Hello and just ordered mine :)

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerHunter

Hi guys,

I've just ordered my Outlander PHEV yesterday and with 12 weeks to wait.... well, I hate waiting!
Gone for a GX4hs in black (why do they call it Amethyst which is a transparent purple?) with removable tow bar, protection pack, footwell lighting and a couple other small bits and bobs.
After reading and watching a few reviews, I think I've made a mistake and should have just gone for the GX4h. The additional safety stuff will probably just drive me to distraction. Still, too late now.

Couple of questions if I may:
  • The British Gas charging point - I've applied for it today, but have no idea if I should go for the 16 or 30 amp version. It seems that living in Scotland, the government will take the full cost of the 30 amp version (http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/scotland/Travel/Electric-vehicles/Domestic-charging-point-grants). However, I don't want to waste taxpayers money just for the sake of it. Will a 30 A unit in anyway future proof the installation or will the next car in 3 years time need a newer type? I guess none of you have a crystal ball, but your opinion would be valued.
  • What is all this about type 1 / type 2 cables? Which do I need? Will British Gas give me an option?
  • I believe a O2 signal for the charging point will be "variable" round here. I hope the guy who comes to perform the survey comes on a good day! It seems possible to have a point installed without the O2 signal, but it would appear to take additional paperwork. Have any of you been through this?
  • The salesman told me that you can stream video from a phone to the multimedia unit, but could not demonstrate it. Is it really possible?

Anyway, glad to be a member of the forum :)

Cheers,
Kev.

Hi Kev and welcome. IMHO the extra for Gx4hs is a lot of money for a couple of options that most people seem to switch off :!: And I would dump the protection pack and just take the rubber boot map and mudflaps - the door and boot protectors are cr@p :roll:

Can't help with the charger questions sorry - am sure others on here will respond soon...

Hi Kev,

Congratulations - and welcome to the forum :)

My personal opinion regarding the charger is to not bother with the 30amp version. The Outlander can't use it, and in 3(+) years time when you get a new car, things might have changed a lot.

Type 1/2 cables - yes I get confused by this too. A useful website https://www.zap-map.com/vehicles/ev-charge-point-selector/ tells you what we have on the Outlander and what it can be used for.

You might find BG are slow to respond - Chris of this manor offers a very personal, responsive and quality service - [email protected] - might be worth dropping him a line as he can no doubt answer all your questions and probably get your charge point fitted within a week :) I always like helping the "small guy" - and I hate BG with a passion because of bad history with them!

I'm like you, on the long wait for my Outlander to arrive. Can't wait - so I too can get frustrated by the MMCS! :lol:

Richard.

Good choice of colour (mine too!). I've got 10 days to go so understand what the wait is like. I had BG here to fit the charger yesterday. I went for just 16Amp, and to his credit the BG chap didn't try and upsell the 32A, he said better future proofing would be untethered, but I was fine with the charge master 16A. He did a neat job, good trunking through the garage to a tidy outside wall. I had waited the 10 days they said and phoned chase - they clearly have a lot of orders so I simply asked if they could fit me in anytime and got a slot 2 weeks after so fine for me. Shouldn't have to chase but it's rarely the fault of the bod on the phone. Anyway, very happy with the charger, all I need now is the car!!

Welcome Kev
Hope you are a bit clearer on the cables now - the PHEV has a type 1 connector whilst most of Europe is on Type 2 but you can buy a cable to plug into public charge points that has type 2 one end and type 1 the other.
I had BG and they were fine - went for 30amp with a tethered cable (which is convenient but less flexible for the future I suppose).
You'll be an expert if you read everything on here over the next 12 weeks!
H

Back