Impressed

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul

After just 1 week of owning my PHEV GXH4 i must say i'm impressed i run mostly urban driving only doing max 20 miles per day. I'm mainly on battery with occasional ICE input for heating climate control

Paul

Nice..

In contrast, running around Wales this week with no charging and a big top box and you my mpg is same as yours without the leading 1..

But that's a totally fictitious economy figure. Don't forget all the 'leccy' you have used? Yes I know this costs less than if petrol was used but come on, try it out on a longer trip! You will be shocked by just how fast the petrol tank empties and how often you have to fill it up! The range indicator lies too. We don't rely on that figure now since we nearly came to a standstill after 40 miles when we started with a range of over 90!

My experience of the car is that although it is very frugal if used solely for local short journeys (think wife going to the gym, shopping, etc) it is extravagant in the extreme once you hit normal motorway speeds and travel any real distance (think visiting family at the weekend) Under 30 mpg is easily 'achievable' and I don't constantly drive over 70mph as some business users do.

Please, please don't take this personally, but many have a very blinkered view of 'fuel' consumption of these cars especially when only driving short distances daily and charging in between journeys. This is not helped by official economy calculation methods used and Mitsubishi's ridiculous claims which only got worse when the face-lift model arrived. Rant over!

You do have to try quite hard to get it below 30mpg over any significant distance - trust me, I do not drive particularly gently. Running it as a pure petrol car, you should get over 40mpg which is not bad given its size and styling.

Tipper said:
But that's a totally fictitious economy figure. Don't forget all the 'leccy' you have used? Yes I know this costs less than if petrol was used but come on, try it out on a longer trip! You will be shocked by just how fast the petrol tank empties and how often you have to fill it up! The range indicator lies too. We don't rely on that figure now since we nearly came to a standstill after 40 miles when we started with a range of over 90!

My experience of the car is that although it is very frugal if used solely for local short journeys (think wife going to the gym, shopping, etc) it is extravagant in the extreme once you hit normal motorway speeds and travel any real distance (think visiting family at the weekend) Under 30 mpg is easily 'achievable' and I don't constantly drive over 70mph as some business users do.

Please, please don't take this personally, but many have a very blinkered view of 'fuel' consumption of these cars especially when only driving short distances daily and charging in between journeys. This is not helped by official economy calculation methods used and Mitsubishi's ridiculous claims which only got worse when the face-lift model arrived. Rant over!

Hmmm.. Running long distances on the Autobahn @ 130 KPH average cruising speed gets me 11 KM/L which is quite acceptable for a largish petrol SUV with over 2000 Kg laden.
BTW, Mitsubishi proved that it can be done: They drove a PHEV from Basel to Amsterdam through normal traffic, about 850 Km. on a single tank.

Get the lead out of your right shoe...

EGGSCUSE ME Paul.
But how did you get THREE figures to show on your MPG readout? Or is this the long awaited mod they have done on the latest model??

I have to change to litres/100Km and then convert back to MPG.
PAIN!
I have to report in an ambient temperature of 36f this morning I actually did more REAL miles than the (Gu)estimated figure on the trip screen Including some pretty steep up hills, where I find 1 E mile = about 200yards!!!.
I started at 22 guestimated and covered 24.9REAL miles. Normally I reckon 1 E mile = about 1 Km real. i:e-.6/10ths of a mile. On the flat. But with judicious use of the paddles you can improve on this.

Paul I don't know what your local petrol price is or what you are paying for your leccy per Kwh.
In Poole petrol is 99.9ppl X 4.54596=£4.54 a gallon. My leccy is 11.53pKwh so roughly 1 full charge us usually about £1.20
My average hybrid MPG is 37 As they say "You do the maths".
When Boris J was being interviewed by JC on Top Gear he was raving about elctric propulsion and how it would save the planet. JC asked "Where do you think the electricity comes from to charge the EVs?" Boris' answer was.....wait for it.........
'Out of a plug on the wall" PRAT!
I am with Tipper.
The cars guestimates on range are a joke as are the claimed 148mpg (in my case being a 2015 model) and 32 miles per charge. We can't blame Mitsubishi because they used the government tests which we all know are b@llox.
On Youtube, you will find an Ozzie back to back test PHEV Vs Outlander Diesel. The Diesel won! But what they did not say was what road tax if any the PHEV has to pay in OZ (perhaps one of our antipodean chums could tell us)
The saving grace as far as I am concerned is the zero RFL without that it would be no cheaper to run than my erstwhile Yeti driven HARD!
So saying, it suits my lifestyle as most of the week is short runs, walk the dog, go to Tesco, that sort of thing.
Once a fortnight I do an 80 mile round trip with no charging facility available. so once my (usually) 22 miles through hilly Dorset have gone I am on hybrid 58 miles. By the time I get home after a fairly 'pussyfooting' drive it is doing 39-40 mpg

