Motors still driving wheels while stationary?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Greendwarf,

Yes, that would very much be the case for when stopped - Neutral and Handbrake on. Where it works less well is when trying to creep slower than the surrounding traffic will permit, though that is perhaps a slightly different scenario from the thread title. In that scenario, the programmed rate of creep exceeds the desired speed. Thats when the holding it on the brakes with the resulting wear, energy loss and brake light glare occurs.

I remember the eplicyclic box creep from many years ago, and the efforts to ty and reduce it as much as possible through as low an idle speed as possible. I remember one vehicle that would emit a tremendous thump on selecting drive, and crept so stupidly fastso much to the extent that the idle speed on the 3.5 litre V8's carb was lowered as much as it would to try and eliminate it, almost to the point of stalling. Fortunately, that was back in the 80's on an old 3 speed epicyclic and never seen since!

Aside from the Polaris, which exhibits no EV creep (a bit like the Tesla, BMW and other EV's mentioned on the other forum), the only other "automatic" I drive nowadays that is not EV / PHEV is a JCB forklift! :lol: No epicyclic gearbox, just hydraulic drive for forwards and backwards - Lever forward for forward and backward for reverse. Not a single bit of creep till you give it some gas - literally, as its LPG fuelled :D

To be clear: I would like the car NOT to creep. My Ampera E (a.k.a. Chevy Bolt) does not creep when L mode is selected any I totally love it. Gives me 100% one-pedal-driving! I just have an issue with people suggesting Mitsubishi engineers must be idiots because they decided differently.

I know that this is a fairly old thread but I have some more info on this subject.

I have found that there are two levels of foot brake settings. 1. if you press the brake lightly the vehicle will come to a halt but torque will still be applied to the wheels. 2. if the pedal is pressed harder the torque is removed.

So, when I come to a halt and want to use the electronic handbrake I make sure that I'm fully depressing the pedal before putting on the handbrake, result - no drive to the wheels.

It seems the reason for the two level system is so that when you come off the footbrake to pull away the torque is applied to the wheels even before you press the accelerator. Hence the creep.

You need to be able to apply power with the handbrake on, your so-called creep. It means you can do a proper hill start, applying power till the car wants to move forwards and then releasing the handbrake so that you don't roll back. If it was the other way and power was cut while the handbrake was on, the car inevitably rolls back a bit once the brake is released till the power kicks in; the same happens if you try a hill start using the footbrake. They could have designed it so that no power is applied till the throttle is pressed, though.

I'm not sure what happens with the later electronic handbrake and "hold", but it certainly works as it should in earlier models.

Has the new model lost its hill-holding feature? The older ones will not roll back for one or two seconds when starting on a hill without the handbrake, irrespective of creep.
You can check it by releasing the foot brake on an incline that is too steep to be overcome by the stationary power on the motors. It will stay for a second and then roll back.
Documented in the manual somewhere.

Mine doesn't roll back if I operate the footbrake before releasing the handbrake. I've never tried it just by releasing the handbrake. I'll have to try it sometime, when not in bumper to bumper traffic!

Maybe I'm not pressing hard enough, but mine rolls back a short distance if I let off the footbrake and press the accelerator. Is there a setting for this, as I can't remember one from the manual? As you say, I'll have to experiment when not in traffic.

Every day's a learning day! Testing it on a not too steep road, pressing the brake and then releasing it seems to hold the car on the motors, according to the display in the dash, giving me plenty of time to start simply using the accelerator. I'm not sure what I was doing last weekend driving round hilly Halifax, but it usually rolled back unless I held it with the handbrake. It was quite steep in places, so is the power to the motors limited? And now I need to see if putting the handbrake on cancels the hold function

The hill start assistance might be an optional feature, not sure.

The function is always active and maintains the brake pressure for two seconds or until the car starts rolling in the selected direction. You need to apply the foot brake as hard as it's needed to keep the car stationary first if you are just starting the car and it's hanging on the parking brake.

The auto hold function is activated with a button, and it maintains the brake pressure until you touch the throttle (or unclip the seat belt...), so it's more for waiting at a red-light.

That is probably on the newer models. On mine it is always there. Hold the car by the foot brake on an incline and it won’t roll back for one or two seconds on releasing the brakes. No switch. It may have to do with the model level. Mine has the highest spec. I never use the handbrake, not even in the Alps.

I think the auto-hold came when they replaced the handbrake lever with the electric handbrake.

Now I know it's there, I can't make mine roll back at all. I'm still not sure what I was doing differently 10 days ago when it rolled back. It was on a steep hill with 4 adults, so maybe the power is limited in some way. But it's great now I've found it thanks to you guys :mrgreen:

Ivan said:
And if you forget to release the handbrake, it release itself when you hit the accelerator :)

So if you accidently hit the accelerator when stopped in a traffic queue - you shunt the car in front? Oo - that's useful :oops:

greendwarf said:
Ivan said:
And if you forget to release the handbrake, it release itself when you hit the accelerator :)

So if you accidently hit the accelerator when stopped in a traffic queue - you shunt the car in front? Oo - that's useful :oops:
Yes, do not make any dance step, when you are trapped in a traffic jam. Or put it in neutral ;)

Or get a pre-facelift car with a proper handbrake lever ;)

You shouldn't really leave it in 'D' with the handbrake on, as it is using power, which is the original point of this thread.

ThudnBlundr said:
Or get a pre-facelift car with a proper handbrake lever ;)

You shouldn't really leave it in 'D' with the handbrake on, as it is using power, which is the original point of this thread.

I _think_ that with the hold feature in newer versions you're fine (if not encouraged) to leave it in drive. I use this feature more and more ... it is very nice.

My MY2019 has the anti roll-back feature on hill starts.

Also, I have recently discovered the Auto Hold and I think it is great. Is there any way to configure it so that it is always enabled, rather than having to turn it on every time you start the car?

Dondon said:
Is there any way to configure it so that it is always enabled, rather than having to turn it on every time you start the car?
It's one of the 'features' of the car.
I feel like a pilot starting the car; press Power, Eco, EV, Autohold, PHEV Watchdog.
It's one of the things that become a habit...

Back