Hello from NE England

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatboy686

Hi, I am about to become the proud owner of a 2016 GX-4HS.

I have been a lurker on here for a little while whilst I did my research, but now I've made the decision I thought I would introduce myself!

As requested, here is some more info:

1. Expectant owner, due to pick up on Sat (17th June)
2. 2016 GX-4HS
3. Facelift
4. Looking forward to a commute that uses no petrol!
5. Cramlington, Northumberland
6. I work for a large IT company as a Project Manager
7. This will be my first Hybrid / EV.

I am looking forward to picking my new car up an Saturday - I can't wait!!!

Nigel.

Hi Steve, thanks for the welcome!

My car will also be in Pearl White - the best colour!

My main thoughts now are whether to get a fast charger fitted at home, or if the 13A charger that comes with it will be OK. What did you do?

Thx, Nigel.

I have the faster charger installed at work and home 3.5 hour charge and i use a 3 pin plug at my caravan which takes about 5 hours, if you go for the 3pin plug make sure it is hard wired to the mains and not an extension!
if you can leave your car charging overnight then the cheaper option is the 3 pin outside plug , plus both options can be put on the timer to start and finish just before you need to use the car is the optimum way to use it.
i have mine to finish charging just 10 minutes before i need to drive to work, i work 22 miles away( sunderland) and can make it there on a full charge and then home again after charging at work which costs me £1.20 per day as i pay nothing at work! this is opposed to the £7 i used to pay when i had a diesel car doing the same journey. i have a Mitsubishi dog guard from new that came with the car that i do not need if you want? just make me a reasonable offer!

steve

That's interesting Steve. I work at Cobalt, so my commute is only 8 miles each way, so I'm hoping I'll be able to a return trip on a single charge.

There is a free CYC charging point about 2 mins walk from my house, so I can see me making good use of that as well! I think I'm going to see how awkward the 3-pin charger is to use, and then make a decision based on that.

I might be interested in the dog guard as I do have a Labrador, although I haven't had one in my current car, and there's been no problems. I had a look online and they are £135 from Mitsubishi, which seems a bit steep, but I suppose they will be well made! What would you consider a reasonable offer?

Thanks Nigel.

STEVIAN said:
I have the faster charger installed at work and home 3.5 hour charge and i use a 3 pin plug at my caravan which takes about 5 hours, if you go for the 3pin plug make sure it is hard wired to the mains and not an extension!

I have used a heavy duty extension lead several times with no problems. As always, this must be fully unwound to avoid overheating and not be plugged into a multi-way adaptor in the house.

fatboy686 said:
That's interesting Steve. I work at Cobalt, so my commute is only 8 miles each way, so I'm hoping I'll be able to a return trip on a single charge.

There is a free CYC charging point about 2 mins walk from my house, so I can see me making good use of that as well! I think I'm going to see how awkward the 3-pin charger is to use, and then make a decision based on that.

I might be interested in the dog guard as I do have a Labrador, although I haven't had one in my current car, and there's been no problems. I had a look online and they are £135 from Mitsubishi, which seems a bit steep, but I suppose they will be well made! What would you consider a reasonable offer?

Thanks Nigel.

you should be able to do that journey both ways no bother on a single charge , i have had no problems using the 3 pin charger but bear in mind that if used with an extension lead you may not be covered by Mitsubishi for any fires or damage occurred! would you be happy leaving your car at a free cyc charge point for 3.5 hours? and then having to collect it when charged (thats if its working and nobody else is using it?)
yes the dog guards are steep in price , £40 seems ok to me if you can collect?

steve

greendwarf said:
STEVIAN said:

I have used a heavy duty extension lead several times with no problems. As always, this must be fully unwound to avoid overheating and not be plugged into a multi-way adaptor in the house.

that is entirely up to you , but i would not do anything like that to void my warranty regardless if it is safe to do or not. Have you had your extension confirmed by anyone in the know that it is safe to use in this way? bearing in mind that Mitsubishi categorically state no extensions should be used?

steve

Hi Steve,
Yes I think I will just use the 3-pin charger at first and see how it goes. The car will be parked on my drive next to the garage, which has power, so I'm hoping no extension lead will be required!

I think £40 for the dog guard is very reasonable, so if you are happy I will take you up on that. If you PM me you phone number I'll give you a call and arrange collection.

Thanks,
Nigel.

Back