Is Outlander the only PHEV without EV button?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PolishPilot

I am slowly becoming sure, it is...

Audi A3 e-tron:
The EV button on the Audi A3 will give you 31 miles of electric range,

audi%20e-tron%20buttons.JPG

Toyota Camry Hybrid

2012-toyota-camry-hybrid-xle,X-P-351133-22.jpg

The small Toyota Yaris:

yaris%20hybrid%20gear%20stick.jpg

Toyota Prius:

ev_mode07.jpg

Plug-In Prius:

prius-ev-button.jpg

Toyota Auris:

toyota_auris_8.jpg

Toyota Highlander SUV:

rsz-toyota-highlander-hybrid-ev-button.jpg

BYD F3DM EV Button

f3dm-ev-button-620.jpg

Even 2013 Range Rover Hybrid has one, although good for just 1 mile. :)

The all-electric mode deserves some special mention here as it raised the same question from many readers: Why give the Range Rover Hybrid an electric range of only 1.6km? What’s the point?

2013-Range-Rover-Hybrid-center-console-1024x683.jpg

2013-Range-Rover-Hybrid-EV-button-1024x786.jpg

This button activates the pure electricity mode.

Land Rover inform me that they were not particular about having this mode. In fact, they’re only able to think about one application where this mode will come in handy: If you’re entering a hotel/house and you want to make a statement, you engage this electric drive and the only sound that can be heard is that of the “wheels crunching over gravel”.

In the very brief 30 seconds of driving the Range Rover on pure electricity, it felt very eerie and I was left with appreciation for this small 47PS and 170Nm electric motor as it had moved a 2.4-tonne 4WD SUV with three people and the aircon switched on WITHOUT FEELING SLOW!

http://indianautosblog.com/2013/10/2013-range-rover-hybrid-review-99415

Volvo V60 PHEV has the Pure button :
volvo-v60-phev-mode-buttons.jpg

The Volvo XC90 T8 also has a drive mode selector (as well as a touch screen interface) that allows the user to choose the Pure (EV) driving mode.

Maybe it is. Looking at those pictures it is also the one with the lowest rent switchgear (apart from the BYD, and that doesn't really count).

You raise a very interresting question.
The phev doesnt have an ev or zev button for sure, BUT are you completely sure that the other brands ev buttons really are ev buttons?
The reason I ask such a daft question is that my former car, a Citroen DS5 hybrid also had an ev button but the ev mode could easily be cancelled by the system. If ev mode was cancelled the car went in to hybrid mode automatically.
1. If the battery was near empty
2. If I was too hard on the pedal..
3. If the cabin temperature was too low
4. If I started defrost mode.
5. If I was driving too fast
6. In a steep uphill
7. If I was running the AC
Much similar to the phev behaviour actually.
For me it is much easier to drive the phev in ev mode, without an ev button, than it was to keep the Ds5 in zev mode, much because of the preheat function.
It would be very interesting to get more info on how all the cars you mentioned ev modes really functions under the sircumstances I have listed above before we say that the phevs lack of an ev button really is a problem.
It might just be that the phev is in ev mode unless we choose charge or save modes.

/R

morrisonhiker said:
Volvo V60 PHEV has the Pure button
For sure, I would like to have it too. But keep in mind: things are not always what they appear to be. The V60 had a separate heater running on diesel! If you turn that off, the engine may engage, at temperatures below 15 deg C. Even when Pure mode is selected. So, either the heater is burning diesel or the engine is.

Does it matter whether it has one? I may be in the minority but I find it hard to get excited or upset my car has no EV button or the option to enforce pure EV driving.

Paule23 said:
Does it matter whether it has one? I may be in the minority but I find it hard to get excited or upset my car has no EV button or the option to enforce pure EV driving.
So either you don't care for the environment or you don't understand the impact such button (or its absence) could have on the environment, even though it has been discussed extensively. Does that matter? ;)

Edit: or you live in Australia :lol:
Edit: or you bought yourself a model without electrical heater

Snowball said:
You raise a very interresting question.
The phev doesnt have an ev or zev button for sure, BUT are you completely sure that the other brands ev buttons really are ev buttons?
The reason I ask such a daft question is that my former car, a Citroen DS5 hybrid also had an ev button but the ev mode could easily be cancelled by the system. If ev mode was cancelled the car went in to hybrid mode automatically.
1. If the battery was near empty
2. If I was too hard on the pedal..
3. If the cabin temperature was too low
4. If I started defrost mode.
5. If I was driving too fast
6. In a steep uphill
7. If I was running the AC
Much similar to the phev behaviour actually.
For me it is much easier to drive the phev in ev mode, without an ev button, than it was to keep the Ds5 in zev mode, much because of the preheat function.
It would be very interesting to get more info on how all the cars you mentioned ev modes really functions under the sircumstances I have listed above before we say that the phevs lack of an ev button really is a problem.
It might just be that the phev is in ev mode unless we choose charge or save modes.

