Mitsubishi v independant

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seaneb

Usually when it comes to services I'm quite happy to go to the local garage but with the PHEV is it a bad idea? Can independant garages update software and do things like battery reconditioning etc like Mitsubishi? I know they are supposed to be able to but surely there's equipment to buy and special courses to go on and extra qualifications to obtain first which will undoubtedly be very costly? If an independent garage hasn't got the above then are they obliged to tell you that they cannot provide a full service?

No they cannot. Such service is only available in a workshop that has factory-trained technicians and Mitsubishi software, which in practice means a Mitsubishi dealer.
I doubt whether all garages will be honest enough to tell you so or expert enough on the car to realize their incompetence.
Not carrying out the service on the electrical and electronic part, including firmware updates, will void your guaranty.

jaapv said:
No they cannot. Such service is only available in a workshop that has factory-trained technicians and Mitsubishi software, which in practice means a Mitsubishi dealer.
I doubt whether all garages will be honest enough to tell you so or expert enough on the car to realize their incompetence.
Not carrying out the service on the electrical and electronic part, including firmware updates, will void your guaranty.

My official Mitsubishi dealer, on the last service didn't make any firmware update

I can see that MMCS firmware was old before and also after the service.

Does it means I lost my guaranty ?

Per the service invoice .. I see it has been done only the pure mechanical service ... so oil change, filters, etc ... EV system was untouched

... Anyhow ... once the basic guaranty is over .. I believe any good independent garage can service our PHEV .. since only traditional part need servicing ... the firmware update is optional .. like the need to update Windows 10 ... sometime computers works better with old firmware/software than not with the latest one ...

Well, if you had it serviced by a Mitsubishi authorized workshop they can do and omit as they like without voiding guaranty, but if you read the legal stuff, you'll find that there is no guaranty if the work is done by a third party.

Thank you for the replies. I understand and take on your comments regarding firmware updates.
However in the UK (and I thought the whole of EU) it has been illegal for a vehicle manufacturer to void your warranty for some years now because you had the vehicle serviced or worked on at a non-dealership garage. Provided the work was carried out by a properly qualified mechanic.

seaneb said:
Thank you for the replies. I understand and take on your comments regarding firmware updates.
However in the UK (and I thought the whole of EU) it has been illegal for a vehicle manufacturer to void your warranty for some years now because you had the vehicle serviced or worked on at a non-dealership garage. Provided the work was carried out by a properly qualified mechanic.

There is a special training needed for work on the PHEV
Which not even all the Mitsubishi dealers have done (at least not in every dealer in EU, like in Poland where the PHEV is quite rare)

So ... legally I think they can claim that an independent garage was not qualified for work on the PHEV

The work can be done by any qualified mechanic, but how many independents do you know that are qualified to work on a PHEV powertrain?

There is also the issue that you have to prove that any work done and any parts replaced were of a similar or better standard than Mitsubishi's own. If you want them to honour your warranty, you need to be able to show Mitsubishi the full details from the independent of what they did and exactly which parts they used as replacements

seaneb said:
This being the legal catch - prove it if he has not been factory trained.

ThudnBlundr said:
The work can be done by any qualified mechanic, but how many independents do you know that are qualified to work on a PHEV powertrain?

There is also the issue that you have to prove that any work done and any parts replaced were of a similar or better standard than Mitsubishi's own. If you want them to honour your warranty, you need to be able to show Mitsubishi the full details from the independent of what they did and exactly which parts they used as replacements

Hi. I'm not concerned about warranty issues because I don't have one.

Before I bought my PHEV I specifically asked the dealer this question (this is in Australia for reference). Their reply was whilst they don't recommend having the PHEV serviced externally, as long as the mechanic was qualified, used genuine parts, and followed the service schedule specified in the manual then this would not void the warranty.

seaneb said:
ThudnBlundr said:

Most probably your 12kwh battery is still in warranty .. this warranty last 8y or 100k miles.

elm70 said:
seaneb said:
ThudnBlundr said:

Most probably your 12kwh battery is still in warranty .. this warranty last 8y or 100k miles.

I think that the battery warranty on vehicles more than three years old were not really worth having. As I understand it, Mitsubishi guarantee my battery against total failure, but not against deterioration - isn't that true?

It has changed recently. At least in the Netherlands.

Initially, the warranty was 5 yrs / 100.00 km against failure of the EV drive train components. Since March 2018 it is 8 yrs / 160.000 km minimum capacity 26 Ah (for MY14, 15 and 16) and minimum 28 Ah capacity for MY17 and 18.

This also applies to vehicles sold years ago (otherwise it would not make sense to include MY14, 15 and 16 in the communications. As a matter of fact, two Dutch owners of 2013 cars had their batteries replaced under warranty recently.

Excuse my ignorance anko - what % of original capacity (% soh) would it need to drop below to claim for a 2014 battery do you know? Must get my obd in for a check but my charge cost from empty to full is now only 87p at 12p per kWh suggesting 7.2kwh. Thanks
H

Back