retail for £10-30 a go - that's retail not trade. The one you've been offered has its own website and I think is £11.99 for a good sized bottle. Don't be seduced by the rather aspirational labelling. It is basically a low-end retail product designed for Joe Public to apply on a Sunday afternoon - you can of course do it yourself.
2. As you say, the preparation, application and curing is key. The problem is that most dealers have neither the interest, the staff, expertise, patience or facilities to do it properly and it is usually given to the 17 year old lad round the back to get on with it. There's plenty of comment from serious detailers about this on websites and buyers of exotic machinery often insist dealers do not touch their cars but pass them straight across to detailers.
3. I was offered a similar product here in London for £300 and declined. Instead I went for a GTechniq ceramic coating for around £500 from a proper detailer who was an authorised agent and had proper facilities. He kept the car for 2 days and had a very impressive "clean room" which was properly lit. I've been delighted. 18 months in, it has held up very well in London and I simply use a hose and cloth to rinse off dirt (car is white). In my view, this is much better value albeit more expensive.
4. Conceptually I think a coating is a good idea but you just need to be clear about what you are paying for. By the way, I do not spend hours "detailing" my cars. I simply wanted a product to aid longevity and make washing much easier.

The good news is that you are only paying £150 for the youth's time. People are often quoted £500 which is a simple upselling rip-off.
Good luck.

Back