Heating question...

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tipper

Another perhaps silly question but how do I set the heating to give just ventilation?

I now have aircon on manual to stop it coming on and wasting battery. But there seems no way to run the blower/fan without the heater doing its thing and heating up the incoming air. It appears that the temperature setting will always have an effect on the air as I can't get it lower than 15C. Today it was 14C outside and all I wanted was a little fresh cool air but there is always a temperature setting on the heater controls which I presume means it will heat the incoming air.

Am I missing something here?

Setting the heater to 15 deg means turning it off. No energy will be consumed by the heater. Only a little bit by the fan. And a lot by the A/C compressor, if the snowflake is on.

If the last setting of your climate control was set to say chest high vents, when you turn it off these will be open and air will circulate through as that was the setting prior to turning off. Likewise if it was set to feet, then air would flow to feet, however the fan won't be operating.

Tipper said:
OK and what happens when it's 5C outside? Surely the heater will come into operation?

The claim is not - though if the temperature outside is 5C, the last thing I want to do is turn off the heater!

Ozukus said:
If the last setting of your climate control was set to say chest high vents, when you turn it off these will be open and air will circulate through as that was the setting prior to turning off. Likewise if it was set to feet, then air would flow to feet, however the fan won't be operating.
Tipper is, as far as I understand, not talking about turning of the whole system, but just about setting the temperature to 15 deg. That will not cause the fan to stop blowing.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

But...my point is...in a car with an electric heater, running EV only, and not pre-heating, how do I get straight unheated air without the electric heater automatically turning on when the air inlet temp is below the lowest setting on the dials, ie 15C? If I turn the heating off it all goes off including the fan. If I turn the fan on the temp setting appears even though I don't want heat. I don't get it!

Just set it to 15 degrees and select the fan speed you desire. This will turn off the heater, but not the fan. Also, it will prevent the engine from starting (to support the heater) when it is very cold.

Yes, on UK (EU?) models the 15C is special and loke "Low" on some other cars. On the Australian market I think the same applies at 18C (the lowest setting there?)

Thanks again for your advice.

It's a pity the manual doesn't say this, well not that I could find!!

And quite why the aircon switch leaves the factory on 'auto' in an EV car is also a bit silly...considering the desire to save leccy!

PeterGalbavy said:
Yes, on UK (EU?) models the 15C is special and loke "Low" on some other cars. On the Australian market I think the same applies at 18C (the lowest setting there?)

I've already asked the question here http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=20013#p20013

No answer. Australians are sleeping :D

Confirmed, lowest setting is 18c at which point the A/C comes on and the fan goes to high. Turn A/C off and set the fan to bring in outside air.

NAPpy

For any of the discussions to be meaningful, we need to complete the picture. The setting of the climate temperature as well as the PHEV measured ambient temperature and whether the snowflake icon is set, will contribute to what the PHEV does in relation to ICE operation or not.

The question was rather simple:
Tipper said:
Another perhaps silly question but how do I set the heating to give just ventilation?
How so is this not meaningful? ;)

But if you want to look at the effect on the engine, I am convinced that turning on or off the snowflake has no effect on whether the engine will run or not. That is, until you leave it on so long that it depletes your battery. But the same goes for your radio, lights, and what not. So, at best you can say that the snowflake has an impact on your EV range or on your fuel economy during hybrid drive.

Back