My spare tyre solution. with photo's.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SS2115

My solution to carrying a spare tyre.
I originally liked the swing out solutions that mounted to the tow bar, but then I realised I would lose the camera, the birds eye view and probably the reversing sensors as well. Plus of course it adds length to the vehicle.
Underneath isn't big enough for the diameter even if I moved the muffler which I had considered.

So it came down to exploring the best solution in the load area and I came up with mounting it vertical over to the side.
https://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/download/file.php?mode=view&id=809
https://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/download/file.php?mode=view&id=810
https://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/download/file.php?mode=view&id=811

I welded the frame together and with tyre in place positioned it front/back to allow the back seat to still recline 2 positions. It fixes at the edge of the join to the solid panel immediately behind the rear seats and the hinged section to get to the charger compartment still opens to about 75 - 80 degrees. Plus being fixed to the take-out panel, it can all come out once the tyre is removed to get to jack and everything else.

I will drive for a while and check everything is okay and then remove it and paint it - probably in the POR15 black after the welds and ground areas etch themselves a bit first.

Its also surprising how little rear vision it obstructs. Its only the far left corner and hardly by much. Where the seat belt comes out of the roof is where the edge of the tyre is. I tried to add a photo of the rear view mirror view but despite being under 1mb the attachments won't allow it.

Attachments

• PXL_20230226_205840940.jpg
    PXL_20230226_205840940.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 102
  • PXL_20230226_205852302.jpg
    PXL_20230226_205852302.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 101
  • PXL_20230226_205935598.jpg
    PXL_20230226_205935598.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 101
Looks good.

Our simpler solution was to buy a spacesaver and just leave it flat on the boot floor :lol: The well is a good place to store the charging cables and we can easily pack around and on top of it. We tend to take it out when travelling locally, so a permanent mounting would be wasted...

ThudnBlundr said:
Looks good.

Our simpler solution was to buy a spacesaver and just leave it flat on the boot floor

It won't stay flat on the boot floor is you have a crash and it becomes a loose missile that takes your head off. Unlikely, but could happen.

I still need to use the load area for small food forming machines I carry around for demo or picking up for servicing. With the tyre lying down I have no chance unless I fold the seat down and push the tyre onto it.
Then indeed I would be concerned of it flying forward in an accident. (my machines get strapped down with a ratchet strap).
With the tyre now mounted vertically, I still have a space 820mm wide which is plenty for my 500mm and 620mm wide machines to slide in and I have one of those Sales Tables that is like a mini stretcher so it just rolls in nice and easy.

A loose tyre inside the car in an accident is a valid point.
Starting off vertically though, my tyre has to crush the back of the back seat to get through the space between seat back and roof, and being attached by a hefty bolt to the frame which is also partially jammed under a nice recess in the back pillar, it has to drag the entire frame and back floor panel to which it is bolted to up from underneath through a 1.6mm steel plate the same size as the visible top plate with it past the seats.
So yes, I agree with the statement "possible, but unlikely"

But I think not having a spare is a ridiculous situation, and the repair kit is only good for tread punctures like nails and screws. What if you have the misfortune to cut the side wall.
And how long does it all take? Putting a spare on is the same or shorter solution with better confidence and security of continuing your travels and having the damaged tyre fixed later.
And I've heard the argument of 'when did you last get a flat tyre"? Well, living in the developing suburbs where there is always construction going on my wife's car picked up a nail off the road just before Xmas, and I've had at least 4 mails/screws that I can remember going back some 6 - 10 years in my other cars. All would have been very inconvenient and difficult to do anything other than do a 5 minute tyre swap. And we both work so there's no calling the partner to bring a spare tyre from home 2 hours away on the other side of Sydney.

Just back from another trip abroad, though without the car this time.

We only carry the spacesaver on longer journeys, where it is usually covered by various pieces of unsecured luggage or skis. No one seems to think that they should be tied down. ;)

We've had 2 punctures in the past 18 months. One was repairable and the other needed a new tyre. Luckily both times I was able to pump up the tyre enough to get it to the tyre place. On a previous car we caught the tyre on the edge of a piece of slate while pulling into a passing place in the Lake District. That caused a 5cm (2in) gash in the sidewall that no amount of gunk would ever seal. Thank heavens we had a spare, though getting a new tyre on Easter Saturday was a PITA :roll:

Despite driving for over 30 years without ever needing to use the spare in a Mini, 2 Saabs, a Maxi, a Holden, 2 Fords, a Montego, 2 Peugeots, and now an Outlander, the realisation that there's no spare still worries me.

I researched space savers but — because of warnings about mismatched tyres and wheel diameters on the PHEV — I'm not convinced they're a safe solution (prove me wrong and I'll be happy!)

I managed to pick up four identical Outlander wheels, so carry one strapped to the back floor on longer journeys. Not 100% ideal, but gives a sense of security — wish it were thinner and lighter, though.

Another downside is getting compatible TPMS sensors fitted — anyone know why this should be so difficult and expensive in north London?

Despite driving for over 30 years without ever needing to use the spare in a Mini, 2 Saabs, a Maxi, a Holden, 2 Fords, a Montego, 2 Peugeots, and now an Outlander, the realisation that there's no spare still worries me.

I researched space savers but — because of warnings about mismatched tyres and wheel diameters on the PHEV — I'm not convinced they're a safe solution (prove me wrong and I'll be happy!)

I managed to pick up four identical Outlander wheels, so carry one strapped to the back floor on longer journeys. Not 100% ideal, but gives a sense of security — wish it were thinner and lighter, though.

Another downside is getting compatible TPMS sensors fitted — anyone know why this should be so difficult and expensive in north London?
Hummingbird Motors in Colindale should be able to get them for you and programme them to the car although you will possibly have to use a tyre fitter to actually mount them on the wheels.

This YouTube video is probably known to many of you but may be of interest to some of the followers of this thread. Not sure if it is official Mitsubishi, or just some guy calling himself 'Mr Mitsubishi'.

Back