How to lock the whole car with Emergency Key

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrazach

Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to lock my car when going surfing. Ideally I'd lock the smart keyfob in the car, take the emergency blade in the surf, then afterwards unlock the driver's door with the blade, grab the smart keyfob and that's it. Problem is the emergency key (blade) only locks the driver's door, so everything else is left open if you don't lock it electronically.
Is there a way around this? Thanks

I'm not sure this will help, but when kayaking, I put my phone and car keys (including the fob) into a water-tight pelican case, and then put that case into my water-tight stuff sack.

Is there any kind of equivalent for surfers?

Something like a water-proof bum-bag that stays strapped around your waist?

There is a 'lock all doors' switch on the driver's door of my car, so you may be able to operate that, then unlock the driver's door only and lock it with a key.

The trouble with this solution, is that the presence of the key-fob in the car, means anyone can open and steal your car, just by pushing one of the external buttons on the car.

You could try put the key fob in an RFI-proof bag and see if that stops the car from responding to the key-fob.

If that doesn't work, you'd have to remove the battery from the key-fob, and I don't know if it will eventually lose its memory if you do that.

petrazach said:
Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to lock my car when going surfing. Ideally I'd lock the smart keyfob in the car, take the emergency blade in the surf, then afterwards unlock the driver's door with the blade, grab the smart keyfob and that's it. Problem is the emergency key (blade) only locks the driver's door, so everything else is left open if you don't lock it electronically.
It looks you already have found a way but now you want to lock the doors without actually locking them or!
Change the setting of the vehicle only on the door you press the button to be unlocked, I believe there were a setting like that.
So lock it with the fob unlock the driver one by button, toss the fob and lock with the blade.

petrazach said:

Not sure where you hiding the FOB or what year vehicle, but on the '23 there is are 2 buttons on the tailgate: CLOSE and LOCK. Pressing the 2nd should work, but it might depend on finding a nearby FOB. I don't know since I don't surf :)

Back