Interesting FAQs from a brochure

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterGalbavy

While waiting for my GX3h I have been hunting the 'net for manual(s) and docs, 'cause it's what I do and found this:

http://mitsubishi-motors.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Outlander-PHEV-Brochure.pdf

Some interesting things in the FAQ section I have not yet seen, inc:

"A. The engine comes on automatically when I start up the vehicle, even though the battery is fully charged. Why?

To prevent engine damage caused by fuel deterioration, the engine comes on to consume fuel if no more than 10 liters of gasoline have been added to the fuel tank in three straight months. The engine will continue turning on automatically while driving (in HV mode) until the fuel tank is filled with at least 15 liters of gasoline."

While this may be in the owners manual, so not news to folks here, it seemed interesting enough to me.

PeterGalbavy said:
While waiting for my GX3h I have been hunting the 'net for manual(s) and docs, 'cause it's what I do and found this:

http://mitsubishi-motors.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Outlander-PHEV-Brochure.pdf

"A. The engine comes on automatically when I start up the vehicle, even though the battery is fully charged. Why?

To prevent engine damage caused by fuel deterioration, the engine comes on to consume fuel if no more than 10 liters of gasoline have been added to the fuel tank in three straight months. The engine will continue turning on automatically while driving (in HV mode) until the fuel tank is filled with at least 15 liters of gasoline."

While this may be in the owners manual, so not news to folks here, it seemed interesting enough to me.

Yes there was some discussion about this a while ago. If you search for 'fuel deterioration' you will find it. Originally I believe the brochure/manual said 20 litres in 6 months, but interesting that this has been changed.....

I did try the search before posting but the board said my terms were too common - like "fuel" and "engine" :)

PeterGalbavy said:
I did try the search before posting but the board said my terms were too common - like "fuel" and "engine" :)
Yes I wasn't trying to say you shouldn't have posted - it was a long while ago, and interesting that the advice seems to have changed. The search facility is pretty pants on here :lol:

jdsx said:
PeterGalbavy said:
Yes I wasn't trying to say you shouldn't have posted - it was a long while ago, and interesting that the advice seems to have changed. The search facility is pretty pants on here :lol:

I believe I was the only one that reported it happened to me after 3 months. Filled it up to shut it up, problem solved.

Another one from the official FAQ (http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/outlander/phev-faq.aspx):

"When replacing tyres, always use tyres of the same brand, tread pattern, size and speed rating. If the vehicle detects a tyre of a different rolling radius (however slight) it will indicate that an EV service is required."

PeterGalbavy said:
Another one from the official FAQ (http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/outlander/phev-faq.aspx):

"When replacing tyres, always use tyres of the same brand, tread pattern, size and speed rating. If the vehicle detects a tyre of a different rolling radius (however slight) it will indicate that an EV service is required."

I've seen that - and it seems to me that it has the potential to be a real pain! If it is as sensitive to rolling radius as this suggests, then you could potentially get into a lot of trouble by replacing a slightly worn tyre that has been damaged beyond repair, even if the replacement is identical to the original. It's partner on the axle will also be worn and there will inevitably be a difference in rolling radius - I certainly have no wish to throw away a tyre with a year or two of life expectancy simply because the other one has to be replaced!

This tyre size issue is not substantiated with real tyres. I now have a replacement spare tyre, and it is only the same speed rating. It is a 16" rim and the circumference is only close to the same as the factory fitted tyres. NO error messages appeared on the dash when it was tested for compatibility. The spare was visibly smaller. Same went for driving with low air pressure. EV service required only came up when when a wheel speed sensor failed, so no surprise there.

PeterGalbavy said:

A friend of my parents thought he could save money bulk buying diesel a while back and bought a large tank, and lots of diesel. Last year, still emptying his tank after a couple of years, he was surprised that the engine stopped. The diesel degradation had caused quite a lot of damage to the engine which required a re-build. He also had to throw out most of his diesel that he had bought.

Back