My 2-phase charger is ready. 3.8 kW for PHEV, 4.8 kW Tesla

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtechtuning

huh, after crowdfunding by IndieGoGo I have finished 2-phase charger for Type1 cars.
It works like this: it uses 2 phases with equal loading to deliver Type1 (single phase) power.
It controls load on both phases, if you start something on any of them - it reduces power.
See how it charges Tesla US (S60):

F2-A20-5.jpg

IMG_8944.jpg

F2-A20-4.jpg

For PHEV it can do 3.6-3.8 kW, far beyond factory charger. It can charge full from zero in 2.5 h

What kind of money will you be asking for this?
Still no plans for 3x10 or 2x16 A?
No plans for Type 2?

Think Ampera E and Nissan Leaf, both capable of 7.2 kW on a single phase.

Still a bit puzzled. Your site says:
Speed for Outlander PHEV - 3,6 kW (factory charger limits at 14,0 A), 8 A per phase
But the limit is in the car, not in the charger. Of course, you could trade amps for volts, but you would have to go close to 260 volt to get to 3.6 kW at 14 amps.

anko said:
What kind of money will you be asking for this?
Still no plans for 3x10 or 2x16 A?
No plans for Type 2?

Think Ampera E and Nissan Leaf, both capable of 7.2 kW on a single phase.

Still a bit puzzled. Your site says:
Speed for Outlander PHEV - 3,6 kW (factory charger limits at 14,0 A), 8 A per phase
But the limit is in the car, not in the charger. Of course, you could trade amps for volts, but you would have to go close to 260 volt to get to 3.6 kW at 14 amps.

I think all info are here ... including prices (ups .. actually indiegogo is closed now, so price is just "indicative")

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/accelerated-evse-charger-type1-2x-faster-car-electric#/

http://evtun.com/type1-portable-charger.html

Nice and slick product ... but about 2 or 3 times the price of a normal EVSE charger.
On top ... people have already one for free included with the car ...

@vtechtuning : How is doing the PHEV with extended battery pack ? Are the Chinese Lithium Polymer battery suffering more or less the battery degradation compared to stock Lithium Ion battery from "Mitsubishi" ?

On the side, would you mind sharing what manufacturer / type of connectors you used for the adapter cables (blue / grey-ish connectors that plug into the box). Or maybe somebody else recognises these:

ybormnndrz5fnmgjwq6v.jpg

elm70 said:
I think all info are here ... including prices (ups .. actually indiegogo is closed now, so price is just "indicative")

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/accelerated-evse-charger-type1-2x-faster-car-electric#/
Actually, info on InDieGo is a bit different, as it says:

Outlander PHEV - 3,6 kW (factory charger limits at 14,0 A), 7A per phase
instead of what it says on the evtun site:
Outlander PHEV - 3,6 kW (factory charger limits at 14,0 A), 8A per phase

And with 2x7 amps in total, you will not be able to extract 3.6 kW from the mains. Would be more like 3.3 - 3.4 kW, exactly the same as my 16 amps portable charger does. At 2x8 amps, you could push out 3.6 kW, but the car will only use it when you convert to higher volt / lower amps, due to the amps restriction.

edit - I just saw another short clip on the evtun site. This shows a PHEV charging at 14.85 amps @ 240 volt resulting in 3550 watts. About 220 more than what I normally see. This cannot be contributed to just the higher voltage, as 240 volt is not that much higher than what I have over here.

Please resize your images, they are far too large in pixel number and this forum does not have automatic resizing software.

As the type 2 input on the car is so limited, would it not have been better to target the Chademo socket? I appreciate it needs a DC input and a communication protocol so would require some microcontroller programmed for that and is a much more complex case. But the potential, especially for future vehicles the owner might get such as a large battery EV is much greater. A small cheaper DC charger could be in big demand soon.

BobEngineer said:
As the type 2 input on the car is so limited, would it not have been better to target the Chademo socket? I appreciate it needs a DC input and a communication protocol so would require some microcontroller programmed for that and is a much more complex case. But the potential, especially for future vehicles the owner might get such as a large battery EV is much greater. A small cheaper DC charger could be in big demand soon.

Chademo and J1772 charging are completely different.

Chademo expect all the charging logic and charging current from the "charging box" ... mainly it means convert a AC power source into a "a generator of current" for a load that has voltage between from 296v to 328v

J1772 is only an on/off switch plus signalling ... all the charging logic, and AC to DC + "generator of current" is inside the car.

Actually I'm very surprised that the Vtech charging box can cause the Outlander PHEV onboard charger to push more current then what it has been originally designed.
Anyhow ... having to "step up" input AC from 220v to 240v ... is looking a very expensive way to trick the system

Also ... for they way this trick is working ... it is looking like that the J1772 signalling is telling to the car how much current should be used for charging (current from the AC source) ... I would have expect that the car get informed about how much current can be used at maximum .. and then the car charger is free to use less .... especially at the end of charging process ... the charging current is all the time reduced in order to charge the battery at constant voltage vs constant current used in the initial phase

Finally ... reading that the Vtech charging box is faster because it avoid the PHEV balancing that happen at the start of charge (which can go as down as 1A charge .. per the web information) ... it does not sound something "ideal" ... I would personally not like to change the original designed charging process

In PHEV and EV .. there is a lot of "value" in the battery ... so for me avoid battery degradation is more important than win some time while charging ... since anyhow .. in my opinion there is not need to fast charge the PHEV ... better spend extra money on fuel than "degradate" the main battery

Finally Chademo vs J1772 ... J1772 is open source ... Chademo is not ... so not only technically is way more expensive the Chademo, but as well it require to pay some license for use this technology ... and this alone is a show stopper for a "small business"

elm70 said:
Actually I'm very surprised that the Vtech charging box can cause the Outlander PHEV onboard charger to push more current then what it has been originally designed.
Anyhow ... having to "step up" input AC from 220v to 240v ... is looking a very expensive way to trick the system

Also ... for they way this trick is working ... it is looking like that the J1772 signalling is telling to the car how much current should be used for charging (current from the AC source) ... I would have expect that the car get informed about how much current can be used at maximum .. and then the car charger is free to use less .... especially at the end of charging process ... the charging current is all the time reduced in order to charge the battery at constant voltage vs constant current used in the initial phase
Indeed, the signal only specifies the max amps. You cannot (by manipulating the pilot signal) force that car to use more amps than it normally does. When you hook up your car to a 7.2 kW (1 x 32 amps) or 22 kW (3 x 32 amps) it still charges at 15 amps. All you can do is increase the watts by increasing the voltage (at same amps).

And is there any impact on the 8 year battery warranty?

We know Mitsubishi tracks fast charges for their impact on battery cells.

Back