Missed opportunites?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tipper

OK Not wishing to become a PHEV bore (had enough of that type on the Apple forums!), how come:-

There are so few LED lamps on the PHEV? Only the stop/tail lamps as far as I can tell.

Why did they not incude a heat pump mode for the aircon, after all all the parts are basically there? Renault have it on the Zoe.

Perhaps these things will come as the PHEV design catches up with technology, it having been many years in gestation I suspect.

My understanding of the bulb issue is that it is more an EU bullshit issue than a Mitsubishi one.
Currently all bulbs on cars sold in Europe need to be E marked
In short: If a light has an “E” mark on it, it means it has supposedly been approved – somewhere in the EU – as compliant with the myriad of bullshit European regulations applicable to such things.

It is therefore going to take a while (and money) before LED bulbs catch up as they :
1. Manufacturers need to get their bulbs E marked.
2. They need to be available at similar price points to current bulbs to be viable for any manufacturer.

I can't say that an ICE-driven AC is cutting-edge technology. I think they had another valid reason for going for fully electrical.

outofyorkshire said:
My understanding of the bulb issue is that it is more an EU bullshit issue than a Mitsubishi one.
In short: If a light has an “E” mark on it, it means it has supposedly been approved – somewhere in the EU – as compliant with the myriad of bullshit European regulations applicable to such things.

It is therefore going to take a while (and money) before LED bulbs catch up as they :
2. They need to be available at similar price points to current bulbs to be viable for any manufacturer.

Are you referring to CE marking? We've been planning the launch of a product recently and were surprised to learn that most CE marking is self-certified.

maby said:
Are you referring to CE marking? We've been planning the launch of a product recently and were surprised to learn that most CE marking is self-certified.

Only in certain industries. We design and make Personal Protective Equipment and it is most definitely not self-cert.

simonrh said:
maby said:

Only in certain industries. We design and make Personal Protective Equipment and it is most definitely not self-cert.

Well, yes - not applicable to anything with safety implications...

maby said:
outofyorkshire said:

And there are places where they are convinced that it means China Export... :roll:

maby said:
outofyorkshire said:

Nope...different to CE:

I quote:
An E-mark guarantees an automotive product complies with European vehicle legislation. In the UK, national implementation of Construction and Use Regulation 95/54/EC has made it a criminal offence to use a car with a non-E-marked part fitted.

The automotive bulb market is covered by Regulation No. 37, revision 4, defining which bulbs necessitate an E-mark. In general, bulbs that are fitted in external positions on a vehicle must abide by this legislation, although some interior lamps, for example those used in the courtesy lights on the vehicle doors, also require approval.

Furthermore, any lamp unit that is E-marked must have E-marked bulbs fitted. The number accompanying the E-mark is not an indication of the quality of the product – a common misconception – but indicates the country in which the testing took place. All countries test the bulbs in the same way against the same criteria, ensuring uniformity. Consequently, no individual E number can be associated with any superiority in quality.

So in a nutshell anyone running with non e marked LED's on their car are committing a criminal offence in the UK :eek:

Back