Mitsubishi Outlander Sport

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beanguilla

Hi, I am new to this forum so let me introduce myself. My name is Calvin Bartlett and I hope to find some help with my problems related to an installed navigation system.
On May 19th,2015 My wife and I purchased a Mitsubishi Outlander Sport, Malloy Mazda Mitsubishi in Woodbridge VA. with the specific request to include a Navigation System. We had to pay a lot of extra money to get this done, because the sales person first told us that the navigation system was included in the sales price offered but when we were about to signed the contract we were told that that was not the case unless we pay extra to have it included in this model and we did just that. However the Navigation system that is now installed is horrible compared to what we are used to on our simple Galaxy 3 smartphone. The map is very disappointing, outdated and many of the streets are not listed.It's very inconvenient to work with. On our last trip we had to rely on the use of our phone's GPS navigation System which provided a much better and detailed road map along with guidance for our trip. My Question: How can we address this problem or replace the existing Mitsubishi deliverd SD HC MAP CARD with a SD MAP CARD that is up to date to the current standards ?. If we had known that this system was so inconvenient we would not have paid so much EXTRA money for this but instead just continue to use our Smartphone's navigation system. Any advice to help solve this problem would be much appreciated. Thanks

Can you go back to the dealer and complain that the system is not fit for purpose/mis-sold so have it removed for the standard radio? It's easy to fit an aftermarket radio, I've just installed a Pioneer SPH-DA120 into mine. Connects2 supply a kit with the leads and facia including steering wheel controls, and you can get trim removal tools. Took me less than 30 minutes to do, and a little searching on the web on where to get access.

It might be difficult, but could be your best bet.

hdasmith said:
It's easy to fit an aftermarket radio, I've just installed a Pioneer SPH-DA120 into mine.

I would love to read some more detailed writeups on this, exactly which part numbers were used, what if any features were lost in the process. e.g. does the bluetooth stuff still work, how about the usb port in the centre console box, etc. and the connects2 website is horribly vague on which adaptors do what.

I have a GX3h and am finding the default radios UI to be terrible, it shouldn't require that much looking at the screen and repeatedly pressing the button just to select tracks from usb, its downright dangerous. so am entertaining the idea of replacing the head unit (in a reversible manner), maybe with an android auto one.

Mine is a GX3h as well, and I was daunted at first because you need to get behind the trim to remove the radio. I've done it before, but always by using radio removal tools from the front.

The Connects2 kit for the GX3h is CTKMT09 unless you have the Fossgate system. The Outlander Sport (known as the ASX in the UK) is either CTKMT10 or CTKMT02. I don't really know the difference between these two. Connects2 online help are quite good.

Manuals all say you should disconnect the battery before doing anything else. I didn't, just made sure the ignition was off and didn't have any problems, but I'm not recommending it.

On the Outlander, using a trim removal tool, prize the edge of the piano black part of the dash on the outside of the silver sliver of trim on the far side of the steering wheel. You will move the facia slightly. Repeat at different point around the plastic. Just above the start button is a pin rather than clip. This needs to be pulled out almost straight from the dashboard.

Disconnect the two clips for the climate control panel to get the best access to the radio. The radio is held in place by a bracket on either side (a replacement bracket for the new radio comes with the Connects2 kit - that'll make sense when you see the kit). The bracket is held by four screws. Careful when removing these screws, it is quite easy to drop one behind the trim, and you'll never get it back - yes that did happen to me.

The radio will pull out easily, and is connected by two wiring connectors. Just un-clip these. Easy, old radio out.

Connects2 supply the connector for he larger of these two connectors from the car. You don't need the smaller any more, just leave it in the car out the way. The other end of the Connects2 cable goes to the cable supplied with the radio. For the steering wheel controls, you will also need a little adaptor cable for about £5. That connects to the black box on the Connects2 cable, and provides a headphone like jack for the new radio. The original antenna connection is fine for the new radio. No adaptor required here.

This will provide power, control and speaker connection for the new radio. In the Connects2 box are new brackets which allow for adjustment of the distance of the screen of the new radio into the facia. Trial and error here to get the best fit. Screw the new radio, in its bracket, into the existing holes in the dashboard.

At this point, I would test the system to make sure it is working. If it is, reconnect the climate control leads, clip in the Connects2 facia plate into the car's facia, and simply push the dashboard facia into place. Job done.

Hope that all makes sense.

What I didn't manage:
I couldn't fine the handbrake switch wire. There's a device you can buy from America that gets around this. I don't know the legality of this.

I didn't bother to look for the reversing signal - no point on the GX3h - no camera.

The centre console USB port does not work with new radios. Mitsubishi have fitted it with a proprietary connector which plugs into the Bluetooth box under the radio (this stays in the car, but you can't use it any more, that's what the smaller connector is for into the radio). I fed a USB cable into the glove box. There is a hole in the top near the door fixing that does this perfectly. You'll spot it very quickly.

The voice control button on the steering wheel now acts as a mute button. It does not activate voice control on my new radio.

It really is. Why easy, much easier than I thought it would be. I now have CarPlay which I'm very happy with. It's also very easy to put the old radio back. You don't do anything destructive. There's no drilling required, and all the original parts stay as they are.

Hi
Just about to fit a Kenwood DNX7250 and you have taken a lot of the guesswork out of the operation, the only question I have is why do you need to pick up the handbrake switch wire?
Cheers
John

HighlandPHEV said:
Hi
Just about to fit a Kenwood DNX7250 and you have taken a lot of the guesswork out of the operation, the only question I have is why do you need to pick up the handbrake switch wire?
Cheers
John

On the Pioneer, some functions can't be used unless the car is stationary, e.g. video playback (which I don't use, the radio's screen is not high quality enough). In my case, the nuisance was with the AutoEQ function. Other than that, I didn't. Radio, and CarPlay work fine without it fitted.

thanks for the reply makes sense now, like you video playback will not be high on my list of priorities so not something I am likely to bother with with either.
Cheers John

All done now inc rear view camera this weekend, all very straight forward like you did not bother with handbrake switch but did hardwire dash cam into audio loom with voltage sensor so cam working as long as battery ok.

Back