How many miles (or km) have you managed on one tank?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh :cry: thought nearly 1000 miles on under half a tank wasn't bad...
Had the car nearly 3 months now and coming up to 4000 miles in total (with a fair bit of petrol due to holidays).
H

That's a fantastic MPG, but shouldn't we be looking at this from a different angle and be quoting a cost per mile?
Whilst you have travelled 758 miles a great deal of those miles would have been on battery power which have cost you to charge, so would it be fairer to combine this cost with the cost of the petrol to give you a cost per mile!
Fingers crossed collecting mine on Monday
Peter

The biggest problem is the small tank. I could accept such fuel consumption on such a big car
but with a 70l tank.
My big Toyota Hilux 2.5 diesel takes on similar trip 11l/100km, but has a 83l tank.
It means 750km range, and not 420 !

The small tank is I'm sure a deliberate compromise, probably partly to free up space for the batteries but also to reduce the weight of the vehicle and thereby keep the petrol consumption / CO2 down. Given that most (?) of these cars will be used most of the time for shorter journeys on EV mode it makes no sense to be driving around with 80 kg of fuel on board. This dawned on me in a previous thread where I'd postulated the idea of topping up every month so that I could keep an accurate log of the total fuel and electric cost (and therefore cost per mile) on an ongoing basis. Another poster pointed out the extra weight I'd be carrying around. As I have to fill a Jerry can every now and then to top a tractor up I know how heavy 20 litres of diesel is :shock:

Having said all that, as I'm a bit anal about logging my fuel consumption I'm still running it brim to empty (ish) so that I can keep accurate records (and so that I can do my best to post a good figure on here :mrgreen: ). But I'm sure it makes much more sense (for me) to keep it around the quarter tank most of the time.

As regards the %EV, I've stopped even looking at this other than in the very short term. As Hypermiler implies, it's totally unclear what algorithm it's using and in any event the Manual figure always resets to 100% other than in the very short term anyway.

Peter said:
That's a fantastic MPG, but shouldn't we be looking at this from a different angle and be quoting a cost per mile?
Whilst you have travelled 758 miles a great deal of those miles would have been on battery power which have cost you to charge, so would it be fairer to combine this cost with the cost of the petrol to give you a cost per mile!
Peter

Definitely - that's why I like to think in terms of MPGE - Miles Per Gallon Equivalent - calculated by converting the cost of charging to an equivalent fuel consumption at the current prices for petrol and electricity. I know others have advocated a price per mile, but there are no such figures around for conventional cars, so it does not help us make comparisons - we all know that a car which does 20mpg is expensive to run and one doing 60mpg is pretty good. I did some calculations when we first got interested in the car and came to the conclusion that the best we could get out of the car would be around 180 mpge - that is assuming that we only ever ran in EV mode and charged at our current electricity tariff. We probably could do better by switching to an Economy 7 tariff, but that would impact on the price we pay for domestic electricity in the rest of the house and when I ran the model, the overall effect on our household expenditure would not have been significant.

In practice, I'm expecting to get between 55 and 60 mpge given our standard pattern of use.

Peter said:
Peter

That's very true, but the problem is I have no idea how much it costs to charge as the meter that comes with the wall-unit I have is renowned for being wildly inaccurate. I'm budgeting around £20 a month on my electricity bill to charge the car up. It's 3 hours or so and my day kw/h rate is about 10p (I can't be bothered to charge it up at night!), but for mid-Aug to mid Sept the most accurate figure I got for the actual electricity cost was £17.80. That's the equivalent of charging it up once every three days, which given the mileage I do, is about right.

At £20 a month, that is not too disimilar to the road tax for the diesel version of the PHEV, so you can take the statistics either way. Incorporate the cost to charge the car as well as the fuel, or just calculate how much fuel the car uses.

A true cost per mile and I guess things like depreciation and insurance would need to be included too! :)

phevmike said:
That's very true, but the problem is I have no idea how much it costs to charge as the meter that comes with the wall-unit I have is renowned for being wildly inaccurate. I'm budgeting around £20 a month on my electricity bill to charge the car up. It's 3 hours or so and my day kw/h rate is about 10p (I can't be bothered to charge it up at night!), but for mid-Aug to mid Sept the most accurate figure I got for the actual electricity cost was £17.80. That's the equivalent of charging it up once every three days, which given the mileage I do, is about right.

At £20 a month, that is not too disimilar to the road tax for the diesel version of the PHEV, so you can take the statistics either way. Incorporate the cost to charge the car as well as the fuel, or just calculate how much fuel the car uses.

A true cost per mile and I guess things like depreciation and insurance would need to be included too! :)

At current prices, I reckon that comes out around 70mpge, doesn't it?

