New record of 36 miles range shown on the Guessometer

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeJay

My previous record was 31, but just now came out to it fully charged and showing 36 miles EV range!

Interestingly, I was not driving like a hypermiler prior to this charge. I had been driving for 3 hours on the M4/M5, A38 and winding roads to get to deepest darkest Devon. Just for kicks, since the MPG of my last tank had been 83 due to a lot of EV driving, I thought I would this tank see how low I could get it as I am 4 up and full of luggage.

So started at the hotel in Newbury this morning with no charge and then hit Charge Mode when on the M4 and left it on until literally just before I got to my destination - was not light on the right foot. (Filled up just before I got to cottage, 28.9mpg for those interested)

Arrived with 22 miles range showing and roughly 80% SOC of course. Topped it off with the granny lead and when I just went to move and park it - found it shows 36miles.

It truly is a very weird algorithm behind that thing.

BeeJay said:
My previous record was 31, but just now came out to it fully charged and showing 36 miles EV range!

So started at the hotel in Newbury this morning with no charge and then hit Charge Mode when on the M4 and left it on until literally just before I got to my destination - was not light on the right foot. (Filled up just before I got to cottage, 28.9mpg for those interested)

Isn't this the possible answer - the "Guessometer" apparently predicts range based on previous usage. So if you are going to Charge whilst driving, you will get more than the theoretical 32 miles max from a full charge. Presumably petrol range would show an equivalent reduction.

My record was 44 miles... all bullshit :)

11009114_1067479159947392_3047883684506603919_n.jpg

That 36 value is telling you that on the last trip the PHEV was able to run 36 miles in electric mode, including the full EV mode gaps between the serial/parallel hybrid modes.

44 Miles is very impressive - But isn't it pretty poor that they haven't allowed for the fact it was charging and subtracted it from consumption? Since if I am driving on Charge, surely the "EV" range would be the same as total petrol in theory...

However, you are correct, as with an essentially full tank it is showing 271 miles total range, and I have seen that show up to 408 before. The 271 probably reflects the 29mpg I was doing on Charge Mode... ;-)

t3lmo said:
That 36 value is telling you that on the last trip the PHEV was able to run 36 miles in electric mode, including the full EV mode gaps between the serial/parallel hybrid modes.
If that were true you would see higher numbers after longer, beyond EV range trips. The longer the trip, the higher the number. I for one, fail to see such correlation.

The 71 km you were promised was no bullshit. If only you had continued driving the same way you did before (probably mostly downhill?). But you changed your driving pattern resulting in not getting what was promised. The same way, you may get more than promised by changing your driving pattern in a positive way.

My profile is always the same (80-90km/h, 5 people on the car), and its the second time I get this value on the same trip.
Even on the return back was the same range value after full charge.
I never used Save or Charge, and let the system manage the serial and parallel modes.

My drive mode is like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzIW7EWqs9o

Will check the results for longer trips :)

The reason for asking is this: you've seemed to have lost about 200 meters of altitude over the last so many kilometers. That must have impacted your average kWh usage. Did you also loose 200 meters of altitude before you ran out of battery on your next trip?

I've seen EV ranges of 45+ km on half of a battery charge after coming down from a mountain.

On the return the 200 meters of altitude were way behind and the final value was the same.

I must check the result on a different long route.

aitchjaybee said:
nice clear photo considering you were reversing/driving backwards at the time! :lol:
HJB

Heh. I noticed it after I had put it in reverse, so quickly pulled out phone and took photo with foot on brake. I too noticed that later... ;-)

anko said:
The reason for asking is this: you've seemed to have lost about 200 meters of altitude over the last so many kilometers. That must have impacted your average kWh usage. Did you also loose 200 meters of altitude before you ran out of battery on your next trip?

I've seen EV ranges of 45+ km on half of a battery charge after coming down from a mountain.
My record was 78 Km coming down from 2700 m to 900 m starting out with a virtually empty battery.

Nice values!
Let's try to reach the next hypothetical range level: 80 km (50 miles) :)

Interestingly, when I got in it again the next day after parking it showing 36, it was down to 33 (no changes at all, air con still off!)

Guessometer is an understatement. I would much rather have a %age charge somewhere, the bar is not enough for me.

Back