Just done a 230 mile trip starting with full battery and with one 80% charge en route. Over 90% motorway, 4 deg c, raining all the way, lights, heating, stereo, air con demisting often. 2 adults, 2 kids and weekend luggage. Some lengthy 50 limits, "normal" speed around 75 mph. The result = 37mpg.
Sub 30 mpg must be towing or all uphill or perhaps at 80mph+ To be fair, jams and roadworks do seem to help - save some battery for these.
H

Hypermiler said:
Just done a 230 mile trip starting with full battery and with one 80% charge en route. Over 90% motorway, 4 deg c, raining all the way, lights, heating, stereo, air con demisting often. 2 adults, 2 kids and weekend luggage. Some lengthy 50 limits, "normal" speed around 75 mph. The result = 37mpg.
Sub 30 mpg must be towing or all uphill or perhaps at 80mph+ To be fair, jams and roadworks do seem to help - save some battery for these.
H

Indeed - and if the weather was a bit warmer you would have got over 40mpg.

Petrol here is AU$0.95c per litre at the moment. Apparently the cheapest for about 10 years. Makes almost no sense to plug into a power point and recharge if the cost is what drives you. :oops:

gwatpe said:
Makes almost no sense to plug into a power point and recharge if the cost is what drives you. :oops:
I don't know how much it costs to use a public charging point in Godzone, gwatpe, but in the UK it's around 10p per kWh (fast chargers are typically free), so a full charge from empty costs about the same as a litre of petrol here (two litres for you in The Lucky Country). A full charge will take you (according to Mitsi) 'up to' 50 km, but I think we all know that's being highly optimistic - let's call it 30 km. Even so, that's roughly equivalent to 3.3 'litres'/100 km or nearly 90 mpg.

If you pay around the same for electricity in Oz as we do, that's still 6.6 'litres'/100 km (45 mpg), but I agree that's not too far from what you could achieve with careful petrol driving (though equally careful electric driving might get you closer to Mitsubishi's maximum electric range).

Prices vary per country. Over here - and we have a considerable public charging infrastructure of over 25.000 points- charging on a public charger will set you back about 25-35 Eurocent/kWh.
Using a fast charger is over 50 Eurocent/minute.
Prices that make it rather useless to access these points just to get electricity. It only makes sense to use one own's home electricity or one of the free points at places parking garages, Ikea, garden centres etc. or to avoid parking charges.

gwatpe said:
Petrol here is AU$0.95c per litre at the moment. Apparently the cheapest for about 10 years. Makes almost no sense to plug into a power point and recharge if the cost is what drives you. :oops:

I think I figured at the rate of electricity I pay, petrol would need to drop to around high 60c/litre for it to make sense to stop charging.

Concern for air quality however, would mean that I probably would keep charging anyway.

Besides, I keep getting free electricity from my local shopping centres!

Carnut said:
Jaap :
Wat heeft uw binnenlandse elektriciteit kosten per kWh in Nederland?
Colin.
Varies. Ipay 6 Eurocent/kWh momentarily plus transport costs and taxes that is about 14 Eurocent/kWh, it can run up to slightly over 20 Ec.

Carnut said:
I have to report in an ambient temperature of 36f this morning I actually did more REAL miles than the (Gu)estimated figure on the trip screen Including some pretty steep up hills, where I find 1 E mile = about 200yards!!!.
I started at 22 guestimated and covered 24.9REAL miles. Normally I reckon 1 E mile = about 1 Km real. i:e-.6/10ths of a mile. On the flat. But with judicious use of the paddles you can improve on this.

I find hills are a killer here in the Sarf Lundun Alps. I do 2 regular round trip EV journeys of about the same distance, around 12 miles. Into central Lundun is mainly with gentle inclines so lots of "free" coasting in B0 both ways even in traffic. If I travel Sarf towards Croydon then the inclines are steeper so less coasting & more Regen (but you get losses) and especially in traffic pulling away up hill really uses up the battery. I can do 2 trips into Lundun on one full charge but only one the other way. So this makes sense of what Carnut finds. :oops:

jaapv said:
Carnut said:
Jaap :
Wat heeft uw binnenlandse elektriciteit kosten per kWh in Nederland?
Colin.
Varies. Ipay 6 Eurocent/kWh momentarily plus transport costs and taxes that is about 14 Eurocent/kWh, it can run up to slightly over 20 Ec.

About the same as here then 14-20ec =11-15p
I'm paying 11.153ppKWh including vat.

Back