Peter said:
Peter

Got my car today, haven't charged it yet but as I don't have a charging point either I will be using the 3 pin lead that comes with the car. Has anybody used a plug-in monitor to check how much "fuel" they have put to enable a total cost per mile calculation?

greendwarf said:
Got my car today, haven't charged it yet but as I don't have a charging point either I will be using the 3 pin lead that comes with the car. Has anybody used a plug-in monitor to check how much "fuel" they have put to enable a total cost per mile calculation?

the MMCS has the option to do this - enter the price of your electricity per kw/h into the multimedia system and it tells you how much you've spent.

greendwarf said:
Hi
I use a 10a charger in the UK and my power meter shows slightly over 12KWh to charge from empty to full.
Kind regards
Mark

aitchjaybee said:
greendwarf said:

the MMCS has the option to do this - enter the price of your electricity per kw/h into the multimedia system and it tells you how much you've spent.

Ah, but you see I've only got the Gx3h so no troublesome MMCS for me ;) but thank you anyway, at least I know what I'm missing :lol:

Nowhere near jdsx & aitchjaybee's figures, but I have today improved on my previous 'personal best', having passed 1411 miles and with half a tank still indicated :cool:

Doubt I can stretch that half tank another 900 odd miles though so your records are probably safe for a while yet...

Ah well, had to fill up today :cry: . I managed to get to 1,942 miles, and still had just under half a tank showing; filled up with 27.78 litres which is just over 6 gallons I think. Fuelly average says 317.8mpg. Quite pleased with that..... :mrgreen: Haven't kept a record of the cost of electricity, unfortunately, so can't give a real figure.....
I'm about to do some longer trips soon, and now that the colder weather is coming, I can't see me beating that till the spring....

Just returned from the filling station.
I plan a longer trip tomorrow, so I filled up anyway, although still 1/3 on display.

Filled with 30l, done 918km, so a nice 3,26l/100km = 86.6 MPG (UK)

It was 4 weeks, charging every day when car back from driving, trips from 15 to 100km per day.

maddogsetc said:
at 1418 miles today I finally bit the bullet and filled up with petrol for the first time since the day I collected the car.

I'd actually forgotten how to open the filler flap and had to consult the handbook. Even then I didn't find it easily - luckily the petrol station was quite quiet!

So I now know for certain that 32.4 litres gets me 1411 miles or about 2270 km. My Road Trip app tells me I'm getting 198mpg - it's a shame the car can't tell me but it is, as we all now know, at least one digit short of a full statistic.

Adding in the cost of electricity (whether or not I've paid for it personally) I get to an overall fuel cost of 7.5p/mile.

I'm pretty confident I could have achieved my target of 1500 miles from one tank but chose to fill up a little early as I happened to have a Sainsburys 10p/litre voucher from couponbox.com and didn't want to have to pay full price, being as I may not be visiting another petrol station for a couple of months :lol:

Now, if only I could find a way of making the weekly shop at Sainsburys last as long as a tank of petrol...

Wow, 1418 miles and you werent even empty. What kind of drives do you have? rather short trips with charging in between every drive? i cant really imagine doing this with my daily drive to work of about 60 km. Unfortunatly i cant charge at work, that costs me a lot, would be nice to be fully charged at work. Maybe i can convince the guys to offer a station to recharge sometime in the future

maddogsetc said:
.....So I now know for certain that 32.4 litres gets me 1411 miles or about 2270 km. My Road Trip app tells me I'm getting 198mpg ...

One could be misled by this statement.

We all know that the 32.4L will only return approx 450km or so. The electricity that is used for the bulk of your journeys supplies the majority of the energy and this tank is refilled every 40 or so km.

I expect that in a few years when my driving needs change that a tank of petrol will last me about a year. Probably only be driving about 10000km per year on only free electricity from my solar panels, Even at a tank a year, a full refill may cost $500 by then. May have to work out a way of manually draining the tank and refilling it so the car will continue to let me use the battery only.

gwatpe said:
maddogsetc said:
.....So I now know for certain that 32.4 litres gets me 1411 miles or about 2270 km. My Road Trip app tells me I'm getting 198mpg ...

Ahhh, the power of selective quotation! It's an old post that's been resurrected, but I did point out the real cost including electricity charges in the very next paragraph. I plead not guilty your honour ;)

I wait in earnest for the 10 bucks a litre petrol price. :lol: 0 litres / 100km for petrol will become my priority. Also associated with $0.00 per 100km for the electricity as well from my solar.. What to do about the ongoing cost of tyres is the next problem. May just have to bury a crate to be opened when needed, like a good wine.

gwatpe said:
maddogsetc said:

We all know that the 32.4L will only return approx 450km or so. The electricity that is used for the bulk of your journeys supplies the majority of the energy and this tank is refilled every 40 or so km.

I expect that in a few years when my driving needs change that a tank of petrol will last me about a year. Probably only be driving about 10000km per year on only free electricity from my solar panels, Even at a tank a year, a full refill may cost $500 by then. May have to work out a way of manually draining the tank and refilling it so the car will continue to let me use the battery only.
Present-day petrol may well be spoiled (read too water-logged) after half a year, especially when mixed with Ethanol, as it normally is nowadays.

Back