How many miles (or km) have you managed on one tank?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have passed 1,800 miles, tank almost empty now. Not sure I will make it to 2,000...

As explained on other threads, on my daily commute I can complete the 25 mile journey in one direction easily without using petrol, because there is a total of 800 feet of drop, but in the reverse direction I use petrol on the final 2~3 miles. Also I have had to do that journey entirely on petrol 2 or 3 times when the car has been back to the dealers for the day, having faults fixed. The dealership has now got into the habbit of charging it for me!

Some great results here, looks like it's between aitchjaybee, PaulRB and jdsx as to who can stretch the remaining fuel the furthest :D

All three must be comfortably over the 200mpg mark by now...

I've had my car for just under 2 months, but it's going to be a while before I use a full tank of fuel, because most of my journeys are less than 30 miles, with the longest journeys being about 80 miles so far. As a result I topped up the tank just to see what the figures were and how accurate the fuel gauge was. I have done 966 miles and used 4.5 gallons, which equates to just under 215 miles per gallon. Electric charging costs so far are about £31. I have solar panels at home, which reduces the charging costs considerably on sunny days during this summer's good weather. Electric costs are approx 3p per mile, while the overall average is about 6p per mile. Far cheaper than my Subaru Forester Diesel, which was 15p per mile.

Only concern I have it that despite driving in Eco Mode, with no A/C, and minimal other electrics on, and gentle acceleration, I struggle to get more than 25 miles out of a fully charged battery. What ranges do other people get on electric only? The car is going into the dealer next week to be checked out, because they also think I should be doing better than that under those conditions.

25 miles is pretty standard for me, and I too drive in eco mode and with no a/c. Hardly even had to use the heating yet :lol: I reckon Mitsubishi's '31.5 miles' is (like most quoted figures for ICE cars) practically unachievable in the real world....

Chrisdy said:
Only concern I have it that despite driving in Eco Mode, with no A/C, and minimal other electrics on, and gentle acceleration, I struggle to get more than 25 miles out of a fully charged battery. What ranges do other people get on electric only? The car is going into the dealer next week to be checked out, because they also think I should be doing better than that under those conditions.
At 30-40mph urban driving I get about 25 miles with A/C on and about 28-30 with A/C off. Gentle driving of course. Do you have steep hills or drive at over 40mph much?

Kind regards,
Mark

avensys said:
Chrisdy said:
At 30-40mph urban driving I get about 25 miles with A/C on and about 28-30 with A/C off. Gentle driving of course. Do you have steep hills or drive at over 40mph much?

Kind regards,
Mark

There is a short hill up to the place I work, but then it's downhill on the way home, so should even out. Majority of the journeys are 40mph or less, but I do a couple of 20 mile round trips every week where the roads are 60mph. However, I tend to use the adaptive cruise on those journeys, which seems very efficient and the average speed is probably about 48mph. I wouldn't mind getting 28-30 miles in Eco mode with aircon off, but it just isn't happening. If I switch the aircon on, the range drops to 21/22, which is about what you expect if only getting 25 without it. We'll see what the dealer says after he's checked it out.

My journey to work i about 42 miles and I can get around 20-22 miles just on electric if I utilise the save button to only when doing between 30-50mph. However I am going to come no where in this how long can a tank last! I reckon I have done about 1/3 a tank for about 300 miles which still ain't to shabby but I have some long journeys soon

PaulRB said:
Not sure I will make it to 2,000...

I did it! 2008 miles, still around 45 miles total range available.

Have filled the tank again and reset the trip meters (as I won't be able to use the odometer as easilly this time...)

did it! 2008 miles, still around 45 miles total range available.
Congratulations :D

Do post up your mpg calc. as well - we don't know how much petrol you put in.

Don't think I will be beating this anytime soon, so it's over to you aitchjaybee and jdsx :cool:

maddogsetc said:
did it! 2008 miles, still around 45 miles total range available.
Do post up your mpg calc. as well

This is really rough, I can't remember how much I paid per litre on that first fill-up. I will assume same price I filled up at today. It was probably more expensive, knowing that garage.

I paid £47.19, assuming 126.7p per litre, that's 37 litres or 8.1 UK gallons. That ties up well with how much I put in this morning. There were a handful of miles on the odometer the day I picked the car up, I'll guess that was around 30 by the time I filled up. That gives 240~245 miles per UK gallon.

Of course, I have charged up twice per day on all but a handful of working days. I have not kept a record. Also, although I can find out what I pay per KW Hr at home, I don't know what my employer pays when I charge up at work. So I can't really give an accurate pence per mile figure. I really must read the manual on how to use the PHEV's computer to do that stuff...

