MPG/ l/100km on long journey using charge button

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
greendwarf said:
Being equally careful not to rear-end someone because you are watching the dial too much! :eek: :lol: :lol:

I can go along with that or end up in a ditch. I stick to B5

I typically get around 6.5l/100km on a regular trip I make though our mountains driving from Creston to Cranbrook British Columbia (about 100 km each way). Last month we drove from Calgary Alberta to Creston BC (about 550 km one way) ... started off with zero battery charge. The usage was just under 6.8l/100km -- that is though a number of mountain passes, A/C on speed around 100km. No fiddling with Charge/Save buttons ... just drive the car. I do put the beast in B5, but that is just so I don't have to move my foot to the brake quite as often.

Interesting point is that the car did report about 30% electric driving on this trip. I have to assume that this is from regular regen on hills and braking.

mellobob said:
I typically get around 6.5l/100km on a regular trip I make though our mountains driving from Creston to Cranbrook British Columbia (about 100 km each way). Last month we drove from Calgary Alberta to Creston BC (about 550 km one way) ... started off with zero battery charge. The usage was just under 6.8l/100km -- that is though a number of mountain passes, A/C on speed around 100km. No fiddling with Charge/Save buttons ... just drive the car. I do put the beast in B5, but that is just so I don't have to move my foot to the brake quite as often.

Interesting point is that the car did report about 30% electric driving on this trip. I have to assume that this is from regular regen on hills and braking.

40.94 UK mpg is very good, that as good as our previous car a Ford Kuga 150 bhp diesel powershift.

Fjpod said:
Using various Bs with the paddle is no different than using your foot lightly on the brake. It produces the same regen. When you want to coast, it is important to keep the needle indicator right at zero... no charging, no accelerating.
So I can either switch my foot continuously between the accelerator and the brake to generate light regen while flicking my brake lights on and off, or I can keep it in B5 and simply keep my foot on the accelerator and modify my speed using pressure - which would you do?.

And as I mentioned earlier, how often do you actually coast for more than a few seconds IRL? On roads round here, you're constantly adjusting due to corners, other cars, hills, etc. If I am on an open road, then I use the ACC...

ThudnBlundr said:
Fjpod said:
Using various Bs with the paddle is no different than using your foot lightly on the brake. It produces the same regen. When you want to coast, it is important to keep the needle indicator right at zero... no charging, no accelerating.
So I can either switch my foot continuously between the accelerator and the brake to generate light regen while flicking my brake lights on and off, or I can keep it in B5 and simply keep my foot on the accelerator and modify my speed using pressure - which would you do?.

And as I mentioned earlier, how often do you actually coast for more than a few seconds IRL? On roads round here, you're constantly adjusting due to corners, other cars, hills, etc. If I am on an open road, then I use the ACC...
I like using the brake pedal to adjust my regen. I generally use a light regen on the paddles and add more with my foot if needed. It does no good to have a high level of regen to slow you down when you only have to speed up again. Regenerative braking only recoups about one third of what it takes to get back up to speed. It is not good to try to get a lot of regen if you are not planning to stop. If you have to keep using some regen to slow you slightly during a drive, then you are building up too much speed. Your driving is most efficient when you don't use regen at all except when you come to a stop... of course, this is in an "ideal" world.

So don't use regen if you don't have to! Why on earth do most people assume that people use high regen all the time if they select B5? A gentle right foot on the accelerator allows me to coast in B5, slow down gently in B5 or slow down harder in B5. In B0 you can only do the first without using the brake and flashing your brake lights. Why would I want to use the brake pedal to do that when I can do it all on the accelerator?

I agree completely. Plus, I understand that the brake lights do come on when you release the accelerator pedal ... but I find it hard to run behind the car while driving to confirm this :)

Not on mine, they don't.

From what I understand, they only come on under high regen on later models to alert people behind that you're slowing rapidly. Which I guess is no bad thing...

You can run on B0, and only use higher B occasionally.

Or run B5 all the time with your eyes glued to the dial.

But perhaps the difference is that I'm located in rolling countryside, with villages 10 miles apart.

Why on earth would I keep my eyes glued to the dial? I drive to the actual road conditions so I speed up and slow down as is necessary /safe rather than attempting to achieve some sort of nirvana with 'coasting' for a few seconds. If you can't feel when your car is accelerating or slowing without looking at a gauge, I would suggest you need to concentrate more on the driving.

timtenchanter said:
HI all,

I'm a new Outlander PHEV owner and I'm in the honeymoon period finding out what it can do.

I can't seem to find anywhere the listed average MPG for running it in 'Charge' mode, for instance when doing a long motorway journey. All I want to know is the fuel consumption difference between running the petrol engine cruising at 70 mph and running the vehicle from the battery whilst charging it in charge mode.

I'm amazed these kinds of figures aren't more widely available. I thought it'd be a common question.

Thanks

On Tuesday I collected my spare alloys I brought on eBay, it was supposed to be 34 miles each way, 68 miles due to an accident we were diverted journey ended up 97 miles, we were diverted through Birmingham for 12 miles, at this stage my battery was fully discharged, the screen recording about 70mpg.

This morning I filled up with fuel to go on holiday to get a real mpg consumption figure, 97 miles take of 30 miles for EV so 67 miles in petrol mode for worked out 38.5mpg in petrol mode

Back