/R

First of all, DS5 Hybrid is not a Plug-in, it has a tiny battery.

Secondly, it is obvious, that with empty, or near empty battery the EV mode will not work.

You list is impressing.

Nevertheless, it is pretty annoying, when you get into your car in the garage in the morning,
you pus the start button, and the gas engine starts immediately, shooting your mpg to near 0.0.
A simple "micro hybrid", with engine start-stop function can do better.

I want to be able to leave my house and village silently and without tail pipe exhaust
in cold weather, every other PHEV gives you this opportunity, only the Outlander not.

anko said:
Paule23 said:
So either you don't care for the environment or you don't understand the impact such button (or its absence) could have on the environment, even though it has been discussed extensively. Does that matter? ;)

+1

anko said:
Paule23 said:

He didn't say he didn't care - what he said was that he wasn't excited or upset. I agree, and I suspect the majority of owners feel the same. This is the car we bought and this is where we are. I wanted a red one (like the diesel :twisted: ), the bodies are the same so surely painting a PHEV red is even less effort for Mitsu than putting in an EV button ;)

Carry on the discussion as much as you like but unless you write directly to the manufacturer, I doubt it will have much impact.

greendwarf said:
Carry on the discussion as much as you like but unless you write directly to the manufacturer, I doubt it will have much impact.

I have already done that. :)

PolishPilot said:
I want to be able to leave my house and village silently and without tail pipe exhaust
in cold weather, every other PHEV gives you this opportunity, only the Outlander not.

I do this every morning. I'm with Snowball here, the Outlander is in EV mode by default and it's only when you start switching on heating or accelerating hard that the ICE starts.

(As a caveat, I do understand the annoyance of GX4 owners who can't choose to heat on electric alone.)

Apologies for ignorance, but how does not minding whether or not there is an EV button mean that you don't care about the environment? I had an EV button in a Prius, and it was pointless for all the reasons listed above. If I buy a PHEV it will be for its general benefits, including environmental impact (although in the short term that's moot). Not sure if that means I don't care about the environment, but I'm pretty sure I do.

This topic seems to appear in so many different posts that I feel like I'm watching people "flog a dead horse".

YES we all know you would love an EV ONLY button.

YES we all know that the car you decided to purchase doesn't have one.

YES we all know that there is limited to no possibility that it will be a retrograde fit to an existing Mark 1 PHEV.

PolishPilot said:
Nevertheless, it is pretty annoying, when you get into your car in the garage in the morning,
you pus the start button, and the gas engine starts immediately...
Why not turn off the heater?
And turn it on later when you're on open road?
You could even put a "EV-mode" - Sticker over the heater button, as it has the same effect.. ;)

Here y'all go:
2sam7gz.jpg

(Problem solved)

Kim said:
PolishPilot said:
you pus the start button, and the gas engine starts immediately...
Why not turn off the heater?
And turn it on later when you're on open road?
You could even put a "EV-mode" - Sticker over the heater button, as it has the same effect.. ;)

Here y'all go:
2sam7gz.jpg

(Problem solved)

Good one. :)

I am looking for a sticker.

The above works for me, but it is annoying when the ICE starts unexpectedly, (Heater left at 23degs by other half)

The main problem for me is starting a petrol engine for a minute or two, then switching it off, not good for any enine as it allows condensation to build up in the oil, and damages the cat.

Apart from that, ECO and light foot seem to do the trick, also disengage the automatic AC from the Auto setting of the heater. (It will usually come on with demist but doesn't tend to start the engine for some reason).

How will we ever go back to "ordinary" cars, so boring and nothing to debate!!

Also, refer to Channel 4 Dispatches last Monday, glad I got rid of 3.0V6 Diesel Espace!! saved over £700.00 to date.

Cheers

Chris

Back