Mains operated tyre inflator

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzenator

Hi
I like to top the tyre pressure up on the PHEV every 2 weeks or so. So far I have been using the 12v cigarette socket to power the tyre pump that I have. Having read around on the forum I have discovered that the standard lead acid battery is not of a very high-capacity thereby making me wonder whether I should stop using the cigarette lighter to power the type.
I am therefore wondering if anybody is aware of a reliable mains operated tyre pump that I could use for the job.
I welcome any advice or suggestions you guys have
Many thanks

Driver5 said:
Local sainsburys or Asda - £0.20p or free.

Thanks for the suggestion, it would have been ideal if I was just down the road from one. My nearest petrol pump (or any such place with a compressor) is 7 miles away, the tyres will be up to temperature and therefore not in an ideal condition for a pressure check.

There should be no problem with the battery with what you are doing. Tne at will recharge it between your tyre checks.
I would be more concerned with the longevity of the 12v charger being used so regularly when it is probably only designed for occasional emergency use.

I have a mains powered compressor with air reservoir in my garage and have used that for years, after I got through a number of 12v ones which never seemed to last.

jazzenator said:
Driver5 said:
Local sainsburys or Asda - £0.20p or free.

Thanks for the suggestion, it would have been ideal if I was just down the road from one. My nearest petrol pump (or any such place with a compressor) is 7 miles away, the tyres will be up to temperature and therefore not in an ideal condition for a pressure check.

I have one of these.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/car-accessories-products/emergency-and-breakdown/booster-pack/?551777649&0&cc5_824

551777649.jpg

The compressor runs off the units inbuilt battery.

Its ideal for charging phones in the boot, camping and also jump starting too!

Keep an eye on the web sites for Aldi and Lidl. Several times each year they offer quite decent mains powered compressors at very reasonable prices - sufficiently powerful to drive air tools like hammers and impact wrenches as well as spraying

Slightly puzzled about the need to top up tyre pressure so often. I have a TPMS that displays the pressure. It has been rock solid for seven months now, I did not lose even one PSI. The only variation I notice is, of course, with tyre temperature.

jazzenator said:
... thereby making me wonder whether I should stop using the cigarette lighter to power the type...
Don't worry and keep doing what you did so far.
The 12V battery might be smaller than others, but you will not be able to empty it with pumping up four tyres.
And it is EASILY able to provide the 10 Amps (120W) via the cigarette lighter socets.....

jaapv said:
Slightly puzzled about the need to top up tyre pressure so often. I have a TPMS that displays the pressure. It has been rock solid for seven months now, I did not lose even one PSI. The only variation I notice is, of course, with tyre temperature.

Thank you guys for all your replies. They have all been most useful.
Regarding the TPMS, I haven't consulted the user manual as yet but my understanding was that the system is more for warning of severe pressure loss, as I am yet to find out how it displays the tyre pressures. Clarification would be helpful. I have a UKDM phev and could the dispay be a market variation for different countries?

I have the Steelmate after-market one one and that will display the actual pressures. Highly recommended.
Mine is a pre-TPMS car.

Can I jump in here and ask, what pressure are you inflating the tyres to?
The reason for the question is that I decided to check the tyre pressure for the first time yesterday (had the car since 30th April). All the tyres had about 48psi in them, but the book says 36 to 38psi. I don't want to let them down just yet as they don't look over inflated, but maybe I should. Maybe that's why I have been getting such good mpg (less rolling friction)! :lol:

heydrive said:
Can I jump in here and ask, what pressure are you inflating the tyres to?
The reason for the question is that I decided to check the tyre pressure for the first time yesterday (had the car since 30th April). All the tyres had about 48psi in them, but the book says 36 to 38psi. I don't want to let them down just yet as they don't look over inflated, but maybe I should. Maybe that's why I have been getting such good mpg (less rolling friction)! :lol:

I run on 38 psi which seems about right as tyre wear is very even. I have been amazed how inaccurate a lot of garage pumps are, so I always recheck with a hand held digital gauge (bought from Halfords)

I have to ask why the OP has to 'top up' so often - my tyres have been a constant pressure for 8 months now. Maybe they need to be reseated on the rims?

Thanks RazMan. that's what is recommended, so I wonder why it came from dealer with 48psi in every tyre? :?
I checked it twice with hand gauge as well as garage unit.

It depends on tempearture - I inflate to 40, but after a cold night they will be something like 38. High speed will get them up to 42.

Yes 48psi cold (16C ambient). I let them down to 38psi and could not believe how better it drives now!
I can't believe I have been driving around for the best part of 2 months with vastly over inflated tyres. I thought it was a little hard and skatey on corners, but having not known anything different just thought this was how it was. I drive it rather more conservatively than previous non hybrid cars because of an economy mind set, so never really pushed it hard. Can't trust dealers these days to do the simplest of things! :eek:

Is it possible they over inflate the tyres for the boat ride over (from some obscure reason) and are then meant to check / reduce them as part of the PDI before handing over?

Anything is possible. I wonder if it had a pdi. They forgot the number plates and had to wait for them and then go back the next day for the floor mats! :roll:

Back