How many miles and time we save...

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PolishPilot

How many miles and time we save by not having to visit the gas station so often?

Did anybody estimate it?

This is one more advantage of driving a PHEV,
I have found mentioned neither on this forum nor elsewhere.

I haven't given it much thought, but I suspect that in my case the improved fuel consumption relative to the Landcruiser is pretty much negated by the smaller tank size - in each case I probably fill up about twice per month, but a fill in the Outlander is less than £40 vs. the £90 that goes into the old Landy!

PolishPilot said:
How many miles and time we save by not having to visit the gas station so often?

Did anybody estimate it?

I've gone 6 weeks without filling up, whereas I had to fill up my old BMW every two weeks. Which is great. But on the other hand, whenever I do a 200 mile round trip to London I have to fill up twice. I'm sure some with regular charging opportunities and short daily journeys are probably thousands of miles in and still on their first tank of fuel. Those who don't have the opportunity to charge much and/or have long journeys will of course be cursing the small petrol tank and visiting the pumps very regularly!

DrSlackBladder said:
PolishPilot said:

Did anybody estimate it?

I've gone 6 weeks without filling up, whereas I had to fill up my old BMW every two weeks. Which is great. But on the other hand, whenever I do a 200 mile round trip to London I have to fill up twice. I'm sure some with regular charging opportunities and short daily journeys are probably thousands of miles in and still on their first tank of fuel. Those who don't have the opportunity to charge much and/or have long journeys will of course be cursing the small petrol tank and visiting the pumps very regularly!

How come you have to fill up twice on your 200 mile round trip? A full tank should give you a range that is comfortably over 300 miles.

maby said:
DrSlackBladder said:
PolishPilot said:

Did anybody estimate it?

How come you have to fill up twice on your 200 mile round trip? A full tank should give you a range that is comfortably over 300 miles.

Sorry, 200 miles each way for a 400 mile round trip. I'm in North Wales, London is a fair old trek!
I do a 120 miles each way 240 mile round trip to Leicester sometimes, and I can just manage this on one full charge and a tank of petrol. I could probably manage it more comfortably if I drove at 50 mph, but this is typically cruising at 70 mph.

filled up fuel tank, fully charged battery then drove portmouth A3 to m25 then onto m4 heston recharged battery then central london in middle of night no traffic speed mostly 50mph. [no cruise control used]

return central london a4 then to north surrey then a3 to portmouth. filled up with petrol at £1.08 fuel bill £15

used b5 paddle setting, made the best of downhill to add charge, and drove as economic as possile scored 4 out of 5 leafs, also had eco setting on, no air con just normal heater.

when done prev on a transit camper it would have been around £50 of fuel.

This was actually quite a key reason for me to buy this car - if you don't live near any petrol stations it is a right pain to plan your fill ups and you end up making a special journey...
And as I mentioned on another post, think of the impulse purchases (crisps, chocolate etc) and calories saved by not going to the gas station!
Now I see visiting a petrol station as a sign of weakness - you mean I actually used some petrol?! Curses! :cry:
H

Back