Mitsubishi PHEV still dominates market..

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 816

Last year saw the PHEV hit an all time high in the UK and it dominates the low emission market by double the numbers of the next best seller, despite many other choices becoming available it shows Mitsubishi really hit the sweet spot with the PHEV ability vs pricing..

http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/manufacturer-news/2016/01/15/record-breaking-year-for-plug-in-cars

:D :D Yes, there are far too many of them around me now. Having been in the position of owning an "exclusive" car to now being in the "common as muck" category, I'm not happy. :)

Leaf drivers will be even more upset as they only have a 1 in 3 chance of getting on a charger.. :evil:

Mitsu must be pleased with themselves how well it has turned out. They have certainly sent the other makes back to the drawing board to catch up, but I feel it may be too late for some. Already there are tales of very long lead times for some manufactures to supply the demand from the company car market. I already know of one person who could not wait for the new BMW (to replace his old one) as his lease expires in June so has gone for a PHEV. It seems the BIK is king and the "badge" has lost it's crown. Does anybody know the company car market share loss BMW and Merc have suffered?. For our company it has been a total loss.

Sharky said:
Mitsu must be pleased with themselves how well it has turned out. They have certainly sent the other makes back to the drawing board to catch up, but I feel it may be too late for some. Already there are tales of very long lead times for some manufactures to supply the demand from the company car market. I already know of one person who could not wait for the new BMW (to replace his old one) as his lease expires in June so has gone for a PHEV. It seems the BIK is king and the "badge" has lost it's crown. Does anybody know the company car market share loss BMW and Merc have suffered?. For our company it has been a total loss.

This does seem to be another factor, relatively short lead times. The Japanese production model (Honda and the Korean brands are the same) of building a limited range but with pretty much everything included so no options means they can batch produce and build stock instead of waiting months for a special build to make its way through the system.

I waited longer for an (extended) test drive than I did for the car to be delivered from ordering.

As far as I know, it is not so much the Japanese production model (in Japan you can get a PHEV built to order), but the European distributors that pre order series of cars to their specs. Pre ordering lows them to stock up locally, which they need if they do not want to confront potential buyers with 6 - 8 weeks shipping time on top of the build time.

It would also explain why for instance the UK and the Netherlands have different trim levels. Which again differ from the Japanese trim levels.

Don't know if it is still true, but Mercs were built to customer order - so much so, that you could go to the factory to collect your car from the production line. :eek:

greendwarf said:
Don't know if it is still true, but Mercs were built to customer order - so much so, that you could go to the factory to collect your car from the production line. :eek:

Yes it is true, it was offered to me. Weekend break type of thing with a tour of the factory. I'm not sure if it is offered to all cars in the range.

Posting here rather find/start a more specific thread :oops:

In between taking schoolboy pops at anko, I've just had my 16 month old Gxh3 valued on-line, for probate purposes, by webuyanycar.com @ £19.760 (i.e. less than £9k depreciation) Whilst annoying high for probate, I am surprised that the base model has retained its value so well with a new 2016 version launched. I can only think the impending reduction in BiK benefit is currently distorting the market. Otherwise, it seems to bode well for those looking to sell after a relatively short ownership. :)

I would imagine that probate valuation is several thousand more than you'd expect to get actually selling ie it's the price one would expect to pay to buy one. Probably less than 17k trade in

Titan said:
I would imagine that probate valuation is several thousand more than you'd expect to get actually selling ie it's the price one would expect to pay to buy one. Probably less than 17k trade in

No, that's the price they are offering to buy it at for cash today - they don't know I was asking for a probate value.

I was going to get a figure out of interest as a tax valuation to determine when it made sense to sell it to ourselves, but WeBuyAnyCar insists on you providing your contact details and I really do not need yet more spam mail! They do have a reputation for quoting the absolute top figure through their web site, then beating you down once they see the car!

greendwarf said:
Titan said:

No, that's the price they are offering to buy it at for cash today - they don't know I was asking for a probate value.
Ah ok, that is good then.

maby said:
I was going to get a figure out of interest as a tax valuation to determine when it made sense to sell it to ourselves, but WeBuyAnyCar insists on you providing your contact details and I really do not need yet more spam mail! They do have a reputation for quoting the absolute top figure through their web site, then beating you down once they see the car!

You don't have to put in your real email address.

onlynik said:
maby said:

You don't have to put in your real email address.

Really? The web page seemed to imply that they emailed the quote to you rather than simply displaying it.

jaapv said:
You can use Blur (by Abine), which will give you a disposable email address.

Yes the quote is on screen but I needed something to show HMRC. However, all you need is to input the format of an email address e.g. [email protected] - the system is too stupid to recognise this as rubbish - if you just want the quote and not the spam.

We sold two previous cars when moving to the PHEV and my other half had a series of quotes for a '56 Peugeot 107 with really low milage and in excellent condition. WeBuyAnyCar offered by far the best price of all the online quotations, but when she took to them their final quote, following visual assessment, dropped by a whopping 45%! We took it to a local dealer who offered and paid about 10% less that WBAC's online quote!

Also, for the record, I have an email address which I provide for quotes and requests such as this and never provide my usual one. I check it a couple of times a week to clear out the rubbish spam and use only my initials in the address, its a hotmail one.

lg1726 said:
We sold two previous cars when moving to the PHEV and my other half had a series of quotes for a '56 Peugeot 107 with really low milage and in excellent condition. WeBuyAnyCar offered by far the best price of all the online quotations, but when she took to them their final quote, following visual assessment, dropped by a whopping 45%! We took it to a local dealer who offered and paid about 10% less that WBAC's online quote!

Also, for the record, I have an email address which I provide for quotes and requests such as this and never provide my usual one. I check it a couple of times a week to clear out the rubbish spam and use only my initials in the address, its a hotmail one.

That corresponds to what I've heard of them before - they initially give very high quotes to get you drawn in and then back peddle like mad at the last minute - not a good source of information if you are looking for an estimate for tax purposes. The last time we went through this, selling a company car to ourselves, we went to a couple of high street second hand car dealers and got trade-in values for the car against a rather small car a few years old on display. They were not the sort of place interested in taking on a two year old Landrover 12 seat Defender and the quotes were most acceptable.

Webuyanycar.com also throw in a fee so that combined with actual valuation being automatically less than web quote means the actual sales figure is way below what you are led to believe. I bought my new outlander through carwow at a couple of grand less than local dealers and to secure the deal they matched the webuyanycar offer after fee deducted. I had a 150 mile trip in my trade-in to pick up the outlander PHEV which I thought a bit risky at the time but everything turned out fine.

Back