Interested in Purchasing 2023 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV – Seeking Advice regarding battery degradation

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jat78

Hello fellow forum members,
I hope this post finds you all well. I'm currently in the market for a new vehicle and have set my sights on the 2023 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. However, before making this significant decision, I wanted to reach out to the experienced members here for some guidance.

I've done some research online and found that the earlier models of the Outlander PHEV had concerns regarding battery degradation. Can anyone provide insights into whether Mitsubishi has addressed this issue in the 2023 model, or even in the earlier models from 2020 to 2022?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to share your knowledge

I don't believe that the 2014+ PHEV suffered with it.

In the 2023 PHEV MMC have changed a lot in the software and hardware, just as a lot of tech has changed in the last 9 years. There are added features to control temperature and charging rates, as well as being modern technology in the control systems.

Thank you DibbyDibbyDJ for sharing this information. Your insights have given me more peace of mind about purchasing 2023 Outlander.

Battery degradation is not such a problem if your daily commute is not around the advertised electric range and you expect to be on electric power only for advertised range. I know of vehicles over 200000km even 300000km and the battery is in 60% range.

I vote against 2023 PHEV only if you live in very cold climate cause it doesn't have a battery heater.

I bought a 2023 phev in August 23 . In the warmer months I was getting between 80 -90 K per charge but since winter has arrived here in Ontario it has dropped to 60 -65 K
Very happy with vehicle

I don't believe that the 2014+ PHEV suffered with it.

In the 2023 PHEV MMC have changed a lot in the software and hardware, just as a lot of tech has changed in the last 9 years. There are added features to control temperature and charging rates, as well as being modern technology in the control systems.
And what have the changes been? AFAIK there wasn't really much wrong with the hardware in the older models. It was Mitsubishi programming their battery management system so that the State of health of the battery was reduced over time. It wasn't like they were striving to acknowledge and fix their "Issues" they seemed to actively reduce the capacity, re wrote their warranty to avoid claims, and employed a team of people to fend off claims.

The problem was Mitsubishi and that hasn't changed. I wouldn't buy one without reading their new warranty and I would want to see measurable metrics in that warranty like other manufacturers do. e.g. "Battery is warranted for 70% of original capacity after 10 years or free replacement". From memory it had been watered down to something ambiguous like "Warranty covers battery faults". So they can argue that what every you have is not a bug its a feature until you give up.

And what have the changes been? AFAIK there wasn't really much wrong with the hardware in the older models. It was Mitsubishi programming their battery management system so that the State of health of the battery was reduced over time. It wasn't like they were striving to acknowledge and fix their "Issues" they seemed to actively reduce the capacity, re wrote their warranty to avoid claims, and employed a team of people to fend off claims.

The problem was Mitsubishi and that hasn't changed. I wouldn't buy one without reading their new warranty and I would want to see measurable metrics in that warranty like other manufacturers do. e.g. "Battery is warranted for 70% of original capacity after 10 years or free replacement". From memory it had been watered down to something ambiguous like "Warranty covers battery faults". So they can argue that what every you have is not a bug its a feature until you give up.
I think this is the case with all EVs. We've just cancelled our reservation on a new Ford Explorer full-EV after discussing the battery warranty - and that was not a cheap vehicle.

Martin

I have an April 2022 version of the new model which has now done 36,000km (22,000 miles) and have not noticed any reduction in fully charged range. In New Zealand it has 5 or 8 year warranty anyway although I'm sure they have fine print! A nice car, makes the old models appear very under powered and basic.

Back