I filled up after just 6 days. I have done a fairly atypical week, because as well as some short journeys using mainly electricity I also did a long return journey at the weekend, mainly on dual carriageway and motorway using cruise at 70mph. This screenshot shows my figures at the time:

mpg1sttank.jpg

The figure it shows of 44.8mpg over the whole tank is pretty disappointing, however my own figures work out at 54mpg which is a bit better. I am also not sure how accurate the 51% EV driving figure is and whether that relates to the whole tankful or just the latest journey. But if you take that figure and apply it to calculate how much of the mileage was done using petrol the figure is even worse - 27mpg.

I'd be interested to find out what other people think, because so far these figures don't impress me. I know that I will save a lot of money on the short journeys but Mitsubishi have led me to believe that the car is economical even when not using battery power, and I think perhaps it's not.

Hi dmd
Re the % EV - I reckon the % relates to the energy used, not distance travelled. I haven't bothered checking the manual re this, but I have noticed:

On a regular journey I do which is longer than ev range, where I choose to use save on faster stretches - the % goes down disproportionately quickly when the ICE is on (i.e. it drops a % over a few hundred yards). When I am back on ev and driving really gently/gliding it takes ages for the % to rise again. It must be energy %, not distance. When calculating mpg on a longer journey I would just assume 25 miles on a charge OR add in your charging costs and work out cost per mile.

I have found the car to do 38-40mpg without electric - not bad for a big car...

Cheers
H

And I should add, if there was figure displayed for % of journey distance travelled with the ice off, that would be more useful - to see the distance travelled on ev/gliding so you could maximise that on a regular journey. But since the ICE can charge the battery, it gets a bit difficult to get any meaningful data. The % as it stands is no use to me unless anyone can come up with a way to look differently at it!
H

Dmd. Your display is in auto mode, not manual mode, which is probably why your mpg looks low. Toggle to manual either through the settings on the display screen in front of you or through info/trip on the MMCS

dmd said:

I'd be interested to find out what other people think, because so far these figures don't impress me. I know that I will save a lot of money on the short journeys but Mitsubishi have led me to believe that the car is economical even when not using battery power, and I think perhaps it's not.

I am as disappointed as you are.

I just did a trip of 424km with no battery charge at the beginning and burned 40,69l.
This was 90% motorway, constant 130 to 140km/h, the rest was city 50 to 70 km/h.
(140 km/h is the speed limit on motorways in Poland, I usually cruise with this speed.)

This is exactly 9,6l/100km, which is by far not impressing.

The biggest problem is the small tank. I could accept such fuel consumption on such a big car
but with a 70l tank.
My big Toyota Hilux 2.5 diesel takes on similar trip 11l/100km, but has a 83l tank.
It means 750km range, and not 420 !

I barely made this trip from the seaside home near Warsaw, the fuel alarm blinking
the last 25km. Rather stressing.

On the brighter side, over the weekend I travelled 162km, charging full every night at the hotel,
(2 full charges from empty) and burned just 5,52l. Which is just 3.4l/100km.

Nevertheless, both figures far from the numbers in the brochure.

Says in the manual:

Depending on the operating conditions of your vehicle, the fuel in the fuel tank may not be used for a long time and stay in the tank, resulting in deterioration of the fuel quality. As this may affect the engine and fuel system parts, observe the following instructions:

• Run the engine by pressing the battery charge switch at least once in 3 months.

• Refuel 20 litres or more of fuel every 6 months (to make the total refueling amount in 6 months be 20 litres or more).

Anyone had the car long enough for this to be relevant? What do you think?

rgilyead said:
Says in the manual:

Depending on the operating conditions of your vehicle, the fuel in the fuel tank may not be used for a long time and stay in the tank, resulting in deterioration of the fuel quality. As this may affect the engine and fuel system parts, observe the following instructions:

• Run the engine by pressing the battery charge switch at least once in 3 months.

• Refuel 20 litres or more of fuel every 6 months (to make the total refueling amount in 6 months be 20 litres or more).

Anyone had the car long enough for this to be relevant? What do you think?

There has been some discussion about this before. The FAQ section on the Australian website says:
'To prevent engine damage caused by fuel deterioration, the engine starts to consume fuel if no more than 20 litres of gasoline have been added to the fuel tank in six straight months. The engine will continue to operate automatically while driving (in Hybrid mode) until the fuel tank is filled with at least 20 litres of fuel.'
I think jaapv had slightly different figures, but no doubt he will see this and comment.....

PaulRB said:
PaulRB said:
Not sure I will make it to 2,000...

I did it! 2008 miles, still around 45 miles total range available.

well done! Just an update for me, I'm on 1,817 miles / half a tank, as I'm overseas with work this week, left car at home. I'm missing it!!

Back